HDN Event 2015- Last horror flick you watched? Join the 5th annual HDN Halloween Party!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hello ninjas!
It's that time of year where we get together for our annual hidefninja.com Halloween and horror tradition, and share the latest horror films or tv we've watched. Just jump in to the thread, now until Halloween, and let us know what is making your skin crawl! Recommendations, reviews? Share them!

Throughout the next month or so, and leading right up to Halloween, watch our for new mini contests (like our "see the Candy corn in the thread, win a bit of dough towards movie purchases!" and others.
Have fun all!​

2015 Halloween Party.PNG

Psssstt....pay attention to evil candy corns (pm me as soon as you see it!)
cc1.jpg

Last edited:
I watched Hammer's The Reptile last night. OK. Certainly not top notch work by any means. You really have to be the mood to watch that one. The night before I watched the 1959 Hammer film The Man who could cheat death. Far more entertaining and clearly an influence on the 1972 TV move Kolchak the Night Strangler.
The Kolchak TV movie winning hands down in my book.

If they just released it as a stand alone film and just called it Season Of The Witch I don't think it would have got such damning reviews and the backlash it received upon release. It's not the worst film, just not what the Halloween fans were expecting.

I think the original plan had been to have different stand alone Halloween movies but what that failed at the box office, they went back to William Shatner masks and boiler suits. Having said that it's an enjoyable movie. Can't help wondering what it could have been like had they followed Nigel Kneale's. original script.

I watched Hammer's The Reptile last night. OK. Certainly not top notch work by any means. You really have to be the mood to watch that one. The night before I watched the 1959 Hammer film The Man who could cheat death. Far more entertaining and clearly an influence on the 1972 TV move Kolchak the Night Strangler.
The Kolchak TV movie winning hands down in my book.

I think the original plan had been to have different stand alone Halloween movies but what that failed at the box office, they went back to William Shatner masks and boiler suits. Having said that it's an enjoyable movie. Can't help wondering what it could have been like had they followed Nigel Kneale's. original script.
Hey, love that you are back in here R! Always enjoy seeing the flicks you post!

You know me. .. Glad to join a good conversation about films. The last two lines are in relation to the Halloween films. For some reason my post didn't quote 3 lines.

One film that I'd like to mention is IT FOLLOWS. I blind bought this one (which I do with a lot of horror movies... I'm a total junkie) and really enjoyed it. Not so much scary as it is downright creepy. I liked it though. It's about this girl who sleeps with this guy and finds out - from him - that he's passed on this curse to her (sexually) in which something will follow her and try to kill her. It will be disguised as a person, but isn't a person. Only she will be able to see it and she can only avoid it by passing it on to another person. It sounds kind of cheesy, but I was surprised how much I ended up liking it. In my opinion, it's a fresh take on a genre in which "fresh" is not a word you can generally use to describe ANYTHING. It doesn't overuse the "jump scare" tactic like most horror movies do nowadays. I definitely recommend checking it out.

Hey Matthew. Haven't seen you around in a while :)

I too loved It follows. Like you I wasn't expecting much from it on my first watch. But after I saw it, I immediately went out and bought it.

As a (primarily horror) collector it's become a must have for my collection. For me, since around The Conjouring, there's been some quality little horrors come through. During a time where the horror market was getting polluted with 'found footage' and 'shaky cam' titles, there has been a resurgence of late with some solid, original horrors with the likes of Mama, the Insidious series, It Follows and The Babadook.

Long may it continue.

Reactions: rj531
@digitalbabe Wonderful thread DB! :thumbs:

@Paperinukke I've been wanting to watch 'Julie's Eyes', my brother told me it's GREAT! :) Last night I watched 'It Follows' (again!) :emb: I fu**ing love that film! :drool: And tonight I'm gonna get the Ninja scared out of me with 'The Conjuring' :ohno: :D
Yeah that movie is brilliant, you should watch it! ;) I really enjoy those Spanish horror movies Del Toro is producing, doing great job. And thanks for reminding, I need to watch It Follows again soon enough too. :cigar:

• Helpful Post
Reactions: bloodsnake007
Hey Matthew. Haven't seen you around in a while :)

I too loved It follows. Like you I wasn't expecting much from it on my first watch. But after I saw it, I immediately went out and bought it.

As a (primarily horror) collector it's become a must have for my collection. For me, since around The Conjouring, there's been some quality little horrors come through. During a time where the horror market was getting polluted with 'found footage' and 'shaky cam' titles, there has been a resurgence of late with some solid, original horrors with the likes of Mama, the Insidious series, It Follows and The Babadook.

Long may it continue.
Hey Pearse,

Yeah, until the last couple of weeks, I've been SUPER busy with trying to get another online business up and running. Since I work from home, I'm also a stay-at-home dad now. It's really been about 6 months since I've been active enough to mention around here. It's GREAT to be back though!

I agree with you 100%. Since the likes of The Conjuring, there really hasn't been much to "write home about" in the way of horror flicks. IT FOLLOWS, MAMA & THE BABADOOK are definitely good ones to mention though! Another one that is worth a watch is THE LAZARUS EFFECT. I had higher hopes for it than what I actually got out of it, but it's certainly worth a watch in my opinion. I really like the premise of a BEFORE I WAKE and I'm hoping it delivers. Minus Thomas Jane's haircut, I think it has some true potential and I'm looking forward to reviewing it for HDN.

You mentioned the "found footage" films (As I mentioned before, I call them "handycam" movies). I hate admitting it, but they're a guilty pleasure of mine. Most of them these days are just downright terrible, but I still find myself getting at least a small amount of enjoyment out of them. I watch all of them too.

Another newer genre of horror film that I find myself liking - which can probably be lumped in with "found footage" films - is the cyber horror movies like UNFRIENDED. I really enjoyed that one, but I'm thinking it's just because its approach is semi-fresh. Not sure my liking for that type of horror movie will be as long-lived as it has been for "handycam" films.

Love this thread as can get some great ideas for films to watch currently watching the scream series will be on episode 8 tonight so near the end
Afterwards im Undecided to start on horror films every night for October or start watching The Strain looks like there are 3 seasons so may take October to catch up is it any good? ?

Reactions: digitalbabe
You mentioned the "found footage" films (As I mentioned before, I call them "handycam" movies). I hate admitting it, but they're a guilty pleasure of mine. Most of them these days are just downright terrible, but I still find myself getting at least a small amount of enjoyment out of them. I watch all of them too.

Another newer genre of horror film that I find myself liking - which can probably be lumped in with "found footage" films - is the cyber horror movies like UNFRIENDED. I really enjoyed that one, but I'm thinking it's just because its approach is semi-fresh. Not sure my liking for that type of horror movie will be as long-lived as it has been for "handycam" films.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like a lot of those type of horrors. But it just became an easy way for every Joe Soap to pick up a camera without any effort or budget! And it started to get boring. There are some very good and inventive ones (The Bay, the [REC] and Paranormal Activity series and V/H/S 1 & 2 are some of my favourites) But there are also some terrible ones (Alien Abduction, Extraterrestrial etc....)

I saw Unfriended a couple of weeks ago, and yes, I really enjoyed it too. It's not easy to keep you watching someone using Skype and online chat on their laptop for 90 mins! But it worked. for me anyway. And it was a decent original concept.

I saw Adam Greens Digging For The Marrow a few months back. There are a lot of people divided on this going by reviews. I liked it. Might be worth a watch as it has a kind of 'kids on an adventure looking for something scary' kind of feel to it. And there were some creepy parts in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rj531
Love this thread as can get some great ideas for films to watch currently watching the scream series will be on episode 8 tonight so near the end
Afterwards im Undecided to start on horror films every night for October or start watching The Strain looks like there are 3 seasons so may take October to catch up is it any good? ?
There are only 2 seasons to The Strain so far. A third has been commissioned for next year though.

Not sure what to make of this one. I started watching with high hopes. After a few episodes it started to dwindle for me. I kept watching as I wanted to see how it would finish out and it picked up again in the last 3 or 4 episodes. It's kinda paced like The Walking Dead where, just as it starts to become a bit boring, something would happen to make you tune in to the next part to see what happens!

I haven't brought myself to watch the second series yet though.....

Reactions: digitalbabe
Just watched The Human Centipede 3, Final Sequence

It was as weird as ever :D One annoying thing about this was that "Bill Boss" was yelling all the time and it was really hard to understand him :sour: but i think i got the message :p :D

Reactions: MGD
October is here! That means my movie marathon starts and will continue till October 31st.

pumpkin-gif-jack-olantern-trick-r-treat-halloween.gif

I have Christine coming from Amazon today and then, I feel the need to re-watch Candyman with Tony Todd this weekend! :vamp:

@digitalbabe Thanks again for putting another great event together! :thumbs:

We're happy to do it guys! Have fun with the start of your marathon-I hope to start watching some creepy flicks soon, too!

I always have a #31nightsofhorror every October. Kicked off the month with my yearly marathon of the Alien Quadrilogy! (Wink wink @digitalbabe ) then followed up with Beetlejuice, Cabin In The Woods & Daybreakers!

Keep the horror alive!

#horrorjunkiesUNITE

Reactions: digitalbabe and MGD
October is here! That means my movie marathon starts and will continue till October 31st.

pumpkin-gif-jack-olantern-trick-r-treat-halloween.gif

I have Christine coming from Amazon today and then, I feel the need to re-watch Candyman with Tony Todd this weekend! :vamp:

@digitalbabe Thanks again for putting another great event together! :thumbs:
I started my marathon after the HDN Halloween Fest started, good to hear that others are doing something like that too. ;)

I watched The Others yesterday, a brilliant horror film from 2001 that felt like it was done in the 70s. Today I'm watching Predator, yeah that's a big one. I will enjoy it a lot, no doubt about that. :)

We've got a couple of friends coming over so we're gonna do an all day horror movie marathon.... at the moment we've got lined up -

* Evil Dead (remake)
* Texas Chainsaw (remake)
* Trick R Treat
* Scream
* The Burning
* Hatchet

Gone with a couple of remakes as we are all fans of the originals, but my friend who is coming has not seen either of the remakes :D

Reactions: Asopp and rj531
Status
Not open for further replies.