Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Released: May 15th, 2017
Purchase: Artificial Eye - Discshop.fi - Amazon UK
Price: £99.99 - €150.00 - £89.99

For the first time ever on Blu-ray in the UK, all seven of Tarkovsky's masterpieces presented together in one set. Individually numbered and limited to 1,000 units.

Pakshot_Collage_1491484866.jpg

• Andrei Tarkovsky’s metaphysical dream zone: Selected scene commentary for all seven films by psychoanalyst Mary Wild

• 177-page book

• Ivan’s Childhood: Interviews with composer Vyaaheslav Ovchinnikov, cinematographer Vadim Usov and actor Evgeniy Zharikov

• Andrei Rublev: Making-of featurette; interview with actor Yuriy Nazarov

• Mirror: Interviews with screenwriter A. Misharin, composer Eduard Artemev and actor Oleg Yankovskiy; featurette

• Solaris: Interview with actor Natalia Bondarchuk; Donatas Banionis featurette

• Stalker: Interviews with cinematographer Aleksandr Knyazhinsky and set designer Rashit Safiullin

• Nostalgia: Interviews with co-writer Tonino Guerra and Marina Tarkovsky

• The Sacrifice: Video essay ‘Poetic Harmony’; audio commentary with author and translator Layla Alexander-Garrett and James King from Curzon Artificial Eye

FILMS:
Ivan's Childhood
Andrei Rublev
Mirror
Solaris
Stalker
Nostalgia
The Sacrifice

Read more at http://www.curzonartificialeye.com/andrei-tarkovsky-deluxe-collection#UuZh2CttGxWQrsKm.99

View attachment 304356

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting video, there's definatly a lot to think about after watching a Tarkovsky film! This looks like a nice set. I already have most of the individual releases so will pass on this though.
It'll be great fun to revisit these in hidef. All of his films I have only seen on standard def previously.
And, to be sure, Tarkovsky's images and his atmosphere (so critical to his films) will probably make me enjoy and appreciate these films even more.
It is a shame that some of the transfers are not up to snuff. Criterion's Stalker will probably be the panacea for that film, but someone needs to correct the transfer for Nostalghia. (@dan8885 mentioned that those were the two that had the subpar transfers).
It would be nice to have them in a boxed set - but that's the way it goes.
(Although, disc swapping for 2 movies isn't a bad option)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and Sigill
It'll be great fun to revisit these in hidef. All of his films I have only seen on standard def previously.
And, to be sure, Tarkovsky's images and his atmosphere (so critical to his films) will probably make me enjoy and appreciate these films even more.
It is a shame that some of the transfers are not up to snuff. Criterion's Stalker will probably be the panacea for that film, but someone needs to correct the transfer for Nostalgia. (@dan8885 mentioned that those were the two that had the subpar transfers).
It would be nice to have them in a boxed set - but that's the way it goes.
(Although, disc swapping for 2 movies isn't a bad option)
Yep a couple of the transfers are supposed to be poor. I believe Stalkers the worst but I picked it up anyway as I'm sure the Criterion will be region locked. I haven't seen a few of them in HD either, I'm most looking forward to seeing Solaris! Tarkovsky's visuals are usually spectacular so they should look even better in Hi-Def!:)

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and elle82
Yep a couple of the transfers are supposed to be poor. I believe Stalkers the worst but I picked it up anyway as I'm sure the Criterion will be region locked. I haven't seen a few of them in HD either, I'm most looking forward to seeing Solaris! Tarkovsky's visuals are usually spectacular so they should look even better in Hi-Def!:)
Since AE is a British company, shouldn't there be a UK seller in the OP instead of a Finnish(!) shop?!!
I'm not sure I want to pay more for importing an import of an import!:rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
@dan8885 who's blu ray release is that third still?

First still is the AE DVD, second the AE BD (included in this set) and the third still is the mosfilm remaster Criterion got for their release. And I think Criterion own also now the rights for the U.K. so their Stalker will probably also get a U.K. release.

Btw, mosfilm got their own YouTube channel and the Stalker remaster is up there. And I think other Tarkovskys too. But I think without subtitles (I'm on the phone, can't check atm) here it is:

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and Sigill
I'll more than likely pick this up if the price isn't too bad, which it probably will be... as I mentioned before, I've never seen any of Tarkovsky's work, so obviously don't want to spend too much on a blind buy. The films look stunning from what of you guys have shared in here though!

Here's what the set looks like when it's closed by the way...

C8lRpWvXYAIPflh.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and Sigill
From Artificial Eye Facebook page

Ladies and gentlemen, the wait is nearly over!

From 12noon on Wednesday 26 April, you can pre-order the Andrei Tarkovsky Deluxe Collection. Released on 15 May, the Blu-ray box sets are individually numbered and strictly limited to 1,000 units.

Find out more by visiting http://curzon.co/TarkovskyDeluxeCollection and watch this space for details on where to order the box set tomorrow!

#AndreiTarkovsky #Tarkovsky

Hmm thinking I might skip this now that Criterion have announced UK releases for both Solaris and Stalker (which apparently has the better transfer), and possibly have even more to come... I'm sure it'll also be the cheaper option, especially with the regular 2 for £25 deals.

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and C.C. 95
Hmm thinking I might skip this now that Criterion have announced UK releases for both Solaris and Stalker (which apparently has the better transfer), and possibly have even more to come... I'm sure it'll also be the cheaper option, especially with the regular 2 for £25 deals.
It's a REALLY nice presentation, though. That box looks nice.
I MAY get it and just swap out STALKER and NOSTALGHIA.
(This particular swap would not bother me since I don't like Criterion's STALKER cover at all.:yuck:)

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and Noodles
It's a REALLY nice presentation, though. That box looks nice.
I MAY get it and just swap out STALKER and NOSTALGHIA.
(This particular swap would not bother me since I don't like Criterion's STALKER cover at all.:yuck:)
Hmm true... my final decision will probably come down to the price, and with it being limited to only 1000, I imagine it'll be pretty pricey! Bear in mind this would also be a blind-buy for me, so I have that to consider too when splashing out money on it. As far as artwork goes, AE win over Criterion by a country mile... those slips @dan8885 shared on the previous page are stunning! Knowing me I'll probably decide at the very last second whether to get it or not though, as I usually do. :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and dan8885
From Artificial Eye Facebook page

Ladies and gentlemen, the wait is nearly over!

From 12noon on Wednesday 26 April, you can pre-order the Andrei Tarkovsky Deluxe Collection. Released on 15 May, the Blu-ray box sets are individually numbered and strictly limited to 1,000 units.

Find out more by visiting http://curzon.co/TarkovskyDeluxeCollection and watch this space for details on where to order the box set tomorrow!

#AndreiTarkovsky #Tarkovsky
12 noon. Which time zone?

• Thanks
Reactions: elle82
For those not in the UK... depending on availability, the set will be available to buy through Amazon UK from May 10th.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dan8885
Thanks @Noodles for the tag!

The Boxset looks really nice but to sum it up: I remember the individual releases where 8-9 GBP in the pre-order. So the movies itself are worth 56 GBP, missing the Slipcovers, and they're are just reissues now. And I don't want to know how much they cost in CeX today. Especially the ones with the messed up remaster. The included booklet here is all booklets from the individual releases just in one. No extra pages exclusive to this set. So you pay 40 GBP for the box (n) No thank you AE.

I'll get Stalker from Criterion. Their mosfilm remaster is what it's worth to spend the money on. This is a movie from 1978. Audio and Video is more important than packaging.

And mosfilm and Tarkovsky go deep:

"The first screenplay of Stalker was closer to the novel and the film had a curious history. Half of it was already shot in fact when the exposed film was destroyed in the "Mosfilm" lab. Nobody would have allowed me to shot the film again had it not been the fault of a "Mosfilm" technician. One cannot repeat the same thing for the second time, that would have been beyond my stamina. Thus together with the authors we returned to our work on the screenplay...

In this case some kind of law of equilibrium must have been at work, perhaps the "Mosfilm" disaster was not accidental. It was as if fate intervened in the sense the accident occurred precisely at the instant the film could have become insufficiently deep."
Andrei Tarkovsky on Stalker