A Monster Calls - In theaters January 6, 2017

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: A Monster Calls (2016)

Genre: [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Juan Antonio Bayona[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Felicity Jones[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Liam Neeson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Toby Kebbell[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sigourney Weaver[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Geraldine Chaplin[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2016-10-14[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: A boy attempts to deal with his mother's illness and the bullying of his classmates by escaping to a fantastical world.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
qylkqtaLlahR0xljCTS1Efne6Qm.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Last edited:
A Monster Calls is opening in limited theaters on December 23 before expanding wide on January 6, 2017. Title updated :thumbs:

I also cried a little.

Hard not to with a film like this. With the performances and subject matter its almost impossible to not get missy eyed.

What did you think about the ending?
I'm assuming that him opening up the art book his mother did with the drawings of all the stories means that his mother had told them all to him?
The part that confuses me is that when he is told the stories by the monster in the film, he acts as if he had never heard them before and didn't know the outcome.
Could it be that he was told them when he was younger, and didn't remember... but his subconscious did?

Also another thing that was confusing and maybe i'm thinking too much into it... but 12:07 is the time of his mothers death. It is also the time that the monster comes.
Could the scenes with the monster just be him reliving memories in the past and including the monster in them as an excuse for his actions and as a coping meconium?
Why else would the monster come at 12:07? Unless that is just a coincidence (Which is most likely the case).

Thoughts?

• Thanks
Reactions: kbr1656
What did you think about the ending?
I'm assuming that him opening up the art book his mother did with the drawings of all the stories means that his mother had told them all to him?
The part that confuses me is that when he is told the stories by the monster in the film, he acts as if he had never heard them before and didn't know the outcome.
Could it be that he was told them when he was younger, and didn't remember... but his subconscious did?

Also another thing that was confusing and maybe i'm thinking too much into it... but 12:07 is the time of his mothers death. It is also the time that the monster comes.
Could the scenes with the monster just be him reliving memories in the past and including the monster in them as an excuse for his actions and as a coping meconium?
Why else would the monster come at 12:07? Unless that is just a coincidence (Which is most likely the case).

Thoughts?

I think one of two possibilities about the art book:

1. The monster also visited his mother when she was young and told her the same three stories. She had a similar imagination and a similar creative vision, thus, she made similar drawings to what he had imagined.
2. Her father, simply doing a voice to pretend to be the monster, told her the three stories when she was young. Did you notice in the photos of her and her father that Liam Neeson (the monster) was playing the father in the photographs? I'll take that a step further, maybe she went through the same intense grief when her father died and was visited by the monster, and it had her father's voice as a manifestation of her feelings about him dying.

With both of those possibilities, it makes sense that she also saw the monster on her death bed and they acknowledged each other.

I just think that the monster always came at 12:07 because it was destined that his mother would die at 12:07.

By the way, when I said, 'I cried a little,' I was lying. I wept like a child. Haha.

Reactions: kaw
I think one of two possibilities about the art book:

1. The monster also visited his mother when she was young and told her the same three stories. She had a similar imagination and a similar creative vision, thus, she made similar drawings to what he had imagined.
2. Her father, simply doing a voice to pretend to be the monster, told her the three stories when she was young. Did you notice in the photos of her and her father that Liam Neeson (the monster) was playing the father in the photographs? I'll take that a step further, maybe she went through the same intense grief when her father died and was visited by the monster, and it had her father's voice as a manifestation of her feelings about him dying.

With both of those possibilities, it makes sense that she also saw the monster on her death bed and they acknowledged each other.

I just think that the monster always came at 12:07 because it was destined that his mother would die at 12:07.

By the way, when I said, 'I cried a little,' I was lying. I wept like a child. Haha.

I think you might be right.
I like the idea of the monster visiting her when she was young when she lost her father. Telling her the same stories.
It explains why her son didn't know them. AND why there was a little girl sitting on the painting of the Monster in the book.

it's kind of funny actually, around the entire theater you could hear the sniffles of everybody crying, I actually started to laugh because of that (not out loud, but just to myself).

• Thanks
Reactions: kbr1656