Horror-Theatrical The Last of Us - In theaters TBA

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Last of Us ()

Tagline: Could You Be...The Last of Us?

Genre: [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE], [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR][/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR][/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE][/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: Joel and Ellie, a pair connected through the harshness of the world they live in, are forced to endure brutal circumstances and ruthless killers on a trek across post-pandemic America.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
nl9wpOKQa3I4vQJYxsc3dFu4b9b.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Deadline broke the news of this deal. Here’s a quote from Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper:

Screen Gems’ Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it and when I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay. I am thrilled that SCEA’s Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision.

More info:
Screen Gems will distribute the live action film The Last of Us based on the critically-acclaimed PlayStation 3 exclusive video game, developed by Naughty Dog. Neil Druckmann, the Creative Director for the game, will also write the script for the film. On behalf of Naughty Dog, the project will be produced by Co-Presidents' Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, as well as Creative Director Neil Druckmann and Game Director Bruce Straley, along with Sam Raimi via their Ghost House Pictures banner.

Clint Culpepper, Screen Gems' President, stated, "Screen Gems' Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it. When I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay. I am thrilled that SCEA's Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. And Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision."

"Our partnership with Sam Raimi, Ghost House Pictures, and Screen Gems to develop a film based on 'The Last of Us' universe is a perfect fit," said Evan Wells, Naughty Dog's Co-President. "Since our game released last June, we've talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn't have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards. We look forward to collaborating with Sam, his team, and Screen Gems, to make a movie that will thrill fans of 'The Last of Us' and general audiences worldwide."

The rich and visceral story of The Last of Us, which was released in June of 2013, follows hardened survivor, Joel, and Ellie, a young and capable girl, on their journey through a radically transformed world. Set twenty years after an infectious pandemic spread by the cordyceps virus ravaged the course of humanity, these two people, who were brought together by chance, must make life-altering decisions in order to survive. The Last of Us explores themes of survival, loyalty, love, and redemption in an emotionally charged expedition across a post-epidemic United States.

The Last of Us has received worldwide recognition for its innovation in storytelling and gameplay, garnering over 200 global Game of the Year awards from notable outlets. The post-apocalyptic video game also took home 10 wins at this year's Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences D.I.C.E. Awards – including Game of the Year, Outstanding Innovation in Gaming and Character Performance. Additionally, The Last of Us also won a Writers Guild of America award for "Outstanding Achievement in Writing for Video Games" and leads nominations for the British Academy of Film and Television Video Game (BAFTA) Awards with 10.

In addition to The Last of Us, Naughty Dog recently released their first-ever story expansion, The Last of US: Left Behind, a prologue to the game's single player campaign available exclusively for the PS3.

Last edited:
This better be at least as good as the game or better. Screen Gems did Resident Evil movies......
Yep, and the Underworld movies. I can't imagine it being as good as the game to be honest, which felt a lot like a film anyway imo. At least we know the script will be good with Neil Druckmann writing it... curious as to who will direct, but more worried about who will play Joel and Ellie. :ohno:

Reactions: Troll2Fan
Yep, and the Underworld movies. I can't imagine it being as good as the game to be honest, which felt a lot like a film anyway imo. At least we know the script will be good with Neil Druckmann writing it... curious as to who will direct, but more worried about who will play Joel and Ellie. :ohno:

Yeah that's 2 Big Pair of Shoes to fill Good or Bad, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Reactions: Noodles
This could be a blessing or a nightmare..man I don't know when the last video game to go to movie was good...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Resident evil, max payne, silent hill...ahhh :angry:

Assassin's creed and this to look to turn around all those horribly reviewed movies...

It just seems when they turn a video game into a real movie..it always comes off really cheesy and I really hope LoU can avoid that. Maybe something like the Road...the one thing LoU has going for it is it's storyline is not completely unbelievable, like it could work..on film.

Last edited:
When playing the game I said to my mrs that this could make a fantastic movie.

It could go either way.... it's gonna be absolutely awesome, or it could be absolutely terrible. Video game to movie reproductions don't have the best reputation.

It just seems when they turn a video game into a real movie..it always comes off really cheesy and I really hope LoU can avoid that. Maybe something like the Road...the one thing LoU has going for it is it's storyline is not completely unbelievable, like it could work..on film.
I actually just rewatched The Road the other day and while watching it I couldn't help but think the style and tone would be awesome for a TLoU film. I doubt Screen Gems will give us anything like that though... but we can hope!

Mixed feelings really. It'll most likely be rubbish as the connection to the characters came through playing through the game and making choices as well as Troy and Ashley's performance, both of which will not be present in the movie. They'll also add needless convoluted backstory and exposition and dumb down the violence to appeal to a wider audience despite Neil's involvement studio control will prevail. Hope to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:

Sam Raimi is attached to the project...ugh. He is a hit or miss, not really my favorite to direct this to be honest.

In today's world of Hollywood, they'll try to get Will Smith and daughter to play Joel and Ellie.

I found this list made by Empire to be interesting, as I actually think they'd all be pretty decent choices... 10 Actors Who Could Play Joel In The Last Of Us Movie

Interesting list. I think out of all ten, the top 2 best bets would be Hugh Jackman and Gerard Butler.

HUGH JACKMAN - He has the look of Joel and the ability to pull off a convincing accent. Not only that, but after his performance in Prisoners, I can see him really nailing this role.

RUSSELL CROWE - Russell Crowe in the 2000s could pull it off, but he's older now and doesn't exactly have the box office pull that he once had.

GERARD BUTLER - Not sure if he could erase his English accent, but Olympus Has Fallen proved that he can still pull in an audience and that he can have a great chemistry with a younger co-star.

JOSH BROLIN - Honestly, he'd probably be the best pick, but after a string of box office failures over the last year, I don't see him being given the shot at headlining a big-budget flick any time soon.

VIGGO MORTENSEN - Unless The Last of Us is directed by David Cronenberg, I doubt he'll show any interest in the project. Not only that, but this is somewhat similar to The Road and I don't see him revisiting that genre.

DYLAN McDERMOTT - An awesome underrated actor who should've been given his big shot YEARS ago. Again, I don't think he has enough star power to be given a film like this. That said, I've ALWAYS picked Dylan as my top choice as Solid Snake if a Metal Gear Solid film ever gets off of the ground.

KARL URBAN - A great actor with a loyal fanbase, this choice could work. He doesn't really have a lot of star power, but he has enough where the film could still be successful as long as the actress who's chosen for Ellie has a decent amount of star power as well.

LIAM NEESON - I love Liam Neeson, but this is definitely a no. He's towering and his characters are always Irish. He COULD surprise me and I'd probably still be happy if he was chosen just because I love his acting, but I just don't see him as Joel.

BRADLEY COOPER - This is another pretty big no. I could see him as Tommy, Joel's brother, but not Joel himself.

BRUCE CAMPBELL - I'm sorry, but he's just too old now. I'd love to see him as Sully in an Uncharted film, but not as Joel in The Last of Us. Empire just chose him here because who doesn't love Bruce Campbell?

Overall, a pretty good list. I'm hoping for Hugh, Josh or Karl, but it all comes down to star power. If Sony and Screen Gems want The Last of Us to be successful (though I doubt it'll ever reach World War Z or I Am Legend numbers), they need the star power.

That's a great list actually and out of all of those the only ones I wouldn't want to see as Joel would be Russell Crowe and Bradley Cooper

Reactions: Noodles
Interesting list. I think out of all ten, the top 2 best bets would be Hugh Jackman and Gerard Butler.

HUGH JACKMAN - He has the look of Joel and the ability to pull off a convincing accent. Not only that, but after his performance in Prisoners, I can see him really nailing this role.

RUSSELL CROWE - Russell Crowe in the 2000s could pull it off, but he's older now and doesn't exactly have the box office pull that he once had.

GERARD BUTLER - Not sure if he could erase his English accent, but Olympus Has Fallen proved that he can still pull in an audience and that he can have a great chemistry with a younger co-star.

JOSH BROLIN - Honestly, he'd probably be the best pick, but after a string of box office failures over the last year, I don't see him being given the shot at headlining a big-budget flick any time soon.

VIGGO MORTENSEN - Unless The Last of Us is directed by David Cronenberg, I doubt he'll show any interest in the project. Not only that, but this is somewhat similar to The Road and I don't see him revisiting that genre.

DYLAN McDERMOTT - An awesome underrated actor who should've been given his big shot YEARS ago. Again, I don't think he has enough star power to be given a film like this. That said, I've ALWAYS picked Dylan as my top choice as Solid Snake if a Metal Gear Solid film ever gets off of the ground.

KARL URBAN - A great actor with a loyal fanbase, this choice could work. He doesn't really have a lot of star power, but he has enough where the film could still be successful as long as the actress who's chosen for Ellie has a decent amount of star power as well.

LIAM NEESON - I love Liam Neeson, but this is definitely a no. He's towering and his characters are always Irish. He COULD surprise me and I'd probably still be happy if he was chosen just because I love his acting, but I just don't see him as Joel.

BRADLEY COOPER - This is another pretty big no. I could see him as Tommy, Joel's brother, but not Joel himself.

BRUCE CAMPBELL - I'm sorry, but he's just too old now. I'd love to see him as Sully in an Uncharted film, but not as Joel in The Last of Us. Empire just chose him here because who doesn't love Bruce Campbell?

Overall, a pretty good list. I'm hoping for Hugh, Josh or Karl, but it all comes down to star power. If Sony and Screen Gems want The Last of Us to be successful (though I doubt it'll ever reach World War Z or I Am Legend numbers), they need the star power.

My top 3 choices would be Brolin, Viggo and Jackman. Under no circumstances would I want to see Cooper, Campbell or Neeson as Joel.

Reactions: lolwut
I agree with the top 5 in that list a lot more than the bottom 5, but I still think any of them would be decent choices... their final decision could be worse, and for some reason I'm expecting it will be. :(