Roland Emmerich is Planning a Stargate Reboot

Jan 25, 2012
Piraeus, Greece
IMDB

In an interview with Digital Spy, director Roland Emmerich mentioned that he's planning a reboot to the feature film Stargate.
"We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot... and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts. Pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start."

Emmerich co-wrote and directed the original 1994 film, which starred Kurt Russel, James Spader, Jaye Davidson, and Alexis Cruz. Though he originally planned the first film as a trilogy, he says they can't make a sequel to the original film because "the actors look totally different," hence the desire for a reboot.

At the time of its release, Stargate grossed nearly $200 million at the global box office and four television spin-offs were made from the series afterward.

Attachments

• stargate-reboot-lead-in-602x396.jpg
    stargate-reboot-lead-in-602x396.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kuzco and PunkNinja
Nice to hear that Ronald Emmerich is doing the reboot, if someone was to direct a reboot of the original Stargate then it should be him.
I wonder what he is planning to do for this reboot, can he top himself?
maybe yes regarding better effects , but can he tell the same story again and will it be better then the original?

This shall be interesting to say the least. I'm definitely down to watch it when it releases. Aside from my all time favorite show 'ST: TNG', the spin offs from the original release Stargate were my second favorite.

Nothing can top the original film and especially the amazing SG-1.

I would hope that these films would be completey different stories, just set in the Stargate universe. The possibilities are endless because the 'gate can take them anywhere!