DigiPack A Chinese Ghost Story, Trilogy (Blu-ray Digipack) [Korea]

Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Release date: 31st December, 2014
Purchase link: N/A yet

12_51764a.jpg

12_51764.jpg

So unbelievably happy! My favourite Hong Kong movie ever (and its sequels)! I urge everyone to watch these to witness when Hong Kong cinema was at the height of creativity; a time when if they can think it up, they'd make it happen on the screen. In the first movie alone there's an ancient tree spirit with a gigantic tongue, an army of ghosts and a wall made of corpses and flying heads all done without CGI of course. If that doesn't sell you, there's always this:

I can't wait to get my hands on the other Fortune Star digipacks from Art Service! I've got Police Story and Once Upon a Time in China on the way. While a majority of the Fortune Star Blu-rays are upscales, I'm a bit conflicted about this one. I think A Chinese Ghost Story II and III are upscales, but the first movie might actually be a proper transfer. It's not the best, but I feel the level of clarity you get isn't upscale-quality. Plus the PQ goes up down with studio scenes looking better than stuff shot in location.

7SaI9Z9.jpg

nrPxggy.jpg

MIDJXLL.jpg
e0sf8aZ.jpg

auWkKRY.jpg

x6lEs6J.jpg

PK4S2eP.jpg

OqSRExB.jpg

0kOIZLV.jpg

s869bZT.jpg

TVP3zTz.jpg
cUwgtml.jpg

zkl2pPq.jpg

bWEg5M4.jpg

E8cu6QD.jpg

Dgc8Hgt.jpg

Z4Fmhor.jpg

Tq3TveR.jpg

8uNlSex.jpg

r7SUItS.jpg

LZGmqN3.jpg

ammuiYZ.jpg

lfvSQvp.jpg

hLDjaN8.jpg

chQgn2j.jpg

PRPmo3G.jpg

A1uAVeL.jpg

Couldn't decide to buy this one or not since i loved these movies from my childhood (yeah i did watch some strange movies when i was 9).
Resisted uptil now but all these pictures are an invitation to sin...

Reactions: Futurhythm
Couldn't decide to buy this one or not since i loved these movies from my childhood (yeah i did watch some strange movies when i was 9).
Resisted uptil now but all these pictures are an invitation to sin...
Well, it's completely sold out as far as I know. So I guess that makes your decision easier. (You could still wait for it to pop up on eBay)

The first one is a classic, the next two, meh...
Mr. Vampire is an awesome movie, but I'd say both moives are unique with different story lines
Leslie Cheung, Wu Ma, and Joey Wong did briliant acting performances
Also brilliant directly by Ching Siu-Tung
This digipack is wonderful... wow
Easy pass for me though due to costs, I'm still content with my HKL version until I see a valid HD transfer

OT : why digipak's are hidden in here ... there should be link in the frontpage of the forum like steelbooks etc ...

Reactions: dirtyoak
Posting this here since I've read that it's allowed now.

I've been trying to find this for over a year now and will assassinate the person of your choice if you can lead me to a copy. Children are fair game.

Posting this here since I've read that it's allowed now.

I've been trying to find this for over a year now and will assassinate the person of your choice if you can lead me to a copy. Children are fair game.
I hope you find one. The problem with non-Steelbook South Korean releases is that they pretty much disappear off the face of the earth when they go out of print. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll fine one at a reasonable price now - I found this after taking a quick look on eBay :(

• Helpful Post
Reactions: adarkcorner
I hope you find one. The problem with non-Steelbook South Korean releases is that they pretty much disappear off the face of the earth when they go out of print. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll fine one at a reasonable price now - I found this after taking a quick look on eBay :(

Believe me, I know. Back when A Chinese Ghost Story was released, I was just beginning to seriously collect this kind of stuff (steelbooks, digipacks, etc.), and I was buying so many things at once that I had to put a few of these early Kimchi / Fortune Star releases on the backburner, thinking I could snatch them at a higher price off of Ebay down the road. I didn't know then that, like you said, they pretty much completely disappear almost immediately after they sell out. It's really weird, frankly.

And that Ebay sale you linked: I've been checking Ebay literally every day for well over a year for this particular release, but there was one week when I was completely off the grid (no choice in the matter)--and guess what week that was? Yep, when I got back and checked closed Ebay listings, there it was. And believe it or not, I would have paid that insane price. This one item is my personal Holy Grail.

But thanks for the info anyway, very helpful of you!

Last edited: