Base.com - SteelBook retailer thread

Dec 17, 2010
South west england
http://www.base.com

These guys have been reducing the prices on a few popular steelbooks, and a few questions have been asked about the packaging.

I thought it would be prevelant to start a discussion thread.

I received a steelbook from them in a cardboard mailer akin to the old zavvi and amazon mailers, it protected the steelbook although I had to return it anyway due to an issue unrelated to the packaging.

Delivery times and customer service have been very good from what I have experienced, the three orders arriving promptly. (two have been non steelbooks and were sent via next day DPD, all good there).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like people have been lucky so far but this packaging doesn't seem great. Looking at jayhsong's second pic it might be a better idea to order a few from them in one go. I shot them an email a few minutes ago to see what they're like for packaging now.

any of you guys from the US that ordered from them, what do they charge for shipping?

For international delivery Base.com (along with their sister sites Blah.con, 101CD.com & DVD.co.uk) charge P&P according to weight and size so there is no fixed price.

Delivery to Non-UK Destinations

We also deliver to many other Non-UK destinations.

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia And Herzegovina , Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, USA, Vatican City

Deliveries to Non-UK destinations have an additional delivery charge dependant on the item's size and weight. The Non-UK Shipping Charge is displayed at the bottom of the product details page and is shown on the order page when you checkout.

For international delivery Base.com (along with their sister sites Blah.con, 101CD.com & DVD.co.uk) charge P&P according to weight and size so there is no fixed price.

thanks, but that didn't answer my question because it's not true, at least for me. it would not show a shipping charge anywhere i looked. i did fire off an email to base last night and they replied today telling me to hover my mouse over the wording "uk shipping" next to the item price and it would show a popup menu with shipping to my country, which does work, so i got my answer from them.

My copy of Hellboy II arrived in the jiffy bag. Every second opening it was full of fear but thankfully it was in perfect condition. I've ordered from them again but I still don't like jiffy bags for steelbooks!

3 steelbooks I ordered from dvd.co.uk arrived today. Took 10 days to arrive Australia. Like everyone mentioned, just a jiffy bag but 3 steelbooks are in perfect condition. I think I am lucky but I am not gonna take a risk again unless there is no other choice.

Just got a copy of Zombieland from them today and this time it arrived in one of those thin card envelopes. Not sure if that's better or worse than the jiffy bag but again it arrived with no damage whatsoever. Kind of makes you wonder whether it's the retailer, not the packaging that messes up when it comes to steelbook damage.

Received 3 steelbooks from them. All 3 in identical bubble jiffys. 2 from base and 1 from base.ch. all 3 arrived in 3 days and were perfect.

Not sure about the packing but i got lucky!

just wanted to post back that i've gotten both the steelbooks i ordered from them without damage. however, they were packed in just regular cardboard envelope mailers without any padding. plan on placing another order soon.

Got my first spine slashed steelbook through from Base last week, they handled the situation really well and I've already received a replacement. Now someone needs to convince them to stop using bubble mailers.

What are they like for despatching? I ordered a steelbook on Saturday and I know it's only been a few days but most stores despatch within a day or two. It still says pending

depends,if you order from baseCH which is the same company,but they despatch from switzerland :scat: every order i have had from base has taken around 3 days to arrive after despatch,don't sweat it

I ordered the Jaws SB from them. It was shipped via BaseCH and sadly when it got here it looked it had been in someones jaws. Pretty bummed as I've been trying to get this and was hoping it would be mint. On a side note I emailed them about it and they let me keep it and are giving me a refund. It probably would have came in decent condition if they would have put it in a box.

I ordered the Jaws SB from them. It was shipped via BaseCH and sadly when it got here it looked it had been in someones jaws. Pretty bummed as I've been trying to get this and was hoping it would be mint. On a side note I emailed them about it and they let me keep it and are giving me a refund. It probably would have came in decent condition if they would have put it in a box.
Yeah base are 50/50. Basech ship from switzerland i think so it makes it even more of a journey. Sometimes they turn up mint sometimes they turm in like a pancake. Sorry to hear thar :(

I just got the Fast and Furious 6 steel book off them and it has dents at the side of it, doesn't help that they just pack them in jiffy bags so emailed complaining about it. Its even harder returning it as the nearest post office is quite a distance from where i live and medical problems with walking :(.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

They've given me back a full refunded well its better then nothing i guess.

Reactions: ben6212
Received my Rush steelbook in a standard jiffy bag, but fortunately was mint.

Delivery time was good, though - official release date is not until Monday.

Just received my second damaged steelbook in a row from them damaged (Spiderman Trilogy). First time ever from anyone, lucky I know, so have emailed them about their packaging. If they arent gonna change I will probably not use them anymore despite their decent prices.

Reactions: CasuallyDressed
Received my Spiderman Trilogy today in a jiffy bag. What the hell, man?! It's not like it was a short trip, either. Switzerland > UK. How it got here undamaged is a mystery. I think from now on I'll pay the extra couple of quid and get it from Amazon or Zavvi.