Basil

The Helpful Fox
Premium Supporter
Oct 13, 2013
UK portsmouth
oh yeah baby :D just hope we get over here in the uk

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-trek-4k-ultra-paramount-1201745344/

star-trek-into-darkness.jpg

Paramount Home Media Distribution has joined the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc movement, selecting “Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness” as its first two titles released in the format.

The discs feature four times the resolution of HD and more than double the number of colors available with full HD. The High Dynamic Range technology is touted as revealing hidden details and shades of color that more closely mimic real life.

The two “Star Trek” titles also feature Dolby Atmos soundtracks remixed specifically for the home theater environment. The titles will be released on June 14 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the first broadcast of the original “Star Trek” TV series, which aired on NBC on Sept. 8, 1966.

Each film will be presented in a three-disc UHD/Blu-ray/Digital HD combo pack. The suggested retail price on each combo pack is $47.99. “Star Trek” will include a bonus Blu-ray disc with over three hours of behind-the-scenes content while the “Star Trek Into Darkness” pack includes the Imax version of the film and more than two hours of special features.

The “Star Trek” package will include commentary by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof and Roberto Orci.

Paramount rebooted the franchise with 2009’s “Star Trek,” which grossed $385 million worldwide, followed by 2013’s “Star Trek Into Darkness” with $467 million globally.

The third film in the rebooted franchise, “Star Trek Beyond,” launches on July 22.

basil :thumbs:

No interest. They are not native 4k films to begin with and they are simply upscales. Will only purchase films that will truly benefit like 70mm or 35mm. You would think that these digital pictures would be shot on 4k or 8k but no a lot of them are 2k....... I think Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan is slated for a 4k release later in the year. Now that I will buy

Watched the opening sequence Red Planet) of Star Trek: Into Darkness and you could hear the enamel hit the floor.
Absolutely gorgeous, Spock in that volcano was unbelievable. Looking forward to watching all 3 movies in full once my 135” screen turns up.

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
Watched the opening sequence Red Planet) of Star Trek: Into Darkness and you could hear the enamel hit the floor.
Absolutely gorgeous, Spock in that volcano was unbelievable. Looking forward to watching all 3 movies in full once my 135” screen turns up.
See, you are one of those that truly understands the benefit of 4K when watching truly large screens. As someone who only has a 55” LG Cinema 3D, at the LG’s size the only thing 4K offers is better blacks and shadow definition. And even then you’re relying on the better 4K Blu Ray releases to highlight this. You need to go truly large to appreciate the difference between 1080 and 4K. I’m sure you will agree 4K at 135” is vastly superior to 1080. For screens 65” and bigger 4K seems a no brainer, but for anything smaller only a gifted salesperson will convince buyers 4K makes a difference.

The onset of superior hardware (eg: OLED) are the things that truly make a difference to picture quality. And while 3D adopters like myself continue to lobby manufacturers to continue to give us that option in new hardware, we are sadly relegated to hoping our current gear doesn’t throw its toys out of the cot.

Enjoy the big screen experience. Sounds like it will be fun times ahead for you guys.

• Thanks
Reactions: Blu-devil