3D Startup Guide!

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Obviously with the release of 3D hardware and the acceptance of the 3D Blu-ray spec there are going to be questions. Here’s something I have put together in order to help you (hopefully) find the right equipment for your 3D setup.

First, you need a TV capable of delivering 3D content. There are various models that can do Full HD 3D.

Example:
Full HD 3D TVs:
Panasonic TC-P50VT20, TC-P50VT25
Sony XBR-46HX909, KDL-55HX800
Samsung UN46C9000, PN50C8000YF
LG 55LX6500, 55LX9500

These models feature an HDMI 1.4 which is necessary for the high speed signal to transfer to your TV.

Second, if you want to have your AV receiver handling all the various signals, it must be a receiver that has an HDMI 1.4 connection. HDMI 1.4 is capable of transmitting up to 10.2 GB/s which is necessary for the simultaneous video and audio signal.

Third, you will need cables. You don’t need to spend enormous amounts of money for an HDMI cable, places like monoprice.com usually has these cables for very low price and are very dependable. Below is just an example of the kind of cable you need.

HDMI.jpg

High Speed HDMITM Cable
Now Introducing High Speed with Ethernet Certified HDMI cables. These cables represent the highest level of performance offered by HDMI. These cables support all the newest features including:

The HDMI Ethernet Channel - Delivers Ethernet data interconnectivity to compatible devices through the HDMI port so you don't need extra cables to get extended features.

Audio Return Channel - Allows the HDMI connection between a television and A/V receiver to transmit audio two ways, both upstream and downstream. This eliminates the need for a separate audio cable and ensures you maintain the high digital audio quality of HDMI.

3D Support - Supports several different methods of rendering 3D images.

4K x 2K Support - Resolution on par with state-of-the-art Digital Cinema projectors used in the local multiplexes will be coming to your living rooms. 4K x 2K represents resolutions of 3840x2160 and 4096x2160.

More Color Spaces Supported - Supports three more color space options, sYCC601 color, Adobe RGB Color and Adobe YCC601 color in addition to the X.V color support previously supported by Deep Color. Each of these promise to deliver a wider palette of colors to bring you more vibrant pictures.

In addition, these cables are backward compatible with a previous versions of HDMI. These High speed cables are constructed to the highest quality with full triple layer shielding from end to end, strong, solid wire welds and the highest quality materials including high purity copper, gold plated connectors and tin plated conduits.
Specs & Features

Connector Type: HDMI male to HDMI male
Connector Finish: Gold
Length: 1.5ft
Gauge: 28AWG
# of conductors: 19
Conductor Plating: Tin
Shielding level: Triple
Shielding type: EMI
Ferrite Cores: Yes
Net Jacket: No
Built-in Equalizer: No
Supported Resolutions: 480i to 4K x 2K

Bandwidth: up to 340 Mhz (10.2 Gbps)

HDMI Certified: Yes
HDMI Spec: Standard Speed HDMI w/ Ethernet
HDCP Compliant: Yes
CEC Compliant: Yes
ROHS Compliant: Yes
Supports DVD Audio: Yes
Supports SACD: Yes
Supports TrueHD & DTS-HD: Yes
Overall Diameter: 6mm

Here’s a quick overview of the HDMI 1.4 introduction. Need more information please go to the official HDMI site right here.

Here are the major enhancements introduced in the HDMI 1.4 specification:
• HDMI Ethernet Channel – Adds high-speed networking to an HDMI link, allowing users to take full advantage of their IP-enabled devices without a separate Ethernet cable.

• Audio Return Channel – Allows an HDMI-connected TV with a built-in tuner to send audio data "upstream" to a surround audio system, eliminating the need for a separate audio cable.

• 3D – Defines input/output protocols for major 3D video formats, paving the way for true 3D gaming and 3D home theater applications.

• 4K Support – Enables video resolutions far beyond 1080p, supporting next-generation displays that will rival the Digital Cinema systems used in many commercial movie theatres.

• Content Type – Real-time signaling of content types between display and source devices, enabling a TV to optimize picture settings based on content type
• Additional Color Spaces – Adds support for additional color models used in digital photography and computer graphics.

• HDMI Micro Connector – A new, smaller connector for phones and other portable devices, supporting video resolutions up to 1080p.

• Automotive Connection System – New cables and connectors for automotive video systems, designed to meet the unique demands of the motoring environment while delivering true HD quality.

Fourth thing to remember, you need a player capable of delivering 3D content to your TV. We know that the PS3 has various 3D game demos (Motorstorm 2, MLB: The Show 10, and more) and 3D plugin for full games (Pain), but Sony is working on delivering a 3D firmware update for movies at a later date. Sony announced at IFA that it plans to update the PS3 in October of 2010.

There are various Blu-ray players that are capable of delivering 3D content at the moment from vendors like Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung.

Example:
Samsung BD-C5900
Sony BDP-S570, S470
LG BX580
Panasonic DMP-BDT350, BDT300 (Two HDMI outs)

Lastly, the 3D glasses are a must get accessory. Since there are no glasses free 3D TVs at the moment which means you need the glasses. Not just any glasses, each TV has their own proprietary set of glasses that you must get and they are not interchangeable, you cannot use them with other brands of 3D TVs, period.

Example:
Samsung TV needs Samsung 3D glasses
Panasonic TV needs Panasonic 3D glasses.

I can’t make this anymore simpler than that above.

Problems, questions, and suggestions….

As you know a lot of the time you will experience a movie not being able to play on your Blu-ray player or playback has issues. Whatever the case is, you must keep your players updated with the latest firmware (unless you own a Samsung Blu-ray player :p).

You just bought a AV receiver and you aren’t willing to buy a new one with an HDMI 1.4 out? Then I have a suggestion to make. I found myself in the same position when I bought my equipment and one way to go around this issue was to buy a Panasonic DMP-BDT300. The player has two HDMI outs and one can be used for audio while the other is used for video. I didn’t see the need to buy a new receiver when I can just add an extra cable and playback audio only from my receiver while the other cable goes directly to my TV for 3D content.

Example:

Workaround1.jpg

If you want to use your PS3 for 3D games, you can connect your PS3 directly to your TV. Go to Video Settings>Video Output>Automatic and it should detect you have a 3D TV and do the rest of the setup automatically. You can connect an optical Toslink cable to your receiver and that will give you DD 5.1 and/or DTS 5.1 for games. This way you can save money on a new AV receiver if you just recently bought one or don’t feel like forking out so much cash for a new one.

Example:

Workaround2-BD1HDMI.jpg

This is a good workaround for your PS3 to be able to play 3D games and still use your AV receiver.

Example 2:

Workaround2-BD2HDMI.jpg

If you decide you want a Blu-ray player and your PS3 to play 3D content. This example is using the Panasonic DMP-BDT300.

Did I miss anything? Feel free to let me know if some of the info is incorrect and will change it accordingly. Also, feel free to add any information you feel is necessary for members to know. Thank you.

Last edited:
yeah,
i will add something, if you have a mitsubishi or samsung DLP tv, all you need is the Panasonic 3D blu ray player. it has checkerboard format that DLP's use for displaying 3D content, and the glasses that work are the ones from Samsung

yeah,
i will add something, if you have a mitsubishi or samsung DLP tv, all you need is the Panasonic 3D blu ray player. it has checkerboard format that DLP's use for displaying 3D content, and the glasses that work are the ones from Samsung

don't you still need to buy the emitter for the DLP.

yeah,

elaborate please, as I have a 3d ready samsung DLP but think its just for the older 3d not this new 3d.

elaborate please, as I have a 3d ready samsung DLP but think its just for the older 3d not this new 3d.

there is this guy over on AVS forums, all he is using is that panasonice 3D blu ray player connected by HDMI 1.4 cable to his 2 year old samsung DLP, that Panasonic 3D blu ray player outputs in checkerboard 3D, look on back of your dlp, you have the emitter? then it is kinda built in. plus the same guy is using the Samsung 3D glasses, not the Panasonic ones

there is this guy over on AVS forums, all he is using is that panasonice 3D blu ray player connected by HDMI 1.4 cable to his 2 year old samsung DLP, that Panasonic 3D blu ray player outputs in checkerboard 3D, look on back of your dlp, you have the emitter? then it is kinda built in. plus the same guy is using the Samsung 3D glasses, not the Panasonic ones

DLP's with 3D Ready on them do not have emitters...
(I believe that is what Wreck said he had a couple years ago.)

FYI-per Horhay's suggestion, I added a list of 3D Blu-Rays on 9/3, in the software area here. Feel free to subscribe to that thread as well & contribute.

Amazon also has a "3D 101" area we could add to this hardware thread. Thanks all! DB

Last edited:
DLP's with 3D Ready on them do not have emitters...
(I believe that is what Wreck said he had a couple years ago.)

i had a mitsubishi 65" DLP, there was a plug in the back for connecting a device, it says Emitter, and is circular

i am not sure how that guy is hooked up, i went back to avs forums, went under user controls, i could not see any tool that let me see any posts or reply to posts so i can re read, and it was like a couple months ago lol

The US version of this player can directly output checkerboard 3D format (in addition to HDMI 1.4) which makes it particularly well suited to drive the 1080P Mitsubishi and Samsung 3D DLP HDTVs. Players from outside the US do not have the checkerboard option.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZXE87A/?tag=hidefnin-20

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Someone claimed these glasses worked instead and to buy them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Q96CCC/?tag=hidefnin-20

So I did order that player ... but I'm seeing most DLP Link glasses are 3rd party, and I'm not sure if mine will connect correctly ... if I dont see some sold by amz (because others have horrible return policies) then I will return this player to AMZ ... May just upgrade the speakers and such in this room instead.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

actually I found some glasses sold by amz....