#020 The Incredibles (Mondo x SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
incredibles-whalen-zavvi-728.png

Release date: January 22 , 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live Saturday December 9, 2017 6 PM GMT)
Price: £24.99
Note: World Exclusive art. Illustrated by Tom Whalen

Announced at Mondo Talk at MondoCon 2017. The first two Mondo x SteelBook Disney SteelBooks will feature artwork by Tom Whalen and Olly Moss.

incred1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At one point I had 7 cases open with them. I really don't care about profit, at the end of the day I expect perfect steelbooks and I'll make sure I get them. Amazon are no different, they had to send me 6 Serenity steels before I got one I consider acceptable. If theres a problem at priniting which seems to be the case with Mondo as I've never received a 100% mint Mondo release, then the retailers need to make sure that what they are receiving is flawless. Technically it is the retailers problem and they should have to suffer profit wise if they aren't giving customers perfect products!

Is this an issue with Scanavo's printing process? It seems like so many of the steelbooks that I receive have scratches in the finish, scratches in the paint, chips, dents, air-bubbles, spine slashes- etc.
Regardless of being able to get a replacement, it seems that there is some issues with the printing process- at least in the quality control level, right?

• Thanks
Reactions: psychoscot
Is this an issue with Scanavo's printing process? It seems like so many of the steelbooks that I receive have scratches in the finish, scratches in the paint, chips, dents, air-bubbles, spine slashes- etc.
Regardless of being able to get a replacement, it seems that there is some issues with the printing process- at least in the quality control level, right?

I think to some extent you are 100% correct mate, I don't think it is every print run, but it does seem that more recently its entire runs of some titles. As I say I've never had a totally mint Mondo title especially the ones from the US, and they are placed into their slips by hand so those doing so know they aren't perfect. Same with Manta "although touchwood I've had mint from them" but they seen plagued with problems that were known when placed into their slips by hand. I remember the problems with the original Zavvi V For Vendetta, you were actually lucky if you got a mint one. So yes I agree I think that whether it be lack of control or just some titles are are handled differently and struggle through the print process, I do see this as a problem that is caused at source rather than later on.

I think to some extent you are 100% correct mate, I don't think it is every print run, but it does seem that more recently its entire runs of some titles. As I say I've never had a totally mint Mondo title especially the ones from the US, and they are placed into their slips by hand so those doing so know they aren't perfect. Same with Manta "although touchwood I've had mint from them" but they seen plagued with problems that were known when placed into their slips by hand. I remember the problems with the original Zavvi V For Vendetta, you were actually lucky if you got a mint one. So yes I agree I think that whether it be lack of control or just some titles are are handled differently and struggle through the print process, I do see this as a problem that is caused at source rather than later on.

You know what I think it is?
I think that the more stages that Steelbooks have to go through- the more room for error that there is. Because- a lot of the Mondo Steelbooks have some other form of finish- like a spot gloss- and I'm willing to bet that it's in the process of the machine moving the steelbook off the general printing line and over to where it can be glossed where a majority of dents and scratches occur. As painful as it is- most of the Matte Finished Steelbooks I have generally come out in fine condition- it's always the spot-glossed, glossed, and embossed steelbooks that I can normally find fault in.

Luckily, most high end retailers like the Blue Collection and KIMCHIDVD for example- are able to take care and work with customers should something happen. My copy of KIMCHIDVD's The Winter Soldier came in all manners of scratches and paint chips- but they were able to supply me with an extra steel without these issues. But most retailers like Zavvi don't seem to have to hands-on process that high end retailers have- and so there's less of a concern or check stage with what they send out.

Reactions: psychoscot
I think that the more stages that Steelbooks have to go through- the more room for error that there is. Because- a lot of the Mondo Steelbooks have some other form of finish- like a spot gloss- and I'm willing to bet that it's in the process of the machine moving the steelbook off the general printing line and over to where it can be glossed where a majority of dents and scratches occur. As painful as it is- most of the Matte Finished Steelbooks I have generally come out in fine condition- it's always the spot-glossed, glossed, and embossed steelbooks that I can normally find fault in.

Luckily, most high end retailers like the Blue Collection and KIMCHIDVD for example- are able to take care and work with customers should something happen. My copy of KIMCHIDVD's The Winter Soldier came in all manners of scratches and paint chips- but they were able to supply me with an extra steel without these issues. But most retailers like Zavvi don't seem to have to hands-on process that high end retailers have- and so there's less of a concern or check stage with what they send out.

Nail and head mate! 100% agree:thumbs:

Reactions: FN-2187

There's a couple of differences there which you've correctly identified.

Premium retailers want you to come back and pay more for the entire package, so it's good customer service to stand by the product when part of the product has problems.

However, retailers like Zavvi are more concerned with a volume of sales, the odds are there will be something in the future customers would like to purchase and they know that. I had to do a return to Zavvi recently and it was more trouble than I thought it would be, that part could be easier, I think.

There's a couple of differences there which you've correctly identified.

Premium retailers want you to come back and pay more for the entire package, so it's good customer service to stand by the product when part of the product has problems.

However, retailers like Zavvi are more concerned with a volume of sales, the odds are there will be something in the future customers would like to purchase and they know that. I had to do a return to Zavvi recently and it was more trouble than I thought it would be, that part could be easier, I think.

From my experience in dealing with Zavvi’s customer service team- it’s usually easier to speak with them via Twitter. There’s no limit to the file sizes when trying to upload a jpeg, there’s no character restriction, and each message is responded to on a more timely basis.

And yeah- I totally agree. It’s really about premium retailers wanting to inspire that trust that a purchase made with them is a good investment, which is why we can feel comfortable with spending more on their packages. I always cringe when I order something from Zavvi because I’m always concerned about so many factors: what if it arrives damaged? What if it gets lost in the mail? What if it sells out and I can’t get a replacement?

All these variables really force me to consider and reconsider every purchase I try to make. Especially with rare- expensive pieces like this Incredibles Steelbook- since Zavvi is sold out and now I need to scour the Internet for a mint copy that’s not absurdly priced.... it’s jusy... so much unnecessary effort.

From my experience in dealing with Zavvi’s customer service team- it’s usually easier to speak with them via Twitter. There’s no limit to the file sizes when trying to upload a jpeg, there’s no character restriction, and each message is responded to on a more timely basis.

And yeah- I totally agree. It’s really about premium retailers wanting to inspire that trust that a purchase made with them is a good investment, which is why we can feel comfortable with spending more on their packages. I always cringe when I order something from Zavvi because I’m always concerned about so many factors: what if it arrives damaged? What if it gets lost in the mail? What if it sells out and I can’t get a replacement?

All these variables really force me to consider and reconsider every purchase I try to make. Especially with rare- expensive pieces like this Incredibles Steelbook- since Zavvi is sold out and now I need to scour the Internet for a mint copy that’s not absurdly priced.... it’s jusy... so much unnecessary effort.

Yeah, I understand not wanting to sit on extra stock - I thing I like about Zavvi is that they have done steelbooks that simply no one else is going to do. But that comes at a price, since they are likely sitting on stock for a while with those and then have to reduce price to move them.

So then you weigh the option of something that might sell out (like a Mondo title), and I can understand the pressure to get them all moved and sold, since it basically pays for those other ones you took on.

I get you though - it's tough when you were in from the beginning, knew about a release from perhaps the beginning or very early on, and then have to spend extra to get a copy that you thought you secured in the first place.

When it comes to the secondary market, I end up setting my ceiling price and then not budging but that means you have to spend potentially a lot of your own time to find a copy. :(

• Thanks
  • Thanks
Reactions: apsmith21
Brilliant!
Finally able to snag a copy!!

And a sincerest thank you to you both.
I do genuinely appreciate that you both thought to help me out when you saw that it was back in stock.
With pleasure man :) I know the feeling when you miss it and you have to go on Ebay and pay double price or more

• Thanks
Am I able to get a second opinion on my issue.

I originally pre-ordered this and it arrived damaged so I sent it back and they sent out a replacement on 31st January. It’s been over two weeks now and I still haven’t had my replacement. An order from Zavvi has never taken this long. It’s always arrived within 3-5 days.

They’ve got back to me today and said they can’t offer me a replacement because it’s sold out yet again. So I’ve completely missed out on this. I’m really upset.

I gave them warning that it hadn’t arrived and they kept telling me to wait and ask neighbours.

Granted I’ve got a refund off them but I’ve missed out on a steelbook I really would have liked to have owned. I’m so angry.

Am I able to get a second opinion on my issue.

I originally pre-ordered this and it arrived damaged so I sent it back and they sent out a replacement on 31st January. It’s been over two weeks now and I still haven’t had my replacement. An order from Zavvi has never taken this long. It’s always arrived within 3-5 days.

They’ve got back to me today and said they can’t offer me a replacement because it’s sold out yet again. So I’ve completely missed out on this. I’m really upset.

I gave them warning that it hadn’t arrived and they kept telling me to wait and ask neighbours.

Granted I’ve got a refund off them but I’ve missed out on a steelbook I really would have liked to have owned. I’m so angry.

You will learn from this classic mistake with Zavvi! I had this pain years ago with exactly the same situation as you, received a damaged copy and returned it back. By the time they processed the return it was sold out. Whenever you return a damaged item to Zavvi always ask for a refund and then buy it again straight away in case it gets sold out. The replacement / refund process is awfully slow with Zavvi, pretty awful if you ask me. There have been a number of occasions where Zavvi don't refund you, simply it just gets forgotten about and you got to keep chasing them. Lesson learned, always ask for a refund and order a replacement copy.