Advice for new setup

Sep 12, 2012
UK
I just want to make it crystal clear right now that I seriously don't have a clue when it comes to audio and the best brands, equipment etc.

Right now I'm getting by just listening to movies, games and whatever else through my crappy TV speakers. I have a pair of Sennheiser 515s (bought them years ago) and that's pretty much the extent of my 'setup. So... it's pretty nonexistent.

But I'm going to have a little extra money (emphasis on 'little') soon and I've decided to treat myself and get a nice, *basic* theater system... emphasis on 'basic', too.

Up until today I had been looking at getting a soundbar and had my eye on the LG NB4530a, which is probably going to be the most wallet-friendly solution. However, I've just now ventured into the world of amps, receivers, speakers and what not -- and I'm totally in over my head.

I always do lots of research before buying stuff like this, but I really need some advice or a helping hand here.

I'll finish this off with the following info. My needs are basic. As I said, I'm no audiophile, just an enthusiast, I guess. I have no clue about treble, highs and lows and frequency and what-not. So I don't need top-end stuff (which I won't on my budget, anyway).

All I'll be using this new setup for is listening to movies (moreso than anything else) and maybe a gaming session here and there if it's an engrossing single player game. Music not so much. Really just movies.

The room in which it will be set up is small. Can't give you figures off the top of my head, but I need the most space-efficient solution possible. None of that wire routing stuff, if possible. Fancy surround sound isn't needed.

Finally, my budget is a modest £400, maybe a push to £500 as my birthday is coming up. I know this won't get me top-of-the-line stuff, but I'm hoping it's enough to give me a nice entry level setup for my purposes.

Sorry for the essay, I'll wrap it up now. Thanks for any help you guys can give. :drool:

First things first ... get a receiver that can decode the HD codecs that are on blu-ray discs. Its crazy how many people just experience the visual pq of blu-ray and not the aq as well. In real life im the only person I know who has had a receiver that can decode such.

You can get a receiver that does this now for relatively cheap ... obviously the more you spend (typically) the better quality you can get.

But you can get a receiver that does such anywhere from $250+ (Thats USA $$ - so less perhaps for GBP)

If need be take it piece by piece man .... Receiver .... fronts and center ..... sub ... rears etc.