A Most Wanted Man (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Plain Archive Exclusive No.19) [Korea]

What's your favorite type?

• Type A (Illust by Jonathan Burton)

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Type B (Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Type C (Lenticular)

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: 29th August 2018
Purchase link:
Type A full slip (900); Type B full slip (900); Type C lenti (900); Box Set Triple Pack (); 1/4 Slip (300) (Pre-order July 10 at 4 PM South Korea time, GMT +9) - Find your local timing HERE
Price: Type A ($38.49); Type B ($38.49); Type C ($38.49); Box Set ($110.99); 1/4 Slip ($36.69)

Da1i34yU8AAQh0m.jpg

Type A (Illust by Jonathan Burton) | Type B (Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman) | Type C (Lenticular)
Da1jI93U8AA6Wtl.jpgtype_b_AMWM.jpgDa1jSxYUQAIpC8b.jpg

image.jpeg

Old Type B artwork
Da1jJf1VQAAGns8.jpg

Detail of the steelbook artwork
AMWM_Steelbook_Details.jpg

Based on John le Carré's book, <The American> director Anton Corbijn released <A Most Wanted Man> in 2014 starring the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. This is one of several Steelbooks we'll be releasing in 2016. Release date: Q1 2016. More details coming soon. Anthony Petrie is a renowned illustrator and we're glad to be working with him on the Steelbook artwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
If these are indeed slips for the Steelbook then, for me, it has to be Type B, since it perfectly matches the style of the Steelbook artwork.

Personally, I would have preferred non 'Mondo-esque' artwork for the Steelbook but since that is what we have, the artwork for the slip needs to be similar in style, otherwise it will clash.

Artwork A is lazy and has little merit. It also doesn't go with the artwork of the Steelbook.

In any event, as an admirer of both the film and the literary works of John le Carre, I'm really looking forward to adding this to my collection. If only someone could release a Steelbook of "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" (1965), the greatest of the le Carre screen adaptations.

Artwork A is lazy and has little merit
PA aimed for something similar what FA did with their Paul Walker Edition for FF7 which they acknowledge by commenting on the artwork of A with "Rest in Peace. Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman July 23, 1967 – February 2, 2014". I don't think "lazy" is the right word here therefore as this artwork is not meant to fit 100% with the steelbook design itself (B does that). :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RekLess
Really wish I liked the film more, because the Steelbook itself and those slips (especially Type B) look great!

I am pretty sure those are just regular slipboxes and are not a part of this release.
At least one of them will be the full slip for the steelbook (Korean is hard to translate, but I believe the Facebook comment does say 'steelbook' in reference to the slips). It's possible that Plain might use one of them to do an amaray version, but at least one of these will go with the steelbook. (Final approval of the slips is still pending.)

Reactions: snooloui
PA aimed for something similar what FA did with their Paul Walker Edition for FF7 which they acknowledge by commenting on the artwork of A with "Rest in Peace. Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman July 23, 1967 – February 2, 2014". I don't think "lazy" is the right word here therefore as this artwork is not meant to fit 100% with the steelbook design itself (B does that). :)

I'm aware that the artwork is in memoriam Philip Seymour Hoffman, and PA is to be applauded for that. The reason I used the term 'lazy' is because the image is rather bland. Having seen the movie four times, I know that there are better and more artistic images available which could have been used, and which would have been more suitable for memorialising the actor. There was certainly no intention on my part to disparage PA's intentions. I just feel that they could have done better.

Reactions: SteelCollz