Blu-Ray successor announced by Sony and Panasonic

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Techbeat:

Sony and Panasonic have announced that they want to develop an optical disc that can hold at least 300 gigabytes of data by 2015. This is to be a successor to the Blu-ray discs, which can only hold up to 50 GB.

In the past Sony has said that 4K ultra-high-definition films were likely to take up more than 100GB of space. It recently launched a device that allows 4K movies to be streamed over the internet but it is not much use for users who have a slow internet connection or have data-use limits.

Blu-ray disc laser

In their press release, the firms indicate that the primary market for this new technology will be business wishing to copy and preserve their data. It is also likely that there will be a demand within the consumer market for higher capacity discs.

There has been a decline in the sales of disc-based television box set and movie sales, which is thought to be caused by the rise in streaming services like Amazon’s Lovefilm and Netflix. However, last year there were 179 million disc-based videos sold in the UK, according to figures published by the British Film Institute (BFI).

“For the foreseeable future, even with more advances in streaming, there will be a niche for discs,” Russ Crupnick, a media analyst at consultants NPD told the BBC.

“But how large that is going to be is hard to say because it is going to be more about the collector and less about every day usage.”

4K Camcorders

An increase in demand for extra storage is also likely to be generated by the public’s ability to create its own ultra-high-definition footage.

JVC, Sony and Panasonic have all produced prototype camcorders which they say will be aimed at the “prosumer” market.

“The cheapest way to store lots of this material long term is going to be on an optical disc rather than a solid state drive in your laptop or tablet, or on SD cards,” said Paul O’Donovan, digital video expert at the tech advisory firm Gartner.

“And they are more convenient if you want to send the video you shot to somebody.

“Imagine trying to send a 300 gigabyte file over the internet – it would take ages.”

Until we see this new 4K technology, there is an interim solution as Panasonic already make a 100GB Blu-ray disc, but it needs a special player.

interesting, lots of nice and meaty stuff in here. Also more proof that they still arent saying whether or not consumers could buy a video on such format. As I doubt studios would support.

and for what its worth ... blu-ray can support 100gb already with triple layer on one side.

Panasonic's LM-BE100J BDXL Blu-ray discs are a special edition of single-sided discs capable of holding up to 100 gigs

I think these discs are developed for data storage and not for home video.

At the moment your right bud...;)

But sooner or later I can see these becoming available on the consumer market.
With the hard core Home Cinema Guys being the first to jump on this...!!

When my 4K projector arrives I know I will be first in line for this....:p

Last edited:
Reactions: lgans316
Not sure what this really means, but...

I aint' upgrading to whatever new format comes out for 10 years, lol. Eff that... blu-ray just came out in 2008... there pushing new tech too fast... heck, dvd is still alive and well!

Reactions: Darth Andeddu
As long as they keep the same G2 size for casing, I couldn't careless! Seriously, Blu-ray quality is already stunning compared to DVD and we cannot say the same between 4k and BD ;)

the biggest problem is the studios who own the movie rights do not want consumers to have the MASTER in their hand ... its like giving pirates the original film ... it will never happen. And that is the problem because 4k is just that .... this is why you dont see any true 4k movies on disc yet nor any announcements nor any studio support for 4k. All you see is Sony but even then they are not saying its on disc ... they just claim to soon have a "set player" loaded with 8-12 films.

idk ... either they have to just say screw it and put 4k copies in the hands of the public or this format will never take off in disc form ... it certainly wont take off in the USA due to internet speeds here. Japan and UK have atleast a better chance at viewing experience in this regard.

When the internet speeds are up to par .... this format has a huge chance ... cause then it will just be streaming and then its the end of disc format. (blu-ray being last)

Given that you can put 100gig on a tripler layer BD then if they wanted to they could put most everything 4k on blu-ray still ... Some longer movies might just be 2 disc is all and I wonder how many movies would really have to go 2disc? its just they dont want pirates having access to 4k copies. Thats all there is too it .... I'm sure huge debates in hollywood turning ugly over this everyday.

blu-ray isnt going anywhere for a long while ... blu-ray wont become "dvd" but dvd will become "vhs" :p

Last edited:
Bring it on i say cause digital aint nothin but a trojan when in the hands of suits at GlobalMegaTech Inc. - it's already being abused in the videogame space - where "ownership" of digital games only goes as far as the latest firmware update on the newest hardware model, not to mention ever-more draconian measures to outlaw used re-sales & sharing.

If u actually want to own your movies, in the same way u own your car or your TV or your computer - buy Physical Discs 4lyfe :scat:

the biggest problem is the studios who own the movie rights do not want consumers to have the MASTER in their hand ... its like giving pirates the original film ... it will never happen. And that is the problem because 4k is just that .... this is why you dont see any true 4k movies on disc yet nor any announcements nor any studio support for 4k. All you see is Sony but even then they are not saying its on disc ... they just claim to soon have a "set player" loaded with 8-12 films.

idk ... either they have to just say screw it and put 4k copies in the hands of the public or this format will never take off in disc form ... it certainly wont take off in the USA due to internet speeds here. Japan and UK have atleast a better chance at viewing experience in this regard.

When the internet speeds are up to par .... this format has a huge chance ... cause then it will just be streaming and then its the end of disc format. (blu-ray being last)

Given that you can put 100gig on a tripler layer BD then if they wanted to they could put most everything 4k on blu-ray still ... Some longer movies might just be 2 disc is all and I wonder how many movies would really have to go 2disc? its just they dont want pirates having access to 4k copies. Thats all there is too it .... I'm sure huge debates in hollywood turning ugly over this everyday.

blu-ray isnt going anywhere for a long while ... blu-ray wont become "dvd" but dvd will become "vhs" :p

What your forgetting when it comes to streaming is that aside from internet speeds not being good enough in certain regions of the world the ISP's are implementing bandwidth limits on connections now as well. We already have bandwidth limits here in Canada.... like mine personally is capped off at 400GB a month... no 4k resolution gunna' be streaming in this house or any other house for that matter in Canada... and who knows how long before other countries and ISP's follow suit with probably one of the dumbest idea's of the last 100 years... capping bandwidth on the f^cking internet!!!!

In my mind physical media will always have a market (at-least enough to keep it going for a long time). I just dont think 4k is going to make it main-stream to the level blu-ray in 1080p has. Money hungry companies are forcing tech down the pipeline too fast. Re-visit 4k in 10 years from now and I bet they have a far more accepting consumer market to the tech and openness to buy.

ah yeah add that in and its even more stacked against them ... and there is even more cards then just these against them. Soon they'll roll on this huge promotional bandwagon ... I think I will sit back and laugh till I see something substantial ...

whats with that one no-name brand tv basically clearancing out their 4k tvs? What do they know we dont? :p

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I guess more so im just interested in 4k as to what type of UP CONVERSION it can do to my 1080p discs ... that is if they release a damn player able to atleast put blu-rays in and upconvert. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reactions: Jason Bourne
There are so many things you get with a physical disc you are never going to get with streaming. Extras, running commentaries, deleted scenes, superb packaging, artwork etc. If fact if you were to bring back the 12" laserdisc as the basis for the new 4K medium, you'd be on to a winner since by definition it would be a niche market anyway

From a filmmaker's perspective, it's going to take a long time for 4k to become the standard. When filmed and seen on proper equipment, 4k really does blow away 1080. That said, consumers don't have the money to convert to 4k gear like they did when the economy was good and 720/1080p made its presence known. Until that changes, filmmakers really have very little incentive to figure out the content delivery issue.

If anyone is leading the charge on this it's RED with their REDRAY. I think the future looks more towards using USB flash drives for consumers for tangible purchases. Eventually ISP's will catch on to the fact that bandwidth limits will have to be opened up. Once that happens I think you'll be able to purchase/download 4k movies and rent/stream 1080p.

Reactions: Wreck
the biggest problem is the studios who own the movie rights do not want consumers to have the MASTER in their hand ... its like giving pirates the original film ... it will never happen. ....

i don't agree on this. you can buy music in WAV format, (not only inferior MP3 quality,) everywhere since years now, and basically WAV is same quality as the master. so i don't see why it should be different in the movie market as soon as there are discs with enough space, and consumer friendly-priced technology to play it.
i guess the switch to 4k will happen in 5-7 years.

and for sure the main companies will find ways to gain some interest for this new 4k thing, most likely in the collector's segment of the market.
i expect some tricky combination of 4k with 2d-->3d converting without the need of 3d glasses.

edit: and my opinion on the whole streaming/dl. issue: of course the online market will increase over the next years, but there will always be demand for something haptic and limited. so 95% of the people will download or stream movies online instead of buying amarays and cheap keep case editions, but 5% of the people will still want to buy movies for displaying, collecting, shelfing, fondling and so on. (another comparison: "everyone" consumes music online nowadays, streamed, downloaded, ripped,.., but the vinyl is still there, the collector's market is more lively as it ever was!)
:)

Last edited:
There are so many things you get with a physical disc you are never going to get with streaming. Extras, running commentaries, deleted scenes, superb packaging, artwork etc. If fact if you were to bring back the 12" laserdisc as the basis for the new 4K medium, you'd be on to a winner since by definition it would be a niche market anyway

Laserdisks only hold 60 minutes each side I believe

i don't agree on this. you can buy music in WAV format, (not only inferior MP3 quality,) everywhere since years now, and basically WAV is same quality as the master. so i don't see why it should be different in the movie market as soon as there are discs with enough space, and consumer friendly-priced technology to play it.
i guess the switch to 4k will happen in 5-7 years.

and for sure the main companies will find ways to gain some interest for this new 4k thing, most likely in the collector's segment of the market.
i expect some tricky combination of 4k with 2d-->3d converting without the need of 3d glasses.

edit: and my opinion on the whole streaming/dl. issue: of course the online market will increase over the next years, but there will always be demand for something haptic and limited. so 95% of the people will download or stream movies online instead of buying amarays and cheap keep case editions, but 5% of the people will still want to buy movies for displaying, collecting, shelfing, fondling and so on. (another comparison: "everyone" consumes music online nowadays, streamed, downloaded, ripped,.., but the vinyl is still there, the collector's market is more lively as it ever was!)
:)

It is somewhat not the purest form in regards to music as listening to it in its TRACK form from the cpu on which itts recorded to would be its truest form next to LIVE of course.

Not sure what this really means, but...

I aint' upgrading to whatever new format comes out for 10 years, lol. Eff that... blu-ray just came out in 2008... there pushing new tech too fast... heck, dvd is still alive and well!

I know Jay, my family got our 1st color TV in 1972 look how far they have come in 41 years.:hilarious:

The problem with streaming via the interent is that in many parts streaming can barely support SD never mind HD os 4K HD. Bandwidth gaps etc... Sure one day perhaps it could but that might be a decade away.

One problem with 4K HD is that the consumer base hasn't fully adopted blu-ray yet. Sure blu-ray might slowly be getting more space in stores. Such as was the case when DVD took over from VHS. But the simply fact remains is that for many DVD is good enough, as blu-ray can still be slightly dearer than by the same film on DVD. You want blu-ray to go even more widespread, have the studios cahrge more for DVD rather than blu-ray or at the very least charge the same.

It is somewhat not the purest form in regards to music as listening to it in its TRACK form from the cpu on which itts recorded to would be its truest form next to LIVE of course.

true, buy WAV is still lossless audio and not even mastering studios mess around with single tracks/stems after the final mixdown, but take a wav in 24bit / 44.1khz for the final step. so compared to movies, i dont see a reason why studios would resist selling 4k res.movies to us if they can create a market for it.

they claim its because then people can and will figure out how to break through the security measures as they've done with bd and dvd before. Thus, now they have the highest quality master in their hand. Lots of young generation download/stream illegally and dont care.