2.1...5.1...7.1...9.1?????

Oct 9, 2011
US
2.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1..... Which do you prefer or have??? What do you use your system mainly for Music or HT? Speaker preference? Dream system??? Post pics of what you have. :D:D

In the future with a dedicated HT definitely going to go with 7.2 just to future proof a little bit. But casual living room/bedroom/etc. setups I still think 5.1 delivers just fine. Heck, 5.1 is still great all around if you set it up correctly.

I would like to be able to hear in my later years so I tend not to go too crazy with sound, it definitely has an affect on your hearing if you listen to things pumped up all the time.

I have a 7.1 surround setup consisting of Difinitive Technology for all my speakers except for my sub which is SVS. One movie in particular inspired me to go 7.1 and that was Dark City as it was the first Blu-ray to incorporate DTS-HD MA 7.1 that hit the market. It was :drool: Now it's :movie:

Reactions: Troll2Fan
I have a 7.1 surround setup consisting of Difinitive Technology for all my speakers except for my sub which is SVS. One movie in particular inspired me to go 7.1 and that was Dark City as it was the first Blu-ray to incorporate DTS-HD MA 7.1 that hit the market. It was :drool: Now it's :movie:

How do you like your DT speakers? I'm planning on going with the Mythos ST towers, Mythos Gem XL for surrounds and Mythos XTR-50 for my center.

By the way, good choice in going with the SVS. I've heard nothing but great things about the quality of SVS subs.

I love them. :D I have the DT Mythos XTR-60's for my front L/R & Center channel speakers and the DT Mythos XTR-20BP's for my side and rear surrounds. Plan on spending a lot of money because they are very expensive. EEK! but well worth it. :drool:

Reactions: Troll2Fan
I have a 7.1 audio set up with Polk Audio RM6750's speakers.

They aren't very big but the sound coming through my Sony receiver is excellent.

My favorite is when I watch a scene when it's raining. It's like I'm right there middle of the storm :thumbs:

I love them. :D I have the DT Mythos XTR-60's for my front L/R & Center channel speakers and the DT Mythos XTR-20BP's for my side and rear surrounds. Plan on spending a lot of money because they are very expensive. EEK! but well worth it. :drool:

Believe me I know. :ohno: I checked and the set up will run me around $5k, and that's if I don't replace one of my subs with an SVS or VTF sub. EEK!

Last edited:
Believe me I know. :ohno: I checked and the set up will run me around $5k, and that's if I don't replace one of my subs with an SVS or HTF sub. EEK!

Here's a couple of pics of my sub. It's a PB12-Plus.
SDC11070.jpg

SDC11071.jpg

All your links go to the HSU.

Lol, that's odd. Not sure how I managed to do that, but there's no point in me posting the SVS links anyway since you're familiar with SVS subs. My bad.

I did have one question. Did it take you long to find the sweet spot and to get it adjusted right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, that's odd. Not sure how I managed to do that, but there's no point in me posting the SVS links anyway since you're familiar with SVS subs. My bad.

I did have one question. Did it take you long to find the sweet spot and to get it adjusted right?

Not really, about an hour maybe moving it around the room and all but then I jumped online and browsed the Net on Subwoofer placement and there's a whole bunch of stuff about it. THIS is the one I ultimately used in the end.

As far as tuning goes, it all depends if you want sub frequencies or ultra subsonic frequencies. Usually you can find a dial on the back of the sub to adjust how many Hz you want your sub to operate at. Sometimes all you have is a gain and that's all. If the later is the case then you can turn to your A/V receiver to adjust how many Hz to operate at. I have a dedicated amp specifically for my sub but I do the adjustments on my receiver.

You have to be careful though, if you have it to close to a window and you crank up the power on it you can blow out your window or at least crack it like I did. I fed it about 450 watts at about 2/3 gain at 40Hz and it cracked my window like there was no tomorrow. Not to mention that it could be heard four houses down at one of my neighbors house. I was testing the limits of the sub at that time. Now I keep it at about 1/4 gain, 200 watts and 65Hz.

You'll just have to experiment with the sub that you get. Every sub is unique and you will have to do a little work to find the optimal listening level and enjoy your sub.

Thanks for the input. I've found that some subs are much easier than others to adjust just right and some also do better in corners, etc. than others might. I love buying new subs, but I hate doing the "subwoofer crawl". It can become tedious if you're really picky.

I know what you mean about it being too close to a window. My 12" Acoustech sits close to a window and it will rattle the crap out of it at times. Thankfully I have some good dual pane windows and they've been able to withstand the punishment. I keep the volume on the sub at half and it's more than enough. I ultimately placed it there due to not wanting to try to hide 15-20' of sub cable. All of my other speaker/sub wire is under the carpet, but I purchased this a year after my carpet was installed. I plan to have everything professionally installed when I upgrade my speakers, sub and flat screen.

Thanks again!
begebu3u.jpg

Now i have 5.0 in next future buy a subwoofer SVS for finally completed my home theatre.
Other 7.1 9.1 are impossible in this litle place.

I was EXACTLY the same. I remember waiting impatiently for it to be released. I remember purchasing my copy in a shop that sold US Blu-rays in the middle of Bangkok in a BTS Station. Wasn't cheap neither..

I went 11.2 because of Dredd and Expendables 2 as mastered in DTS Neo X. Now 1.5 years later feel like a waste cause thats all there was.