4K Blu-ray "Ultra HD Blu-ray" details

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per the digital bits:

I’ve just spent the last hour on the phone with BDA spokesperson Dan Schinasi and Ron Martin of Panasonic Hollywood Labs, and I can announce and confirm that 4K Blu-ray will officially be known as Ultra HD Blu-ray. The logo has not yet been finalized, but Dan and Ron were able to offer significant new details about the format.

As you know, the BDA’s global promotions committee chair, Victor Matsuda, has confirmed that the BDA board has now approved the draft extension of the existing Blu-Ray spec to include 4K. I’m told that the actual 4K spec extension is close to lockdown, with major agreement already in place between the various BDA members – there’s apparently just a few loose ends yet to be worked out. The spec is expected to be frozen sometime in the first half of 2015, with the goal that format licensing can begin by mid-year. That could mean that the first actual players and discs may arrive in stores in time for the holidays this year (Panasonic’s Ultra HD Blu-ray prototype is pictured below), though I suspect you’ll more likely see the first real rollout at CES 2016.

I’ve also officially confirmed that Ultra HD Blu-ray willrequire a new player, but that these new players will be backwards compatible, able to play all current Blu-ray and DVD software (including the existing 1080p Blu-ray 3D discs – note that true 4K 3D doesn’t yet technically exist yet as a format). Ultra HD Blu-ray will employ High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC – also known as H.265), which is the successor to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and is considered the most efficient video compression standard available. Given that 4K video content requires much greater data space than existing 1080p, Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs will be produced in two configurations: 66GB dual-layer and 100GB triple-layer. Dan and Ron tell me that the goal in creating the Ultra HD Blu-ray spec extension is to future-proof the format, by including higher video frame rates (up to 60p), wider color gamut (up to Rec.2020 or BT.2020), and High Dynamic Range (HDR). All of this is hardware-mandated by the spec, though actual software implementation of this capability will of course be up to the individual studios and content providers. But the idea is that it gives filmmakers and content producers a great deal of room to work, and lots of headroom to add image quality going forward, as display manufactures roll out future and ever more capable UHD displays.

Ultra HD Blu-ray is also going to include some optionalspec capabilities, the implementation of which will be up to both hardware and software manufactures. One of these will be Digital Extension or Digital Bridge, which (if and when employed) could allow consumers to securely move and copy movie content from the UHD-BD discs to their own hard drives and to mobile devices. The goal is to make the whole “digital copy” process much easier on Ultra HD Blu-ray than it is today on existing Blu-ray and DVD.

The open question, of course, is whether or not the Hollywood studios will move to firmly support Ultra HD Blu-ray, even as they’re pulling back from existing Blu-ray in favor of streaming and downloads. Moreover, by the time Ultra HD Blu-ray players and discs start to come to market, there will already be stiff competition from Netflix, Amazon Prime and other services, which are making strong commitments to streaming 4K content delivery. But the good news, I’m told, is that there’s great enthusiasm and excitement for Ultra HD Blu-ray among the various BDA member studios, which include Disney, Sony, Fox, Warner, and others, as well as a great deal of cooperation within the industry. And of course, many of these studios are already mastering their films in 4K, so there should be no shortage of available content.

The goal of all this work (that’s currently under way within the BDA) is to ensure that Ultra HD Blu-ray greatly exceeds the quality of any other 4K video delivery format, and obviously to get the studios, the filmmakers, and of course movie/home theater consumers truly excited about physical media again. We’ve certainly all heard lots of talk about how it’s hard for most people to really appreciate the difference between 1080p and 4K content on mid-sized displays at average living room viewing distances, but the hope is that 4K resolution plus Ultra HD Blu-ray’s higher frame rate, wider color gamut, and greater dynamic range will make those difference obvious to anyone.

All right, I’d say that’s enough news for now. Not bad for one day, yes?

My thanks to Dan Schinasi of the BDA, Ron Martin of Panasonic Hollywood Labs, and Heather Gioco of Hoog Comm for their time and support today. Rest assured, we’ll be talking Ultra HD Blu-ray lots more with them in the weeks and months ahead, and we’ll be sure to bring all the latest details to you here at The Bits as we get them.

Stay tuned!

- Bill Hunt

I am not techy at all, but I remember reading an Article that James CAmeron was commenting on 4K and saying that he did not like this for home entertainment, he said he preferred the regular blu-rays(he explained more in details) as they retain the ''film'' feeling. The feeling that we are watching a Movie that comes with a regular blu-ray. He stated that when you go to higher like 4K it removes the movie effect/feeling that they make an effort to ensure it is there so we feel like we are watching a movie, the quality of the picture is movie like as Opposed to 4K it's too high resolution and we lose that movie feeling that they ensure to achieve while making a movie. They want us to feel like we are watching a movie and not like a home video as the resolution is too high. I read something in the lines of this. Please don't come down on me I am just rewriting what he has said... so if James Cameron made such a statement I am sure they will manage to keep the movie experience for us. It was mentioned also it is not that it is higher resolution that it is better passed blu-ray resolution.

Blu ray hasn't even really taken off over here yet let alone 4K!!! :D :D

Xtra-vision still try to pawn DVD's on me if they don't have a certain title I'm looking for. To be honest I don't know a whole lot of friends/colleagues who watch blu ray. They seem to be happy still watching DVD's!!

We're so backwards here in Ireland in so many ways still.

So yeah. How ever long it takes Blu Ray to die out, you can add another 10 years onto that for Ireland!!! :p

4K in 2026??! :D

Reactions: luke98
aa438e4eab8e724687a9bddb97fcfe48_3x3.jpg

Reactions: luke98

Xtra-vision still try to pawn DVD's on me if they don't have a certain title I'm looking for. To be honest I don't know a whole lot of friends/colleagues who watch blu ray. They seem to be happy still watching DVD's!!

So yeah. How ever long it takes Blu Ray to die out, you can add another 10 years onto that for Ireland!!! :p

Well, it's not really Ireland being backwards, the whole world hasn't really moved away from DVD. Masses of titles, especially from the far east are still released on DVD only, as well as all the classic Brit TV is almost exclusively DVD release.
As for Blu Ray dying out, it still hasn't taken over from DVD, and 4k is, unsuprisingly struggling away at the bottom.
4k is the format llkely to die first for a whole raft or reasons, not least the fact that unless you watch TV on a 65inch set or above you will see no discernible difference from Blu Ray. As the vast majority watch TV on smaller screens then that alone is a death knell lurking in the wings for 4K in general.

I think a bigger problem is the way fans of TV shows are treated on blu-ray. I've lost count of the many shows that start to be released on blu-ray and then they stop reverting back to DVD sighting "sales" "cost" etc as the reason for not continuing any further. Now if that's the studios attitude to the HD format for physical media., It does not bode well for an even higher HD format. Also some shows that come out on blu-ray only get done because of fans working behind the scenes or vanity labels. Do you honestly think Lost in Space would get a blu-ray release if it were up to Fox and the scream of "We want X-Files" on blu-ray is becoming louder each day but Fox don't want to know. A very very depressing situation for fans at the minute.......

The scream of "We want X-Files" on blu-ray is becoming louder each day but Fox don't want to know. A very very depressing situation for fans at the minute.......
Fox are already sitting on HD remasters of X-files.

It's been proven as some have already been screened on German TV. Rumour is they are waiting for the new series to be launched (in 2016) and they will release the original series on Blu Ray to cash in.....

Don't believe that. A new series would not make one jot of difference to people buying the blu-rays. If the blu-rays came out in the morning they would be snapped up.

haha Xtra-vision and there DVDs :p DVDs everywhere in Ireland :p anyway i ain't buying a Ultra HD Blu-ray player :p i won't benefit from it :p so just Blu-ray for me :p

Last edited:
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Don't believe that. A new series would not make one jot of difference to people buying the blu-rays. If the blu-rays came out in the morning they would be snapped up.
I completely agree.

Looks like they are just waiting for the right time to do it and thinking of throwing the net over as much people as possible when they do.

There are probably some out there who've never even heard of the X-files yet!

Complete waste of time, if your going to go to a decent resolution, then make it 8K or don't bother, as apparently at this point anything more just wouldn't be beneficial, you won't be able to tell the difference at higher resolutions anyway. Once we hit 8K, that's it. The end.

I don't yet have a 4k TV and have the feeling that early adopters become beta testers, the ones that help iron out the problems for a decent stable system down the line.

Also I'm disappointed by the UHD blu ray format; a 'bolt on' to blu ray rather than a new, higher density technology. The attempt to increase the size of a blu ray discs rather than create a new higher density disc explains why there's no 4k 3D, they'd never fit a 3D 4k movie on a disc. I will be interested to see (objective) reviews and some sales figures...

Hmm, this sounds great and all for movie enthusiasts but man, I made a post about a year ago in the future of 4k collecting thread and I'm pretty sure it still applies. Other posts in this thread nail it, the general population does not utilize blu-ray currently and introducing a brand new type of player, along with different disc cases might make it a lot more confusing.

I didn't even think about streaming devices. I just remember working in the movie retail business and people walking around the store "what is blu-ray???"

You know I'm pretty sick of Hollywood re-release the same movies 10 times over ..I understand it's cool you can see pours better and whatever..but it truly pisses me off...I can't understand how people are just "so excited" for this ....its way to soon and we don't need it ...I always ask every media store I purchase from what the biggest sellers are ...by far still DVDs..people haven't even started really with blurays...and what are we supposed to do with our bluray collections ..I own 1500....maybe more not including thousands of steelbooks ...we all work hard to acquire money ..the time we spent working is off the limited time we have on this earth ....I put so much energy into working to buy my blurays and shopping for them, and now there is something new...?i hope this is just another laser disc fad...screw these Hollywood greedy d-bags ..enough is enough ..and you wonder why people are streaming more and more ...pfff I'm keeping all of my blurays for now and maybe forever ...I still believe it will be the last major form of physical media .....Go waste your hard earned money on 4k...then as soon as you get a collection they have something new... streaming is already the most popular right now and growing .. i support hollywood when i spend 20-45$ on a movie nevermind going to the theaters... i really hope this doesnt effect the value in steelbooks.. man most of my 20s i spent obsessed with them ..working and buying...this is to stressfull and depressing .. seeing this new 4k garbage at best buy just makes me sick...anyways ..just thought i would vent please excuse my passion :)

You know I'm pretty sick of Hollywood re-release the same movies 10 times over ..I understand it's cool you can see pours better and whatever..but it truly pisses me off...I can't understand how people are just "so excited" for this ....its way to soon and we don't need it ...I always ask every media store I purchase from what the biggest sellers are ...by far still DVDs..people haven't even started really with blurays...and what are we supposed to do with our bluray collections ..I own 1500....maybe more not including thousands of steelbooks ...we all work hard to acquire money ..the time we spent working is off the limited time we have on this earth ....I put so much energy into working to buy my blurays and shopping for them, and now there is something new...?i hope this is just another laser disc fad...screw these Hollywood greedy d-bags ..enough is enough ..and you wonder why people are streaming more and more ...pfff I'm keeping all of my blurays for now and maybe forever ...I still believe it will be the last major form of physical media .....Go waste your hard earned money on 4k...then as soon as you get a collection they have something new... streaming is already the most popular right now and growing .. i support hollywood when i spend 20-45$ on a movie nevermind going to the theaters... i really hope this doesnt effect the value in steelbooks.. man most of my 20s i spent obsessed with them ..working and buying...this is to stressfull and depressing .. seeing this new 4k garbage at best buy just makes me sick...anyways ..just thought i would vent please excuse my passion :)

Well no need to rush into 4k ... and it will up scale our regular Blu-rays so when I decide to make the leap I'm happy knowing my current BD collection will just look even better.

Reactions: Truthsteel