4K UHD Blu-ray Slipcover Discussion Thread

Which studio has been releasing your favorite 4K slipcovers?

• Lionsgate

• Paramount

• Shout! Factory

• Sony Pictures

• Universal Studios

• Warner Bros.

• Other (if a new studio has produced a 4K slip, please mention it below)

• Disney

Results are only viewable after voting.

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
4K UHD Blu-ray is becoming a larger thing now and along with it comes many new, cool-looking slipcovers. Use this thread to discuss the slipcovers on the 4K Blu-ray releases, no matter which country.

This is to only talk about the slipcovers on the 4K releases. If you'd like to actually discuss the releases themselves, please head to the Blu-ray & 4K UHD Disc section instead. :thumbs:

------------------------------------------------------

No haul photo, but I just have to say, I absolutely love the 4K slipcovers that Universal is putting out in North America. The rounded corners and glossy photo-finish covers are extremely unique and clean-looking. I'll definitely be adding some to my shelf in the future! :drool:

View attachment 260000
4k-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AtticusFinch
No haul photo, but I just have to say, I absolutely love the 4K slipcovers that Universal is putting out in North America. The rounded corners and glossy photo-finish covers are extremely unique and clean-looking. I'll definitely be adding some to my shelf in the future! :drool:
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. I saw Oblivion 4K and OMG! That rounded corners remind me of Asian slip covers. And that "photo-finish cover" is amazing! I'll try to post pics later. Do you know exactly what they are? Because they are glued on like lenticulars but better. I dont know about others but Oblivion has a shiny layer that you can only see under slightly lit room :drool:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. I saw Oblivion 4K and OMG! That rounded corners remind me of Asian slip covers. And that "photo-finish cover" is amazing! I'll try to post pics later. Do you know exactly what they are? Because they are glued on like lenticulars but better. I dont know about others but Oblivion has a shiny layer that you can only see under slightly lit room :drool:

I have no idea what this new glued-on surface is called. You're right; it's just like a lenticular card. I've never seen it before on a slipcover myself. It gives a super-clear appearance to the image, though. Both Oblivion and Lucy looked fantastic in-hand. Any idea what name we're going with on this one, @kryptonite?

I have no idea what this new glued-on surface is called. You're right; it's just like a lenticular card. I've never seen it before on a slipcover myself. It gives a super-clear appearance to the image, though. Both Oblivion and Lucy looked fantastic in-hand. Any idea what name we're going with on this one, @kryptonite?

I haven't noticed it too. I will see if I can see them this Tuesday. I will post some photos when I can.

Yeah Snow white had it too. Its obvious they are doing it as its a play-on to the super clarity of 4k. I dont like the rounded corners tho, i like full slips all the way up looks better on shelf that way.

Yeah Snow white had it too. Its obvious they are doing it as its a play-on to the super clarity of 4k. I dont like the rounded corners tho, i like full slips all the way up looks better on shelf that way.

That's what I thought, too. They're very clear-looking, so it's definitely a play on the film being Ultra HD. I wasn't so sure about the rounded corners at first, but then the OCD freak in me said, "This is brilliant! If the edges are rounded, I won't worry about dented corners anymore!" :LOL:

Reactions: Wreck
Lucy has a slip? :wow: I didnt see it at my BB. For some reason we dont always get the slipcovers for 4K blurays. I dont know if its just my location or a BB Canada issue. Any idea when Lucy was released?

We should call it photocular? :wacky:

I havent fully upgraded to 4K but so far Universal is the best. I do like WB's Watchmen slip as well.

Last edited:
Lucy has a slip? :wow: I didnt see it at my BB. For some reason we dont always get the slipcovers for 4K blurays. I dont know its its just my location or a BB Canada issue. Any idea when Lucy was released?

We should call it photocular? :wacky:

I havent fully upgraded to 4K but so far Universal is the best. I do like WB's Watchmen slip as well.

Photocular? Funny enough, 'photicular' is just another word used for lenticular. :p

And yeah, Lucy's slipcover looked great! Her eyes on the cover really pop with that ultra-clear image. It was apparently released on August 9th. I saw one at London Drugs.

Photocular? Funny enough, 'photicular' is just another word used for lenticular. :p

And yeah, Lucy's slipcover looked great! Her eyes on the cover really pop with that ultra-clear image. It was apparently released on August 9th. I saw one at London Drugs.
Never heard the term 'photicular' before this :cyclops:

As posted by 'MovieBuffBeth' at BR:
View attachment 260232
Oh nice. But i just picked up the 'pop art' slipcover for Lucy. Not a big fan of the floating face by itself on the slip; it needed some designs.
If there is one thing i want these companies to do is choose a different art than Bluray. Probably unlikely, right?

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Don't say that as I have very little room for my slipcover collection. Maybe I need to give-away some to make room.
I dont either.
For UHD, I'm gonna try even harder to only buy the ones i'll rewatch for sure. Like 100%. Unlike regular Bluray, where there is a "may be". For 4K, its either 'yes' or 'no'. At least, that's the theory...

But first i need to buy a 4K TV :hilarious::cautious:

For UHD, I'm gonna try even harder to only buy the ones i'll rewatch for sure. Like 100%. Unlike regular Bluray, where there is a "may be". For 4K, its either 'yes' or 'no'. At least, that's the theory...

I'm going to play it the exact same way. I'm cutting down on collecting BIG TIME, so there will only be favourites in my collection going forward. As of right now, looking at what's been released in North America, the only ones that I'm definitely getting are Oblivion and the upcoming Pacific Rim and (possibly) Warcraft. I might get San Andreas and the two Huntsman movies, but that's it. I'm really only going 4K for newer films, too. That means leaving films like Ghostbusters and Labyrinth to the side.

And I really doubt I'll buy a 4K Blu-ray that doesn't come with a slipcover. Slipcovers are kinda the prerequisite. :p

It's like a photo-lenticular which is different from a 3D lenticular. I really like the glossy photo printed on a thick card stock.

I really like it, too. I can't wait to see other Universal films in 4K with these slips now, like the Jurassic Park films and Jaws. So, I guess we'll go with the term 'photicular' then?