[Nominations closed] 4th Annual HDN Steelbook of the Year-Nominations Chat-Your top 3 faves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi Ninjas!

*This thread is for nominations only*

Welcome to our 4th annual tradition of the HDN Steelbook of the Year nominuation chat!
Every year, we open a thread so that you can chime in with your own personal picks of what Steelbooks should be included in the VOTING POLL (posted in January 2015), so we all can vote for hidefninja.com's annual tradition of 'Steelbook of the Year'.

In this thread, please list your favorite 3 Steelbooks only , released in 2014 that should be considered for the poll. I will once again tally all of the picks, and rank them by the # of 'nominations' (mentions) they each receive. Only the first 3 you mention will be counted. Please list the Steelbook, the retailer,and the country-be as specific as possible. Feel free to add why you think your 3 choices should be considered, but please do not post more than 3. The top 25 nominated Steelbooks will be included in the poll.

**A list of Steelbook releases can be found here in the 'Upcoming Releases' thread.

After that process is complete, our annual poll will be posted, and you will have the chance to vote for as many choices as you wish-but you can only vote once.

As in previous years, the Steelbook with the most votes will become the community's pick for 'Steelbook of the Year'.

This nominations thread will close 1/10/2015 (all nominations posted until 12:01 mid EST on 1/10/2015), and we will start to vote on 1/15/2015 until 1/31/2015.
Thanks everyone for participating!

Past winners:

2013: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Zavvi-UK)

2012: The Raid (Play-UK)

2011: Thor (Worldwide)

Last edited:
SteelBook award has to include the total package: slip, lenti, booklets, cards, embossing, etc. Non-asians are basically non-starters for me.

1. Amelie (kimchidvd)

2. Perfume (kimchidvd)

3. Kung Fu Panda 1+2 (blufans)

My choices currently would be: (in no order)

I saw the Devil PET ( Plain Archive)
Wrestler ( Plain Archive)
Riddick (HMV)

My FUTURE (Dec) choices would be: (in no order)

Gladiator HDzeta
Iron Man Blufans
Jumanji Zavvi

I vote for:
1/ Frozen (blufans)
2/ Transformer Age of Extinction (blufans Art C)
3/ Hercules (Walmart)

Other worth mention
Pianist (kimchi)
Riddick (HMV)
Toy Story 3 (Zavi)
Corpse Bride (ES)
Robocop 1987 (UK)

Note: I own none of these :(

Reactions: digitalbabe
In no particular order:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (any country)
Transcendence Germany
Maleficent UK

Runner-up: X-Men DOFP (mm Germany Lenticular)

I seem to have a problem choosing my top three. Looking at past year winners, they are just steelbooks. Fast forward to 2014 and now we have full slips, lenticular slips, booklets (16-40p) art cards, post cards and steelbook included. How do you compare wolf of wall street UK (beautifully made steelbook) with the 'package' of PA's I saw the devil PET slip. It just seems to be getting out of hand (in terms of trying to compare that is)..not sure if anyone else feels the same. I guess with the addition of slips, normal steelbooks don't have a shot anymore, imo. It's 240 in the moring and I was bored sorry!!lol.

With that said...in no order

There will be blood - zavvi
Wolf of wall street - UK
Pacific rim - blufans

My pic would be

1) I saw the devil PA exclusive
- Even Steelbook alone has been given pretty careful and detailed treatment, that includes entirely newly made art on both front and back. And additionally slips, be it PET or Full, have been impressive as well. This for me is steelbook of the year, with or without slip package and/or disk content.
2) Mulan Zavvi Exclusive
- Excellent, and more importantly colorful front and back art with very well embossed treatment.

3) Maleficent UK/ESP
- Best embossed/debossed steelbook of the year in my opinion. Superb inside artwork.

Reactions: watkinson
I figured @howiesteed:) We prefer to focus on the items our members like for this site-wide, annual vote, to celebrate those Steelbooks that were well thought out and made. But feel free to start a thread in the Steelbook Chat forum to discuss the ones you didn't like. Perhaps it will catch on as another HDN tradition in the future. Thanks!

Reactions: whysoserious?
Okay here are my Top 3 based on what I actually own (or on order)

Gladiator HDZeta
Pianist KimchiDVD
I Saw the Devil (PET) Plain Archive

Special Mention for a mass produced steelbook:
Fifth Element - Project PopArt (Best Buy/FS)

Last edited:
My fav of the year are:

1 - Tangled - Zavvi
2 - Maleficent - Zavvi
3 - World War Z - ES

Its so hard though cos this year has had some great releases.

Wolf of Wall Street
Star Trek: Into Darkness - Hero Edition
Kick Ass 2
Worlds End

To name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.