[Nominations closed] 4th Annual HDN Steelbook of the Year-Nominations Chat-Your top 3 faves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi Ninjas!

*This thread is for nominations only*

Welcome to our 4th annual tradition of the HDN Steelbook of the Year nominuation chat!
Every year, we open a thread so that you can chime in with your own personal picks of what Steelbooks should be included in the VOTING POLL (posted in January 2015), so we all can vote for hidefninja.com's annual tradition of 'Steelbook of the Year'.

In this thread, please list your favorite 3 Steelbooks only , released in 2014 that should be considered for the poll. I will once again tally all of the picks, and rank them by the # of 'nominations' (mentions) they each receive. Only the first 3 you mention will be counted. Please list the Steelbook, the retailer,and the country-be as specific as possible. Feel free to add why you think your 3 choices should be considered, but please do not post more than 3. The top 25 nominated Steelbooks will be included in the poll.

**A list of Steelbook releases can be found here in the 'Upcoming Releases' thread.

After that process is complete, our annual poll will be posted, and you will have the chance to vote for as many choices as you wish-but you can only vote once.

As in previous years, the Steelbook with the most votes will become the community's pick for 'Steelbook of the Year'.

This nominations thread will close 1/10/2015 (all nominations posted until 12:01 mid EST on 1/10/2015), and we will start to vote on 1/15/2015 until 1/31/2015.
Thanks everyone for participating!

Past winners:

2013: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Zavvi-UK)

2012: The Raid (Play-UK)

2011: Thor (Worldwide)

Last edited:
Ender's Game [HMV Exclusive]
Mondo artwork, debossing on the back, beautiful glossing. This is just an all around well done steelbook.

Robin Hood [Zavvi Exclusive]
Amazing artwork, even more amazing embossing, more beautiful glossing. Childhood favorite bias? Maybe

Transcendence [MediaMarkt Exclusive]
The more I look at this, the more I like it. The clever use of debossing on the front is really well done, and the split of very smooth gloss and matt finish on the back make for an awesome contrast.

Last edited:
Did we not already have a thread/vote for this? I'm sure I remember nominating Wolf of Wall Street and Ender's Game. :confused:

Maybe I dreamt it though, because it would've been strange having the vote earlier in the year. I'll post my nominations soon anyway... need to have a good think!

This is like trying to pick your favorite child (though, I have none :p).

1) 47 Ronin (WWA) -- Perfect combination of simplicity and embossing on the front, with superb art on the back and inside.
2) Mars Attacks (Zavvi) -- Awesome finish and embossing on this one. The color and finish almost gives it a slimy effect...who doesn't love that ?
3) V for Vendetta (Zavvi) -- Simple, yet very classy looking. Love the title embossing and the artwork finish is amazing.

Disclaimer: I only picked ones that have been released and are actually sitting in my collection right now. So this could be subject to change later in the year. We shall see...

Last edited:
Reactions: MGD
Guardians of the Galaxy....just kidding :hilarious:....seriously do not include that as a nomination :mad:

Actually it's been a pretty woeful year for steelbook art so far. There's a couple I've got in mind but I'll hold back until I have more to choose from.

Reactions: BradG1984
1. I saw the Devil (PET Slip)
2. 47 Ronin (WWR) & IM (Blufans)
3. Rush (Kimchi, Plain)
4. Frozen (Blufan)

Honorable mention for Nova & PA Drive.....:drool:

Last edited:
Reactions: MGD and Troll2Fan
There are still so many to be released or yet to even have artwork reveals! And I'll bet there's some crackers still to be announced too ;)
But here are my top 3 of this year SO FAR:

Army Of Darkness - Zavvi. Perfect art on both front and back, and a great use of metallic inks with a gloss finish.
Amelie - Kimchi. The green and yellow work really well with the high gloss, really simple but beautiful.
There Will Be Blood - Zavvi. Perfect use of a matte finish, super use of metallic ink used on clever and well thought out cover artwork all combine which fits the films atmosphere perfectly. Classic!

Note: I haven't included any announced steels that have already been up for pre-order but are yet to ship, Plain Archive I Saw the Devil, Future Shop x Mondo Drive, Kimchi Her etc... as I tend not to fully judge a steel until I have it in hand, but they look like they could be contenders too.

1. The Wolf of Wall Street - UK
2. V for Vendetta - Zavvi
3. The Wrestler - Plain Archive (I think it was this year), just because it was the start of my love for Plain Archive!

1. Leon KimchiDVD
2. Pacific Rim Blufans
3. Rush KimchiDVD

I think i'll stick to nominating titles that have actually been released, every Steelbook looks good on a computer screen. :thumbs:

My picks:
1. The Wolf of Wall Street (UK)
2. Ender's Game (HMV Exclusive) (UK)
3. Big Trouble in Little China (UK)

An honourable mention goes to The Disney Collection from Zavvi. There have been so many great ones, it's too difficult to pick a favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.