Gone Girl - In theatres October 3rd, 2014

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
From IMDB:
A woman mysteriously disappears on the day of her wedding anniversary. Based on the novel, "Gone Girl."

Director: David Fincher
Starring: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris

Attachments

• gonegirl.jpg
    gonegirl.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RekLess and spass
Saw the trailer for this before Deliver Us From Evil last night. So much anticipation. This can't come soon enough.

Heck, the trailer itself is one of the best trailers of the year. That cover of "She" overlaying the whole trailer is spot on.

And some dummy in the audience actually said, "Looks pretty dumb." His loss if he really doesn't plan to see this.

Saw this last night on opening night. Phenomenal. David Fincher just gets better and better as a director. Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike are both outstanding in the lead roles. The timing and precision of this movie are perfect. My only complaint is that Bat-junk makes an appearance.

Reactions: Drum18
I absolutely loved it. I was mesmerized every second and didn't want it to end. The structure was brilliant and everything about it - acting, cinematography, editing, score, script - was just fantastic.

I did guess that Amy was framing her husband based on the trailer and hearing that she was a writer, but I wasn't expecting that to be revealed in the second act, and everything after that was unpredictable. I did find the ending implausible with Amy getting away with everything, but I can see why it was chosen. It was the most dramatically interesting, anti-Hollywood resolution and it fit with the marriage and punishment themes.

9.5/10

Saw this yesterday afternoon.
Haven't read the book, and stayed away from trailers except the first one.
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in a perfectly constructed psychological horror/drama film that makes you think.
8.5/10.
The film itself is so well made that what you make of it is a reflection of your interpretation, rather than anything actually wrong with the film's construction.
The acting, directing and Trent Reznor's score are fantastic. (Cinematography is pretty cool as well)(The track during the 'sex scene' is pretty amazing, which btw is terrifying).
My biggest problem is how unlikable a lot of the characters are. From Amy's parents, NPH's character, the news reporters .. and then the leads. They just ended up being unreliable caricatures for me .. and that's the point. Through caricatures, the story builds on themes of marriage, trust, and how one projects themselves to the people around them. I did struggle to relate to the themes because of that.
Still a great watch, but I would rate Fincher's Zodiac and Seven above this.

Rover

Question for everyone that's seen it ... How rewatchable do we think it is? Especially interested in the book-readers' opinions.
I know a lot of collectors buy steelbooks for films they would watch again. Are you looking forward to the inevitable steelbook?
For me, despite the brilliant build-up, the 'stagnant' ending didn't make me want to go see it again in the cinemas. I would probably pass on getting the blu-ray/steelbook.

Rover

Question for everyone that's seen it ... How rewatchable do we think it is? Especially interested in the book-readers' opinions.
I know a lot of collectors buy steelbooks for films they would watch again. Are you looking forward to the inevitable steelbook?
For me, despite the brilliant build-up, the 'stagnant' ending didn't make me want to go see it again in the cinemas. I would probably pass on getting the blu-ray/steelbook.

Rover

I have seen it twice so far and personally I think it is very re watchable much like Finchers others films. I noticed some new things the second time and I didnt feel bored at all which usually means I'll watch it many more times. It is my favourite film so far this year, only competition it has is Interstellar, night crawler and bird man which also look amazing.

Reactions: rover