Aliens 30th Anniversary (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: October 10th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live at 12 PM UK time, on Saturday July 23, 2016)
Price: £15.99

aliens3.jpg

aliens2.jpg
aliens1.jpg
aliens 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Received my copy today and got to say that I prefer the newer one to the original probably more because of the treatment of the elaborate and weird design on the front than for any other reason . . . although another reason may be for the 30th Anniversary extras seen here below which are on this edition and not on the previous steelbook.
Of course it's quite possible that the disc content is exactly the same in both steelbooks (?):-
upload_2016-10-7_17-3-37.png

Certainly an offbeat design and the same design used on other 30th Anniversary packages:-
158922_large.jpg

. . . and now waiting to see if they'll re-issue the other steelbooks in the series with similar style front artwork with maybe the original ALIEN front cover looking like the 35th Anniversary Edition etc.:-
upload_2016-10-7_17-11-17.jpeg

Comparing the steelbooks (front cover artwork only):
- Background Colour: New is less blue more black with a green halo around the artwork / old is midnight blue with a paler blue halo around the artwork.
- Finish: Both matte.
- 'Bossing: No and no.
- Spot gloss: Alien and gun treated in such a way on the new steel as to make them stand out against the dark background and whilst not necessarily spot gloss it does the job well / the old does not have spot gloss on the front design, only around each of the letters of the title across the centre of the steelbook.

-

Received my copy today and got to say that I prefer the newer one to the original probably more because of the treatment of the elaborate and weird design on the front than for any other reason . . . although another reason may be for the 30th Anniversary extras seen here below which are on this edition and not on the previous steelbook.
Of course it's quite possible that the disc content is exactly the same in both steelbooks (?):-
View attachment 269827
Certainly an offbeat design and the same design used on other 30th Anniversary packages:-
158922_large.jpg

. . . and now waiting to see if they'll re-issue the other steelbooks in the series with similar style front artwork with maybe the original ALIEN front cover looking like the 35th Anniversary Edition etc.:-
View attachment 269830

Comparing the steelbooks (front cover artwork only):
- Background Colour: New is less blue more black with a green halo around the artwork / old is midnight blue with a paler blue halo around the artwork.
- Finish: Both matte.
- 'Bossing: No and no.
- Spot gloss: Alien and gun treated in such a way on the new steel as to make them stand out against the dark background and whilst not necessarily spot gloss it does the job well / the old does not have spot gloss on the front design, only around each of the letters of the title across the centre of the steelbook.

-
New Steelbook the Blu-ray disc is the same disc that in the previous steelbook
The new extra is a code to stream on foxextras online
Code can only be used 10 times and has a expire date

Cards look cool but can't justify spending that much on the same disc just for the cards. Don't mind the new steel art but seeing them together i prefer the older one I have. Maybe on a price drop but it would have to be under £10

I didn't expect this disc to be any different to previous ones, steelbook or not. I don't know, I suppose I feel if you're going to make a big deal of the 30th anniversary you could do a bit more than an ok steelbook and a code to stream some online content.

I much prefer my Aliens cookie jar...

alienscj2.jpg

Cards look cool but can't justify spending that much on the same disc just for the cards. Don't mind the new steel art but seeing them together i prefer the older one I have. Maybe on a price drop but it would have to be under £10

The truth is 15 quid for this Steelbook with the art cards makes this the cheapest amongst them all unless you want to shell out $40-$45 to import one from Asia.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo
The truth is 15 quid for this Steelbook with the art cards makes this the cheapest amongst them all unless you want to shell out $40-$45 to import one from Asia.

I'm in no rush and not that bothered about owning it. But if it stays in stock and drops below £10 I'll consider it

They are both average steels to be honest. The finish on the original is dull. Haven't opened the re-release but I doubt it be much better. But so far the best releases we have for this movie as there are some very awful ones from DE.