Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Released: May 15th, 2017
Purchase: Artificial Eye - Discshop.fi - Amazon UK
Price: £99.99 - €150.00 - £89.99

For the first time ever on Blu-ray in the UK, all seven of Tarkovsky's masterpieces presented together in one set. Individually numbered and limited to 1,000 units.

Pakshot_Collage_1491484866.jpg

• Andrei Tarkovsky’s metaphysical dream zone: Selected scene commentary for all seven films by psychoanalyst Mary Wild

• 177-page book

• Ivan’s Childhood: Interviews with composer Vyaaheslav Ovchinnikov, cinematographer Vadim Usov and actor Evgeniy Zharikov

• Andrei Rublev: Making-of featurette; interview with actor Yuriy Nazarov

• Mirror: Interviews with screenwriter A. Misharin, composer Eduard Artemev and actor Oleg Yankovskiy; featurette

• Solaris: Interview with actor Natalia Bondarchuk; Donatas Banionis featurette

• Stalker: Interviews with cinematographer Aleksandr Knyazhinsky and set designer Rashit Safiullin

• Nostalgia: Interviews with co-writer Tonino Guerra and Marina Tarkovsky

• The Sacrifice: Video essay ‘Poetic Harmony’; audio commentary with author and translator Layla Alexander-Garrett and James King from Curzon Artificial Eye

FILMS:
Ivan's Childhood
Andrei Rublev
Mirror
Solaris
Stalker
Nostalgia
The Sacrifice

Read more at http://www.curzonartificialeye.com/andrei-tarkovsky-deluxe-collection#UuZh2CttGxWQrsKm.99

View attachment 304356

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Noodles for the tag!

The Boxset looks really nice but to sum it up: I remember the individual releases where 8-9 GBP in the pre-order. So the movies itself are worth 56 GBP, missing the Slipcovers, and they're are just reissues now. And I don't want to know how much they cost in CeX today. Especially the ones with the messed up remaster. The included booklet here is all booklets from the individual releases just in one. No extra pages exclusive to this set. So you pay 40 GBP for the box (n) No thank you AE.

I'll get Stalker from Criterion. Their mosfilm remaster is what it's worth to spend the money on. This is a movie from 1978. Audio and Video is more important than packaging.

And mosfilm and Tarkovsky go deep:

"The first screenplay of Stalker was closer to the novel and the film had a curious history. Half of it was already shot in fact when the exposed film was destroyed in the "Mosfilm" lab. Nobody would have allowed me to shot the film again had it not been the fault of a "Mosfilm" technician. One cannot repeat the same thing for the second time, that would have been beyond my stamina. Thus together with the authors we returned to our work on the screenplay...

In this case some kind of law of equilibrium must have been at work, perhaps the "Mosfilm" disaster was not accidental. It was as if fate intervened in the sense the accident occurred precisely at the instant the film could have become insufficiently deep."
Andrei Tarkovsky on Stalker
Damn, it's definitely overpriced for what it is then. And honestly, the box set design isn't anything special IMO... I'd rather just have the slipcases. I'm sticking to my guns anyway and will pick up the Criterion releases.

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Many thanks for the tag, @Noodles! But I'm passing on this. @dan8885 hit the nail on the head concerning the absurd price difference between purchasing the films separately and purchasing the box. If the design of the overall set had been incredible, I might have bitten anyway; but with the exception of the outside of the box, I don't care for any of the art or design, really. The individual covers look like someone went completely berserk with layer transparency in Photoshop, and the inside of the box is visual chaos. Tarkovsky's compositional style is elegantly stark and uncluttered, so the only part of this package that even remotely complements his style is the outside of the box.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and dan8885
Thanks for the tag @Noodles!:) I'm going to pass on this. I already have most of the releases I want with the slipcovers. As @dan8885 said I placed pre-orders for them straight away so managed to get them for under £9. They are charging an awful lot just for the box, if the book is just the individual booklets added together then that is even worse. I think this should have been around £60-70.

Thanks for the tag @Noodles!:) I'm going to pass on this. I already have most of the releases I want with the slipcovers. As @dan8885 said I placed pre-orders for them straight away so managed to get them for under £9. They are charging an awful lot just for the box, if the book is just the individual booklets added together then that is even worse. I think this should have been around £60-70.

Yeah as I said before the price is way too high. IF it was made of wood maybe 90, but as it stands about 60 is what I'd pay for it.

• Thanks
Reactions: elle82 and Sigill
Tagging everyone who posted in this thread just in case you're interested. ;)

@C.C. 95 @Sigill @dan8885 @elle82 @DarkChild @GI_SnakeEyes @adarkcorner @garabe @digitalbabe
Thanks for the tag @Noodles. :thumbs:
I will wait since I am in the states. May 10th gives me more time to mull it over - plus the price may come down.
The box isn't a slam dunk, but it is nice. And swapping 2 film discs, (or owning doubles of the two films) isn't a huge deal. But I think the price needs to come down on the box.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I think the DVD set was pretty overpriced at the time. I ended up relenting a few years ago and getting it off Amazon for around £40. I think I'll pick up Solaris and Stalker from Criterion as well. Yet to experience their blu-rays...

Thank you for the tag @Noodles :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Man i wish it were digipacks instead of amarys, i'd order in an instant but 120 Euros without shipping for this is a little too expensive for me :(