FFO, Germany
Release date: January 18th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £19.99

HDN Exclusive article here

01.jpg

02.jpg03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@virkia you may be correct about the peelable film on the clear slip i thought this was a flaw mine has this front and back at the bottom of the slip and it looks peelable
Sorry not the best quality photo but highlighted the flaw anyone else have this on their slip?
View attachment 213815
Many thanks for the pics - it looks pretty clear to me from the slight peeling/bubbling on both the front and back bottom edge that there is indeed a protective film on this slipcover and that is what is giving it a "cloudy" appearance.
Once the shrinkwrap is removed and the film is peeled from the slipcover it will be a crystal clear slipcover and exactly what was expected before it arrived.
Happy to see that the whole package is under shrinkwrap and not just the steelbook :thumbs::happy:

Wouldn't mind a steel for "The Man Who Fell to Earth" tb :)

Last edited:
Many thanks for the pics - it looks pretty clear to me from the slight peeling/bubbling on both the front and back bottom edge that there is indeed a protective film on this slipcover and that is what is giving it a "cloudy" appearance.
Once the shrinkwrap is removed and the film is peeled from the slipcover it will be a crystal clear slipcover and exactly what was expected before it arrived.
Happy to see that the whole package is under shrinkwrap and not just the steelbook :thumbs::happy:

Wouldn't mind a steel for "The Man Who Fell to Earth" tb :)
Yes a "The Man Who Fell to Earth" steelbook would be most welcome :thumbs:

Really quick reply just received from Scanavo which should put this matter to bed:-

"Dear Nicholas,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Yes, there is a protective film on the transparent covers. The covers are exactly the same as in the US.

In regards to the print of the Steelbook itself - it is an exact re-print of the same artwork as in the US. Naturally there can be small colour/shade differences.

Have a nice day.
Best regards
-----------------"

Ahhh so there is a peelable film on the slip cover. Intresting - so that sorts out the cloudy situation but I do have a feeling this is slightly darker steel to the USA version.

I think scanavo saying "naturally there can be small colour/shade diffrences" means that there definatley is with this one.
Surely if it's the exact re print it would be the same
Guess they messed up a little but won't fully admit it

Anyway thanks to @virkia and @Travis Bickle for clearing this up.

Would still like to see photos of both side by side without the slips on just to ease my OCD mind.

@paulboland cough cough hint hint lol

Reactions: Travis Bickle
Really quick reply just received from Scanavo which should put this matter to bed:-

"Dear Nicholas,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Yes, there is a protective film on the transparent covers. The covers are exactly the same as in the US.

In regards to the print of the Steelbook itself - it is an exact re-print of the same artwork as in the US. Naturally there can be small colour/shade differences.

Have a nice day.
Best regards
-----------------"

@virkia that's a great shout, there was a thin protective film all around the slipcover which I'd never have spotted because it wasn't peeling anywhere and I've never heard of such a thing. But yeah, clear as a bell now. :thumbs:

Ahhh so there is a peelable film on the slip cover. Intresting - so that sorts out the cloudy situation but I do have a feeling this is slightly darker steel to the USA version.

I think scanavo saying "naturally there can be small colour/shade diffrences" means that there definatley is with this one.
Surely if it's the exact re print it would be the same
Guess they messed up a little but won't fully admit it

@Flloydo Some 3-4 years ago there was an interview with one of Scanavo's senior managers which was the subject of a thread in these forums. It should be possible to locate that thread using this site's search option.

I recall that it was stated in that interview that Steelbook releases in the Americas used product from their Ohio (USA) factory, whilst Steelbook releases in Europe, Asia and Oceania used product from their Copenhagen (Denmark) factory.

Two different print runs from two different factories for this particular Steelbook would explain the colour differences you and others have referred to.

• Informative
Reactions: Flloydo
@Flloydo Some 3-4 years ago there was an interview with one of Scanavo's senior managers which was the subject of a thread in these forums. It should be possible to locate that thread using this site's search option.

I recall that it was stated in that interview that Steelbook releases in the Americas used product from their Ohio (USA) factory, whilst Steelbook releases in Europe, Asia and Oceania used product from their Copenhagen (Denmark) factory.

Two different print runs from two different factories for this particular Steelbook would explain the colour differences you and others have referred to.

Did not know that. Cheers

If there is a colour difference then I'll prob have to get the USA version at some point which is a shame as there will prob be a decent price drop on the uk in the future

but I do have a feeling this is slightly darker steel to the USA version.
Would still like to see photos of both side by side without the slips on

I'd like to agree with Flloydo's sentiment in the first part of his post and second his request to see both editions side-by-side to see just how much darker the artwork on the U.K. edition is when compared to the U.S. edition - I'm particularly concerned about the wall behind part of the title which appears to be so dark on the U.K. edition as to be almost not there . . .
If anybody is in a position to post unsealed pics (even if it's just of the U.K. edition) with or without the slipcover, with and without the peelable film, it would be much appreciated.

Starting to be a bit concerned about the already dark "Labyrinth" in case it is also darker than expected like "RD" (or at least darker than the "same" edition from The States).

Last edited:
Reactions: Flloydo
Ive watched a few unboxing videos of both versions and the actual US steelbook version is definatley brighter. Seems more glossy from the videos too but not sure if that's true.
Anyway the Reds and the actual pictures of the dogs seen so much brighter especially the red on colouring on the back and just better all around.
And you can see all the brick work much clearer.

There seems to be a protective seal around the US slip too.

Reactions: virkia
@moon - many thanks for the lovely quality crystal clear pics.

That wall behind and above the DOGS part of the title is sure hard to make out on this edition when compared to the U.S. edition, though :(

Last edited:
Reactions: moon
THIS IS NOW GBP 15.99 IN THE ZAVVI SPRING SALE.
Not quite at my GBP 14.99 price point although I am sorely tempted ("get there behind me, Satan!") and undecided . . . can picture this priced @GBP 12.99 in the Summer.
Decisions, decisions, decisions . . .

Reactions: Frasr