Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has announced “OZ: The Great and Powerful” for Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray release on June 11. The film starring James Franco, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis tells the story of Oscar Diggs in his path to become the Wizard of Oz. This time Disney is looking to split the 3D and 2D discs into two different combo packs, the 2D Blu-ray will include a DVD and a Digital Copy. While the 3D version will only include a Digital Copy (No 2D disc will be included). Check below for a list of technical specifications and supplements.
Technical & Video Specs
Blu-ray BD50 @ 1080p/MPEG4-AVC 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio (Beginning of feature plays in 1.33:1)
English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Surround
English Dolby Digital 2.0
- The Magic of “Oz The Great and Powerful” (Second Screen Experience) – An immersive Second Screen experience that details all things Oz. From an interactive map full of secrets and surprises, to an inside look at the spectacular world of Oz. All fans need to do is download the special “The Magic of Oz The Great and Powerful: Second Screen” App (which is free and currently available for immediate download at the iTunes Store for iPads) which provides fans with infinite opportunities to remain connected to their favorite film, its cast of characters and to dive deeper into the magical world of Oz. This App provides exclusive access to invigorating and exclusive content including:
- The Enchanting Characters and Creatures of Oz – From Munchkins and Tinkers to good witches, bad witches, and flying baboons, this piece follows each character and creature of the Land of Oz from inspiration to final outcome.
- The Sounds of Magical Oz – What adds fragility to the sounds of China Girl’s footsteps; ferocity to the tornado; or weight to the flutter of Finley’s flapping wings?
- Sleight of Hand: Zach Braff Puppet Theater – Actor, and voice of Finley, Zach Braff introduces viewers to the Finley mockup.
- Mariah Carey Music Video
- My Journey in Oz by James Franco – A personal story produced and directed by James Franco.
- Mr. Elfman’s Musical Concoctions – An interview with composer Danny Elfman unveils his inspiration in scoring “Oz The Great And Powerful.”
- China Girl and the Suspension of Disbelief – This feature uncloaks the several forms of movie magic employed to bring China Girl to life, from the initial artwork and character design, to the on-set puppeteering during filmmaking, and finally, through each stage of the visual-effects process; and includes an interview with Joey King, the voice of China Girl.
- Before Your Very Eyes: From Kansas to Oz – Production designer Robert Stromberg takes viewers through the set design of the Land of Oz, from sketching his original ideas on a napkin, through to the final set pieces and the accompanying visual effects.
- Mila’s Metamorphosis – Lead makeup artist Howard Berger expands on one of the oldest, most tried-and-true forms of movie magic: makeup design and effects.
- Walt Disney and the Road to Oz – It is well known that Walt Disney had a fascination with the Land of Oz since he was a child. See how that fascination grew into inspiration as he began planning for his own adaptation of the stories in the classic Baum books.