Alex Ross Universal Classic Monster (Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

jaws finatic

Premium Supporter
Mar 6, 2013
Downeast Maine
Release date: September 12th, 2017
Buy links: $19.99 each
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=alex+ross+steelbook

Frankenstein
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Wolf Man
The Invisible Man
Dracula
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Mummy

Apologies if this is the wrong spot for this. I'm just pumped about it!!!

m1.jpg
creature.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg
m5.jpg

m6.jpg
m7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no intention of buying these today but then I saw them in person and it was.....love at first sight and fright. Add the clear slips and 14.99 is a very reasonable price. What's not reasonable is my girlfriend's reaction to my spending 100 plus smackers on black and white steelbooks. I have red hand marks on both my cheeks.:(:pain:

Yeah, the more I see this whole set, the more I want to get them. And they're classic movies that's I've never actually seen so I'd love to pick them up.

I grabbed 2 as I had a $35 reward coupon almost wish I had grabbed a third as I had to get above $35 and they were $14.99 but I grabbed the Salt POP art steelbook instead. I love the looks of them and they come with a digital copy which always sells me on movies. I had the old legacy collection of dvds for Frankenstein, Dracula and the Wolfman so I went with the Creature from the Black Lagoon and Invisible Man. Regretting now getting the mummy as I have the Brendan Frasier trilogy mummy steelbook and the Tom Cruise one would have rounded out the collection.

I've noticed that as I get older I'm much more receptive to the "classics" they have their own charm about them. And also to know that all the movies ever since fed off these for inspiration and or to pay homage is something I respect and then makes finding little nuggets all the more enjoyable.

These steels are fun to play with too. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
I've noticed that as I get older I'm much more receptive to the "classics" they have their own charm about them. And also to know that all the movies ever since fed off these for inspiration and or to pay homage is something I respect and then makes finding little nuggets all the more enjoyable.

These steels are fun to play with too. ;)

I've always loved old horror movies. I grew up on them and stuff like King Kong from the 30's. To me they are better than most modern horror movies. And the digital copies with these makes me wanna grab them all so I can watch them all even though I have most of them in the legacy collections. I do admit though my fav horror movies are through the 70s-90's with the original IT, Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street.

USA Best Buy exclusives best editions because of the clear plastic slipcovers
USA Best Buy Unboxing from Youtube
Not my video :D

Zavvi Exclusive Steelbooks have a jcard but don't include clear plastic slipcovers
Not my Video

Reactions: digitalbabe
I've always loved old horror movies. I grew up on them and stuff like King Kong from the 30's. To me they are better than most modern horror movies. And the digital copies with these makes me wanna grab them all so I can watch them all even though I have most of them in the legacy collections. I do admit though my fav horror movies are through the 70s-90's with the original IT, Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street.

I also grew up watching the Universal Horror films on BBC 2 on a Saturday night back in the 70's and repeated showings back in the 80's
A double bill every Saturday night Universal Horror/Hammer Films/Amicus Films

My primary school back in the 70's on Fridays we had a choice to stay in class and study or watch films in the School Cinema that was a hard choice to make :LOL:
Price of cinema ticket was 20 pence :rofl:
Every Friday was Cinema day a double bill of films and they used to show a lot of the Universal Horror Films and Hammer Films including recent film releases and classic comedy films

The School Cinema was open to the general public on the Saturday's I would often go back for repeat viewings of a Film I saw on the Friday

Universal Horror Films has been responsible for most of the later horror films we got from other film studios and influenced lot of the later horror film directors we had in the 60's70's/80's

Reactions: digitalbabe
@apsmith21
Repeat of what I posted in a different thread ;)

Any chance of doing a GB for these best buy exclusives reason is the clear slipcovers as they are exclusive to best buy

John Landis mentioned in an interview that he thinks Creature From The Black Lagoon is the best 3D film ever made. Very cool that this steelbook includes the 3D version.
I would agree on that also it's even better I might be bold to say than Avatar the 3D effect

What makes it even more significant is that this was a 1954 film and when they was messing around with 3D films in the period 1952-1954
Creatures of the black lagoon they got it bang on the 3D effect while others at the time was average to poor

If all the other films between 1952-1954 have had the same excellent 3D effects of creatures 3D would have been a success and continued to be a success beyond 1954.
It was one of the last films of that period but to late to make 3D a success

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95 and dfoles
I would agree on that also it's even better I might be bold to say than Avatar the 3D effect

What makes it even more significant is that this was a 1954 film and when they was messing around with 3D films in the period 1952-1954
Creatures of the black lagoon they got it bang on the 3D effect while others at the time was average to poor

If all the other films between 1952-1954 have had the same excellent 3D effects of creatures 3D would have been a success and continued to be a success beyond 1954.
It was one of the last films of that period but to late to make 3D a success

Didn't even know there was a 3D version, and the fact that it's OG is even cooler!