BBC Steelbook Poll [Concluded]

Would you purchase these in Steelbooks?

• Documentaries (e.g. Nature, History, etc)

Votes: 95 34.4%
  • TV Series (e.g Doctor Who, Red Dwarf etc)

Votes: 142 51.4%
  • TV Drama (e.g Sherlock, Peaky Blinders, etc)

Votes: 176 63.8%
  • TV Comedies (e.g. Wallace & Grommit, Faulty Towers, etc)

Votes: 124 44.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hello all,

We have been asked to provide an opportunity for community feedback for possible BBC Steelbook releases.

This is an unofficial poll not requested by the studio.

Please vote in the poll and feel free to share constructive criticism and title ideas/suggestions for releases in the thread.

Thanks for sharing your feedback, members!

Attachments

• BBC-Logo.jpg
    BBC-Logo.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 164
I would love to see The Blue Planet and Planet Earth on steelbooks! Blue Planet is what got me into nature documentaries!! Like I said I would buy anything that has David Attenborough on it as he is one of my aspirations and an idol! If they release these two I would die happy!

If not then Hustle would do as I thought that series was good.

Reactions: paulboland
If money was no object and probably we didnt own then, then Doctor Who and maybe Red Dwarf steelbooks but they would be too expensive and most people have them if not multiple copies, even vhs to dvd or bluray

Orphan Black and Doctor Who would be an instant buy for me.

As much as I love Red Dwarf and Black Adder I doubt I would dip again on those unless HD transfers were made available which I doubt will ever happen because as far as I know they were both shot in SD video. However if they could find a way to squeeze the entire series for those shows in SD on to a few or a handful of bluray discs I'd be interested.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: MrBMT and Flash
Orphan Black and Doctor Who would be an instant buy for me.

As much as I love Red Dwarf and Black Adder I doubt I would dip again on those unless HD transfers were made available which I doubt will ever happen because as far as I know they were both shot in SD video. However if they could find a way to squeeze the entire series for those shows in SD on to a few or a handful of bluray discs I'd be interested.

Awesome call on Orphan black, so deserves a steelbook

Would like some of the BBC Films released on Blu, never mind the luxury of a steelbook; ditto the very many great series.

Confining ourselves to Steelbooks, here goes;

Edge of Darkness - the Bob Peck one - not the rubbish that followed!

Truly, Madly, Deeply

Salmon Fishing in The Yemen

The MacGuffin

A Cock and Bull Story

Jute City

Fawlty Towers

Open all Hours

All the David Attenborough Series -

Just a few to be going on with.

Last edited:
Thinking about it I've revised my ideas on this. I would love to see:

Doctor Who.

Torchwood (Especially Children of Earth)

Luther

The Hollow Crown Series (if not the whole series then Henry VI both parts and Henry V)

Life on Mars

Ashes to Ashes.

I'm strongly opposed to having any episodic TV series released in SteelBook form, as it is often a more expensive way to acquire a series thn just buying a box set. My other concern is, a lot of BBC series (Ie, Blackadder, Red Dwarf etc) are limited to half a dozen episodes or so per series, so having individual SteelBooks for these would not only be wasteful (in terms of resources) but also unnecessary. While a set of Red Dwarf SteelBooks on Blu-Ray is an attractive prospect, they would have to be priced accordingly - No more than £12.99 per season, but even then that's pushing it! Blackadder should be an all-in-one and not separate. Likewise, Bottom, The Young Ones, The Thin Blue Line etc should be all inclusive releases if they do surface

I would not want to see Dr Who in SteelBook form. There are already many different SKU's for this series, and SteelBooks would be pushing it. Same goes for Sherlock. Anyone who wants these series will most likely already own them in one form or another, and they are not the kind of thing that collectors like to double-dip on - unlike films

In all honesty, I think most people would just be grateful of Blu-Ray Amaray releases of any BBC series, without resorting to making them SteelBooks just to jump on the bandwagon. The bandwagon is already full enough as it is, and doesn't need yet another company jumping on and weighing it down!

Benny Hill is Distributed by Network (Thames Television (ITV))

BBC had the show 1955-1968 (32 episodes (black & white) DVD USA Warner Home Video Benny Hill: The Lost Years (Only half of the episodes exist)

Thames Television 1969-1989 (58 episodes in colour except ep. 6-8 black & white)
Thames Television DVD distributed in UK from Network

The Benny Hill Series most remember and watched on TV was the UK Thames Television series
UK Thames Television DVD (Network)
USA DVD (A&E)

Its not BBC series we watched on Thames Television so that won't be released as a steelbook from the BBC

Last edited:
Was operation good guys BBC? I'd take that if it was!
Yes its BBC Series
Its only available on DVD though and I doubt it will see a Blu-ray release

A lot of our requests been mentioned so far are at the moment are only available on DVD and some of them are brilliant BBC series productions but not had a Blu-ray release yet
If BBC are willing to do first time Blu-ray releases of some of the requests mentioned they might do well as a steelbook as that would cover customers who want a Blu-ray release and steelbook collectors who want a steelbook

Reactions: Obi Wan Dandobi
Status
Not open for further replies.