Horror Chat 2017 Last Horror watched-Annual HDN October Watch party! [Concluded-see you in 2018!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
watch party anim.gif

Hello horrific ninjas!

It's that time of year again where we get together and share recommendations, and the last horror film you watched in honor of the spookiest holiday of the year! Jump into this thread all throughout October and join the fun by sharing the flicks you're enjoying and win prizes along the way. Tag your favorite horror fans on the forum and let them know it's time to get creepy and gory at HDN!

Be sure to subscribe to the thread (Click "Watch Thread" the the top right of the thread, so that you know what fellow ninjas are watching, and enter to win prizes when you see me post a pic of candy corns.

Also, keep your eyes peeled on the front page of HDN and in the forum for additional giveaways, special announcement, during our third annual HDN HALLOWEEN FEST!

halloweenfest-facebook.png

Pre-order HDN Black Label # 3 Suspiria exclusively at http://shop.hidefninja.com
suspiria-728-ordernow.gif

horrorsideshow-728.jpg

Exclusive HDN Nosferatu pin live now!
nosferatu pinb&w.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder if Sir @Wreck and @apsmith21 are checking out any horror or thrillers this year? I hope to finally see 'It' or 'Mother' or both over next week. I know Mother got slammed by critics, but I don't pay much mind to that to begin with. I love Rosemary's Baby and Aranofsky, so I still look forward to checking it out. #HDNhorror

Dying to see mother

Reactions: digitalbabe
Watched ouija and ouija origin of evil last night!

I didn't care for the original Ouija, but Origin of Evil is on my watch-list for this month. That one looks a lot more interesting.

Haha had a big chat with tridon about it comes at night. I was really up for it, loved the trailer and atmosphere it was giving off and a right bit of me. I did enjoy the film, acting, direction, score etc but I was expecting a creature and a bit more

I went into more detail in the movie thread but my take is

"It" is fear and paranoia coming at night. Along with the nightmares etc. Obviously the sickness was there but I think the post apocalyptic setting causes more psychological scares to the characters. I also think the family were in cahoots with the other guys they meet and it was them that killed the dog but their plan f*cked up and didn't realise edgerton is one serious f*cker and underestimated him. Or/ and the lad was sick earlier than we realise and it was him also doing weird sh*t but that don't explain what the dog chased. Dog must of heard the other blokes.

Oh, the can of worms has been reopened. :LOL:

I hope to finally see 'It' or 'Mother' or both over next week. I know Mother got slammed by critics, but I don't pay much mind to that to begin with. I love Rosemary's Baby and Aranofsky, so I still look forward to checking it out. #HDNhorror

I forgot how, but the ending of mother! was spoiled for me -- and I'm kinda glad it was. It sounds like something I have zero interest in seeing in a film. I hope you enjoy it if you watch it, though! IT was fantastic! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Need to get some ideas for this month.
(I'll keep an eye on what @tridon watches :whistle::D)

Going to try and watch new ones instead of a mix. I usually always watch alien and the thing at Halloween anyway but I watched them not long ago.

Actually last month I watched covenant, it comes at night, Texas chainsaw massacre (original), it follows, annabelle creation (which actually freaked me out for some odd reason), IT and death note (at the end of August) so I started a month early!

(A lot of "it" films :wacky:)

That's a great list of films, man! You're right -- lots of "it" films! Strange how that worked out. :hilarious:

I'll try to not disappoint you with my list. I currently have 31 films (that included Don't Knock Twice) in my queue for this month, but it's also a very busy month, so I'm not sure I'll be able to watch all of them.

Here's the list...

- Monster House (my go-to every single Halloween... an absolute favourite)
- Don't Knock Twice (already watched)
- A Dark Song (watched last night... thoughts coming shortly)
- Crimson Peak
- Cub
- The Editor
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
- Dracula (1931)
- Frankenstein (1931)
- The Mummy (1932)
- Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
- The Wolf Man (1941)
- Creature From the Black Lagoon (gonna watch in 3D)
- We Are Still Here
- The Purge: Election Year
- Ouija: Origin of Evil
- Cherry Falls
- The Gate
- An American Werewolf in London
- Shut In
- The Town That Dreaded Sundown
- Jeepers Creepers
- Jeepers Creepers 2
- Jeepers Creepers 3 (I used to love these films, but they kinda gross me out now considering the director's past)
- Siren
- Evil Dead (unrated cut)
- The Houses October Built
- The Houses October Built 2
- Rise: Blood Hunter
- Cult of Chucky
- The Haunting (1999) (one of my wife's favourites)

We'll see what I can watch. It's inventory time at my work this month and Stranger Things Season 2 will take priority over everything else at the end of the month. Plus I plan to play Until Dawn for Halloween. Plus I'm organizing HalloweenFest 3. Plus I'm shooting four podcasts this month. Plus my wife would like to talk to me... at least a little bit. :hilarious:

I watched A Dark Song last night and it was surprisingly good for such a low-budget horror film. It's a slow burn, but the payoff is big! It's a rather haunting look at an occult ritual in process and the pain that a woman must go through in order to talk to her son again. The score is freakin' terrific, too!

That's a great list of films, man! You're right -- lots of "it" films! Strange how that worked out. :hilarious:

I'll try to not disappoint you with my list. I currently have 31 films (that included Don't Knock Twice) in my queue for this month, but it's also a very busy month, so I'm not sure I'll be able to watch all of them.

Here's the list...

- Monster House (my go-to every single Halloween... an absolute favourite)
- Don't Knock Twice (already watched)
- A Dark Song (watched last night... thoughts coming shortly)
- Crimson Peak
- Cub
- The Editor
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
- Dracula (1931)
- Frankenstein (1931)
- The Mummy (1932)
- Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
- The Wolf Man (1941)
- Creature From the Black Lagoon (gonna watch in 3D)
- We Are Still Here
- The Purge: Election Year
- Ouija: Origin of Evil
- Cherry Falls
- The Gate
- An American Werewolf in London
- Shut In
- The Town That Dreaded Sundown
- Jeepers Creepers
- Jeepers Creepers 2
- Jeepers Creepers 3 (I used to love these films, but they kinda gross me out now considering the director's past)
- Siren
- Evil Dead (unrated cut)
- The Houses October Built
- The Houses October Built 2
- Rise: Blood Hunter
- Cult of Chucky
- The Haunting (1999) (one of my wife's favourites)

We'll see what I can watch. It's inventory time at my work this month and Stranger Things Season 2 will take priority over everything else at the end of the month. Plus I plan to play Until Dawn for Halloween. Plus I'm organizing HalloweenFest 3. Plus I'm shooting four podcasts this month. Plus my wife would like to talk to me... at least a little bit. :hilarious:

They say "it" comes in 3's!

Nice list. Not seen a few of them. Wow I forgot about cherry falls. That was the first DVD I bought along with final destination and rush hour 2 lol

I'll try and check some of them out.
Have you seen the autopsy of Jane doe? Thought that was decent but only see it once (we might of already spoke about it) so I may do that again and I'm more up for stranger things 2 than the first series

I'm a bit busy this month too and I start a new job on Monday with 2 weeks training so my focus will be on that. And I think I'll be doing some strange shift hours after that but I'll get some weekend viewings in and the odd evening

They say "it" comes in 3's!

Nice list. Not seen a few of them. Wow I forgot about cherry falls. That was the first DVD I bought along with final destination and rush hour 2 lol

I'll try and check some of them out.
Have you seen the autopsy of Jane doe? Thought that was decent but only see it once (we might of already spoke about it) so I may do that again and I'm more up for stranger things 2 than the first series

I'm a bit busy this month too and I start a new job on Monday with 2 weeks training so my focus will be on that. And I think I'll be doing some strange shift hours after that but I'll get some weekend viewings in and the odd evening

Ha, I remember my first DVDs, too! My grandparents bought me X-Men, The Matrix, Gladiator, and Mission: Impossible 2, and on the same day, I bought myself Enemy Mine, Pitch Black, Godzilla (1998), and Wolf. Ah, the good ol' days. :D

I did watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe a couple months back and I really enjoyed it. I was excited to watch it since it's from the director of Trollhunter and I absolutely love that film. It was creepy and unique. I let my aunt borrow it last month (she loves horror and witch-related stories) and I still haven't got it back. She loves it too much and keep watching it over and over again.

Congrats on the new job, man! I hope it all goes well. :thumbs:

I'll kick things off! I watched 'Gerald's Game' on Netflix last night. What a crazy situation she was in. The thought of it was horrifying and I liked how her story was more complex than I first thought. Very suspenseful, and as I had not read the book, an unexpected series of twists.

What horror are you guys watching this year? @rj531 @Sigill @Asopp @elle82 @paulboland & don't forgot to tag fellow ninjas!

@digitalbabe The wife and I watched this on Monday night and it genuinely frightened me like crazy! :dunno: It was more of a psychological horror (for me), it got in my head and stayed there for hours afterward! :banghead: I loved it! :drool: :D

Tonight we'll be watching INSIDIOUS! :naughty: That one always scares the tacos out of me! :ohno: :p
insidius.gif

#5 The VVitch 2015
'The VVitch' seem to create two groups, one who loves it and the other who hates it, almost no middle group.
I'm in the group who loved 'The VVitch'.
Such an authentic recreation on folklore and the lifes completely driven by exaggerated religious behavior and faith.
People expected more action, more appearance by the witch but the witch and the devil were constantly presence. Controlling the minds and behavior of the family and destroying the family little by little. The beginning was some serious tough stuff to watch. Squelching the baby and rub its blood and interiors all over the body. This ritual was made so the witch was able to fly, horrifying, which is another point why the movie was so good. Finally a movie which portrayed a witch in a gruesome and scary way, not only by her appearance but rather for her actions and damage/danger she can cause. People literally had these thoughts of witches back then, not like in todays society and literature where a witch is portrayed far more harmless.
The acting was also remarkable, i felt bad for the children and after all what happened, i understood Thomasin's decision in the end, girl's been through sh.. the whole time. I must add, the movie gets better each time i've watched it, 3x now in total. You'll notice and appreciate stuff you haven't before and start to see the brilliance of the movie. Please more like this, that was a horror folklore. 8.5/10

month long horror-thon! the 1st 4 nights--i watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Cult of Chucky, A Dark Song (all first time watch) & a rewatch of my favorite Hitchcock film, The Birds.

@digitalbabe It is bloody fantastic fun!

@bloodsnake007 you said tacos? it's National Tacos Day! perfect for ya!
@rj531 Everyday is National Tacos Day! :cool: :drool: :notworthy:

This is how I celebrated! :thumbs:
tacos pic!_2.jpg
:D

Watched the visit last night

Had seen it before but couldn't remember much. It's not bad and I remember being surprised it was M. Night. Has some decent moments and I kinda like the way certain things click together but the kids are slightly annoying at times.

I watched A Dark Song last night and it was surprisingly good for such a low-budget horror film. It's a slow burn, but the payoff is big! It's a rather haunting look at an occult ritual in process and the pain that a woman must go through in order to talk to her son again. The score is freakin' terrific, too!

This looks decent. Might give this a go tonight. He's great in sightseers

Countdown continues :cool:

Day 2 - Dont Breath :thumbs: Great movie and as always Jane Levy was awesome :thumbs:

Day 3 - Hellraiser 4 :penguin:

Day 4 - Hellraiser Inferno (5) :penguin:

Day 5 - Started watching Castlevania :vamp::thumbs::vamp: 3 episodes in and it seems to be a pretty good show :thumbs:

tumblr_mcrbpe6AYQ1rf9u8oo1_250.gif

I ended up watching two films tonight. I started with The Haunting (1999). My wife loves this film and I also enjoy it. I feel like it's different enough from the original that it easily stands on its own two feet. It's not overly scary, but enjoyable thanks to the atmosphere and the great cast.

After that I threw on Dracula (1931). I haven't seen it in years. Bela Lugosi is magical as the Count, though Dracula is one of my least-favourite films out of the Universal Monsters from the 1930s to 1950s. Nevertheless, it looks great on Blu-ray and it still blows my mind with what they were able to accomplish in the '30s (the film sets are massive!). Looking forward to Frankenstein next!

I found some guys list on IMDB of his top 60 horror films from 2014-2017 and tbh he seems like my doppelgänger in taste for the majority. A lot of psychological horrors and the films I had seen on his list I like so I thought I'd work through a bunch of the ones I hadn't

Last night I watched the invitation

I'd never heard of it, decided to watch the trailer and put the film on before the trailer was over Lol.
I know a lot will hate this because it's not a traditional horror but it's build up to the finale is so well done and you feel like your going through what the main character is experiencing.

it's a slow burner and the tone kind of reminded me of coherence which I love plus like that it's based around a dinner party too but I really enjoyed it.
The way the filmmaker builds up paranoia, tension and shows depression is clever and effective, the score is chilling and unsettling at times to match the main characers point in his life and the way his mind is working

Logan Marshall- green is perfect in this and the rest of the cast do a great job too. I guessed the ending quite quickly but it didn't stop me from enjoying it even though at one point toward the end I doubted my self for split second

I found some guys list on IMDB of his top 60 horror films from 2014-2017 and tbh he seems like my doppelgänger in taste for the majority. A lot of psychological horrors and the films I had seen on his list I like so I thought I'd work through a bunch of the ones I hadn't

Last night I watched the invitation

I'd never heard of it, decided to watch the trailer and put the film on before the trailer was over Lol.
I know a lot will hate this because it's not a traditional horror but it's build up to the finale is so well done and you feel like your going through what the main character is experiencing.

it's a slow burner and the tone kind of reminded me of coherence which I love plus like that it's based around a dinner party too but I really enjoyed it.
The way the filmmaker builds up paranoia, tension and shows depression is clever and effective, the score is chilling and unsettling at times to match the main characers point in his life and the way his mind is working

Logan Marshall- green is perfect in this and the rest of the cast do a great job too. I guessed the ending quite quickly but it didn't stop me from enjoying it even though at one point toward the end I doubted my self for split second

That was an excellent film! So much tension and definitely not the traditional horror. I didn't buy it after I watched it because I don't think it has much replay value, but that one-time watch... wow. Great flick!

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Status
Not open for further replies.