Purchase link: Avatar 3D
Price: £21.99
Notes: Matte Finish. Limited to 3000 Copies
2 disc edition; 2D & 3D on 1 Blu-ray & DVD

av.jpg

av3.jpg av2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a Zavvi exclusive. Both are to blame. Nice try though :thumbs:

Fox probably would have released these anyway. They have released over fifty Steelbooks and twenty Futurepaks in the UK so far this year, the majority of them being tradewide. I think Fox are intent on squeezing every penny they can out of collectible metal packaging.

Fox probably would have released these anyway. They have released over fifty Steelbooks and twenty Futurepaks in the UK so far this year, the majority of them being tradewide. I think Fox are intent on squeezing every penny they can out of collectible metal packaging.

Im sure they would have, but no one forced Zavvi to jump on board and secure exclusive rights to an old, overpriced, retread.

Its a Zavvi exclusive. Both are to blame. Nice try though :thumbs:
It is a Fox release its them who decided to do these re releases not Zavvi
They offered Zavvi the exclusive and Zavvi accepted
Lot of people keep forgetting Zavvi don't make any steelbooks and have not done so to date

A film Studio decides what they release even if approached buy any retailer for a suggestion

In this case it was Fox alone who decided to do these re releases if Zavvi had said no to an exclusive it would of been available on general release

The Dealer price is decided by the Film Studio and the retailer adds there mark up to create the retail price

Fox have made a mistake with the dealer price for these releases its to high for a re release back catalogue titles

If these were £14.99 all the re releases would sell out
The dealer price should have been £8.50 this would then be £14.99 retail price
Dealer price + mark up + vat

Last edited:
It is a Fox release its them who decided to do these re releases not Zavvi
They offered Zavvi the exclusive and Zavvi accepted
Lot of people keep forgetting Zavvi don't make any steelbooks and have not done so to date

A film Studio decides what they release even if approached buy any retailer for a suggestion

In this case it was Fox alone who decided to do these re releases if Zavvi had said no to an exclusive it would of been available on general release

The Dealer price is decided by the Film Studio and the retailer adds there mark up to create the retail price

"Zavvi Accepted" - There you go. They are equally to blame. I am not sure what your point is.

Reactions: howarmat
Zavvi can easily turn these studios down. They have the right to refuse to sell old releases that nobody wants at inflated prices.

Last edited:
"Zavvi Accepted" - There you go. They are equally to blame. I am not sure what your point is.
If Zavvi has said no then it would still been released to all retailers and the price would have been the same if not even more expensive
I know how this business works I was a main buyer for years with a few big retail shops

Its the dealer price that decides what the retail price will be so its Fox who have overpriced these as end of the day any retailer has to add their mark up or you would not see any shops exist

Zavvi do with some releases end up making a loss
You need to sell more than 50% at full price of your stock to stay in profit and only reduce the price after this at a reducing scale with some been sold at a loss but overall you make a profit or at worse break even
It can be very risky to do exclusives but sometimes its worth it as you can make a good profit and create sales from other products you have as a result of having an exclusive

Zavvi mistake was not getting the dealer price lower if I was still in the business I would have only accepted an exclusive if the dealer price was correct

Last edited:
Zavvi could have passed on this wave. Let the release go to all retailers and they can all share in the loss when they have to sell them at bargain bin pricing in a months time. instead Zavvi is going to eat the lack of sales themselves as these sit on the shelves. Remembers its 3k run not even 2k like some of the others that don't sell for 14.99 even.

Zavvi releases plenty of "exclusives" all year long. First runs too instead of recycled stuff. I wish they could just stick to doing that instead. Sure some of them might not be the greatest choice in movies but atleast they are new steelbooks. These just don't have my interest as well as many on the board. Sure some people who don't own them already will pick them up but im sure its pretty low number

Anyway I just see this as desperate from Fox and Zavvi having no balls to say no.

Reactions: hansgruber
If Zavvi has said no then it would still been released to all retailers and the price would have been the same if not even more expensive
I know how this business works I was a main buyer for years with a few big retail shops

Its the dealer price that decides what the retail price will be so its Fox who have overpriced these as end of the day any retailer has to add their mark up or you would not see any shops exist

Zavvi do with some releases end up making a loss
You need to sell more than 50% at full price of your stock to stay in profit and only reduce the price after this at a reducing scale with some been sold at a loss but overall you make a profit or at worse break even
It can be very risky to do exclusives but sometimes its worth it as you can make a good profit and create sales from other products you have as a result of having an exclusive

Zavvi mistake was not getting the dealer price lower if I was still in the business I would have only accepted an exclusive if the dealer price was correct

Your Google translator is apparently not working anymore. Nobody was arguing dealer prices. Zavvi paying extra money to secure exclusive rights to a steelbook that has already been released along time ago AND is overpriced is insulting to their customers. They are just as much to blame for accepting such a deal as Fox is for offering it.