Release date: March 20, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £22.99

11369772-2024460982730011.jpg

11369772-1854460982800934.jpg

11369772-1204460982859977.jpg
11369772-1434436648891913.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found Arrival a liitle underwhelming sadly.

Some great performances, but muddled storytelling detracted from the enjoyment for me.

Still, as an intelligent piece of Sci-Fi drama, it made a welcome change from all the shallow bombastic spectacle that a lot of the genre's movies suffer from.

Going to wait and see what kind of releases this gets.

I'll hopefully pick up a premium steelbook edition of this movie. Ahem......FilmArena, I'm looking in your direction! ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus
Read good things about this film and always liked Amy Adams' and Forest Whitaker's style.

If there is to be a steelbook I'd like to see either of these two images on the front - both official posters - IMO best of the other 10 or so similar as in some posters the alien craft does look a bit like a giant over-ripe floating banana...

In this one I'm getting a vibe of the upcoming ID: RESURGENCE steelbook as well as a reference to the Monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey" and even ancient standing stones and even London's The Gherkin (LOL)

Not forgetting all the fuss when they got the original poster wrong and somehow put one of Shanghai's most famous landmarks in the Hong Kong cityscape
http://petapixel.com/2016/08/19/arrival-movie-poster-mocked-embarassing-photoshop-gaff/
posterfix-449x700.jpg
158607_large.jpg

. . . or even the moody one with what looks like The Northern Lights:-

Feeling the need for some Pink Floyd :)

Trivia: regarding the unusual shape of the alien craft - apparently it's a perfect replica of the Norwegian candy 'lakrisbåt' (liquorice boat).

Trivia: regarding the film title - The original name of the film was "Story of Your Life" but test audiences did not like that title so it was changed to "Arrival".
Real reason I suspect is because the dude prefers one word film titles as most of his oeuvre have been - ARRIVAL, SICARIO, PRISONERS, INCENDIES, ENEMY, POLYTECHNIC, COSMOS, MAELSTROM . . .

Funny thing is that I'd not heard s dicky-bird about this film and had the 1996 Charlie Sheen film in mind but of course that one is "THE Arrival":-
3929_large.jpg

. . . and finally:-

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: javiermendoza
I can't wait to see this film so im happy it's getting a steel. Just wish it wasn't with zavvi

Enemy, Prisoners, Sicario...dammit! you're absolutely right.
I need to watch rest of his movies. Looking forward to Arrival. :thumbs:
His earlier stuff like Polytechnique and Incendies are really good too! Hell, I even love the shorts he's done. Dude can do no wrong IMO, and I cannot wait for Blade Runner 2! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and Flloydo
I like the simplicity but only if it's white

Not silver
Same... love the simplicity, but you just know it's going to end up being metallic. :wtf:

I actually started doing a concept a few weeks ago, but I wasn't really liking the outcome. Think I may carry on with it now though, just for the sake of it. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Read good things about this film and always liked Amy Adams' and Forest Whitaker's style.
If there is to be a steelbook I'd like to see this image on the front from one of the official posters - IMO best of the other 10 or so similar as in some posters it does look a bit like a giant over-ripe floating banana...
In this one I'm getting a vibe of the upcoming ID: RESURGENCE steelbook as well as a reference to the Monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey" and even ancient standing stones (LOL).:-
158607_large.jpg

Feeling the need for some Pink Floyd :)

Removed all the text minus the title, I think the alien object itself makes enough of a statement. I'm not crazy about the back, but there's really not many posters or artwork for this movie. @Noodles what does your concept look like?

fSo32R9.jpg

Removed all the text minus the title, I think the alien object itself makes enough of a statement. I'm not crazy about the back, but there's really not many posters or artwork for this movie. @Noodles what does your concept look like?

fSo32R9.jpg
I love both poster images you chose, especially the front... very striking! Mine's not as good, because I was very lazy with it and couldn't be bothered to edit out all the text on the decent posters that are out there, so I just used an existing one I found that I had to squash on to my template. I'll post it here once it's done... I'm not really in the mood to play around on Photoshop tonight though. :p

Saw the movie last night and it was great. 5/5. Best movie i've seen all year. Its not a typical Alien movie. Its slower paced and more of a drama, but its mind blowing. Happy to see this as the art. Can't wait to pre-order.

Same... love the simplicity, but you just know it's going to end up being metallic. :wtf:

I actually started doing a concept a few weeks ago, but I wasn't really liking the outcome. Think I may carry on with it now though, just for the sake of it. :p

I really hope it's not metalic. Reminds me a little of ex MACHINA and if the black stuff is embossed, glossy and white too then it could be nice in hand.

But it's hit and miss with paramount in finish.

Although I like some of their silver steels by paramount there is a bit of a mixture like hansel and Gretel but it has a nice embossed spot gloss title and chatcters, TMNT out the shadows is a silver steel but spot gloss turtles and villains aswel as a debossed title (the first film has a metalic effect on the title and on the back too - again I love that steel anyway) but then world war z is a nice matte white with embossing so who knows

I kinda hope white matte with embossed spot gloss black stuff.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I really hope it's not metalic. Reminds me a little of ex MACHINA and if the black stuff is embossed, glossy and white too then it could be nice in hand.

But it's hit and miss with paramount in finish.

Although I like some of their silver steels by paramount there is a bit of a mixture like hansel and Gretel but it has a nice embossed spot gloss title and chatcters, TMNT out the shadows is a silver steel but spot gloss turtles and villains aswel as a debossed title (the first film has a metalic effect on the title and on the back too - again I love that steel anyway) but then world war z is a nice matte white with embossing so who knows

I kinda hope white matte with embossed spot gloss black stuff.
Is this a Paramount title then? Because like you said... if anyone can actually do a metallic steelbook right, then it's them! Out of all the mainstream studios, they produce some of the best steels IMO. I kind of hope this doesn't receive any 'bossing though... at least not on the black stuff anyway (a debossed title would look ok - if there is one, that is). Either full gloss or spot gloss would do me just fine. :D