Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
NIGHTCRAWLER
Oct 31, 2014

Starring:
Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Bill Paxton

Synopsis:
Nightcrawler is a pulse-pounding thriller set in the nocturnal underbelly of contemporary Los Angeles. Jake Gyllenhaal stars as Lou Bloom, a driven young man desperate for work who discovers the high-speed world of L.A. crime journalism. Finding a group of freelance camera crews who film crashes, fires, murder and other mayhem, Lou muscles into the cut-throat, dangerous realm of nightcrawling — where each police siren wail equals a possible windfall and victims are converted into dollars and cents. Aided by Rene Russo as Nina, a veteran of the blood-sport that is local TV news, Lou thrives. In the breakneck, ceaseless search for footage, he becomes the star of his own story.

Poster:
nightcrawler-poster.jpg

Teaser:

Trailer:

Last edited:
Jake has been on my favorite actor list ever since Jarhead. I remember watching a TV show a few years back that followed these LA photographers who chase down the car crashes and gun fights and I thought that was really exciting. Nice that they've used that as a concept for a film. I'll definitely check this out, but the trailer makes it look pretty strange.

Just watched this. Wasn't sure what to expect but it really held my interest from the off.

Jake is in fine form displaying a somewhat twisted character with the inability to relate to people

Film reminded me in places of One Hour Photo...so if that's your bag...

Will be going to see it on Halloween. Hoping for all out bug-eyed weirdness from the early trailers (the latest red band is awful imo)

Yup, I was right, this is film of the year for me at least.

Terrific movie, and Gyllenhaal is sublime as Bloom. Most definitely Gyllenhaal's 'Taxi Driver'.

Just go back, I'd give it an 8/10 on first viewing. My expectations were high ever since I first started following the film, and they were through the roof after the trailer came out, so I'm not surprised I'm a little disappointed. I'd place it behind Gone Girl, The Raid 2, and Blue Ruin. It was gripping and impeccably shot and acted, but the story was kind of predictable.

Reactions: Last Lizard
Really good story and really great acting by Jake, but the soundtrack was awkward. Maybe it was intentional, but I'm more inclined to think it was just due to an inexperienced director. There were several scenes where the score did not match up with the emotion of the scene and it was really distracting.

7/10

Last edited:
Really good story and really great acting by Jake, but the soundtrack was awkward. Maybe it was intentional, but I'm more inclined to think it was just due to an inexperienced director. There were several scenes where the score did not match up with the emotion of the scene and it was really distracting.

7/10

Yes there were a couple of moments where the music choices were odd but this didn't spoil the film for me. I loved the sound design with the various layers of police chatter.

7/10

Definitely intentional. My take was that the nice, pleasant music was meant to put us inside Lou's head. He sees beauty where most people see horror. Look at his expression when he gets the best shot after dragging the body from the wreck (not a spoiler, it's in the trailer).

• Helpful Post
Reactions: RekLess