Status
Not open for further replies.

dan8885

Premium Supporter
Feb 23, 2014
CGN|GER

OST 2016.png

Hello ninjas,

Some great OST Vinyl were released in 2016. With the already 6th Annual Steelbook Awards happening over here at HDN we wanted to do the same and start a annual one for our beloved Movie Soundtracks on wax.

After the nomination period ends on January 15, 2017, we will add a Poll to this thread to vote for the best OST Vinyl Release of 2016.

Any OST Vinyl that were completely released, shipped and in the hand of customers by December 31, 2016 are eligible.

Please nominate your 3 favorite picks and respond with your selections.

Feel free to use pictures, to share with fellow ninjas why you've made that choice.

Voting closes January 31, 2017

Have fun everyone & thanks for being part of the hidefninja.com community!

vinyl of the year - white and gold Kopie.png

To give y'all an idea of what awesomeness released till now in 2016 I made a short list:
(note that these are NOT ALL releases of 2016, just some I picked out of the bunch):

January:
Home Alone - OST by John Williams (Cheese Pizza colored Vinyl) by Mondo
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan OST by James Horner (Mutara Nebula colored Vinyl) by Mondo
The Hateful Eight OST by Ennio Morricone (2LP & Limited Edition 7" Boxset) by Third Man Records
Star Wars - Vinyl Collection - 11LP Boxset by Sony

March:
Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice - 3LP Deluxe Set by Water Tower Music
Back to the Future - Trilogy OST (Box Set + Individual Releases) by Mondo

April:
Taxi Driver - 40th Anniversary OST (Limited Edition Tri-Color + Yellow Vinyl) by Waxwork Records

May:
The Warriors - OST (colored Vinyl) by Waxwork Records
The Nice Guys - OST (Pink Swirl colored) by iam8bit
From Dusk Till Dawn OST (Limited Edition Blood Splatter Clear Vinyl) by Brookvale Records

June:
Ex_Machina - OST (waterfall clear variant - HMV exclusive) by Invada
The Neon Demon - OST by Cliff Martinez (neon pink colored Vinyl) by Gaumont
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Hologram Vinyl) by Disney Music Emporium
The Ninth Gate OST by Wojciech Kilar (Flame colored & regular black) by Silva Screen Records
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope OST (Limited Edition Gold Vinyl) by Sony

July:
The Neon Demon - OST by Cliff Martinez (green & blue colored Vinyl) by Milan Records
The Matrix - OST by Don Davis (green colored Vinyl) by Newbury Comics

August:
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi OST (Limited Edition Gold Vinyl) by Sony
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back OST (Limited Edition Gold Vinyl) by Sony
Twin Peaks - OST by Angelo Badalamenti (colored Vinyl) by Mondo
Léon: The Professional - OST by Eric Serra (colored Vinyl) by Waxwork Records

September:
Game Of Thrones - Season 6 - OST by Ramin Djawadi (colored Vinyl) by WaterTower Music
Drive - OST by Cliff Martinez (5th Anniversary Re-release) by Invada

October:
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - OST by Ryuichi Sakamoto by Milan Records
Stranger Things - OST by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein (colored Vinyl) by Lakeshore Records / Invada
Band of Brothers - OST by Michael Kamen (colored vinyl) by Music On Vinyl

November:
Lost Highway - OST (colored vinyl) by Music on Vinyl
The Fountain - OST by Clint Mansell (MondoCon & Webstore exclusive) by Mondo

Trainspotting - OST (colored Vinyl) by Warner
Luke Cage - OST by Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad (colored vinyl) by Mondo
Jessica Jones - OST by Sean Callery (colored vinyl) by Mondo
Daredevil - OST by John Paesano (colored vinyl) by Mondo
Fight Club - OST by The Dust Brothers (colored vinyl) by Mondo
Gremlins - OST by Jerry Goldsmith (colored vinyl) by Mondo

Last edited:
Thanks for the list @dan8885! I'd forgotten just how many great records there's been this year... it's going to be hard to pick my top 3. :ohno:

I'll probably wait until the end of the year to vote... that gives me plenty of time to decide. :)

Get your votes in folks! @Flloydo @Sigill @tridon @Travis Bickle @spass @martinouchou :thumbs:

Yeah, I also thought some of these where 2015. Like Home Alone by Mondo, Back to the Future by Mondo or Hateful Eight by Third Man Records.
Some really strong contenders are among the list. Hard to choose.

I'll probably vote in the next days and edit if needed :oohyeah::rolleyes::p

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Yeah, I also thought some of these where 2015. Like Home Alone by Mondo, Back to the Future by Mondo or Hateful Eight by Third Man Records.
Some really strong contenders are among the list. Hard to choose.

I'll probably vote in the next days and edit if needed :oohyeah::rolleyes::p
There's a lot I haven't seen in hand (mostly Mondo releases - Home Alone and BTTF being two of them), so they won't get my vote unfortunately. Hateful Eight and Waxwork's will definitely be up there though! :D

Good idea... think I might do the same then, because knowing me I'll probably forget if I leave it too long. :wacky:

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
There's a lot I haven't seen in hand (mostly Mondo releases - Home Alone and BTTF being two of them), so they won't get my vote unfortunately. Hateful Eight and Waxwork's will definitely be up there though! :D

Good idea... think I might do the same then, because knowing me I'll probably forget if I leave it too long. :wacky:

I'll tag you if it's necessary don't worry :p

I also really like all three SW OSTs. I don't think they will made my vote but they're really perfect done since they kept them like the first original releases.
And the Force Awakens OST with the Holographic thing going on could also be a strong contender!

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I'll tag you if it's necessary don't worry :p

I also really like all three SW OSTs. I don't think they will made my vote but they're really perfect done since they kept them like the first original releases.
And the Force Awakens OST with the Holographic thing going on could also be a strong contender!
Aha thanks. :thumbs:

Yep, all the Star Wars releases this year have been pretty great... they probably won't make my top 3 either though unfortunately. I think we both know what our #1 will be though. ;)

Reactions: dan8885
Reactions: Noodles and dan8885
Thanks for the tag @Flloydo !
Boy, this is seriously NOT my field of expertise! (Most of my OSTs are Cds, and I get vinyl OSTs only when they are artistically demanding that I do!).

For some reason I thought you got a few this year like twin peaks and the green matrix vinyl

Well you never know, still a few months. You might make a purchase

Reactions: C.C. 95 and dan8885
Here's my three nominations. Maybe I'll edit later, but for now these would be my choices:

1. The Hateful Eight - OST (black vinyl) by Third Man Records
Reason: A beautiful Triple Gatefold sleeve, with soft touch cover and spot gloss blood splatter all over it, beautiful artwork choices (better than any of the movie releases), booklet and two insane big posters.
Plus theres movie quotes etched written around the label. It's easily one of my favorite records out of my whole collection.
(Pictures: https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...7-boxset-thirdman-records.73386/#post-1617954)

2. Taxi Driver - OST (tri-color vinyl) by Waxwork Records
Reason: Art by Vance Kelly on this release is outstanding and perfect fit for the movie, first time the score on vinyl and I must say it's one of my Top 3 favorite movies ever, director approved and liner notes by Martin Scorsese, Waxwork did an outstanding job here and when there was no Hateful Eight it would be my #1 choice

3. Home Alone - OST (cheese pizza colored vinyl) by Mondo
Reason: I must confess I'm a big sucker for Christmas- it's my favorite time of the year, the OST & movie IS Christmas to me, Mondo did an outstanding job with the die-cut gatefold jacket with the printed inner sleeves that emulate the "lights on" / "lights off" view of the McCallister house, the "cheese pizza" colored vinyl is a fun idea, I adore this release, it's a great third spot and I can't wait for December 1st when I start to spin it DAILY

Honorable mention: All the Star Wars releases (4-6 and Force Awakens with the holographic thingy) are top notch great releases, Twin Peaks could easily also my Number 3 and if I would own the From Dusk Tilll Dawn OST from Brookvale Records I don't know if it would've beaten Home Alone.

To sum up, it was a really great year for vinyl and especially for special edition OSTs. All companies did an outstanding job with all these beautiful and great sounding releases.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and dan8885
Well , right now my nominations are:

1. The Matrix (Newbury comics)
2. The Matrix (Amazon)

Because that's all i have :rofl:

I'm planning to pick up BvS trifold soon. And i have Drive pre-ordered so most likely those two will make the list later :D

Every nominee counts bud :thumbs: Thank you!

Reactions: AlienKing
Status
Not open for further replies.