Blu-Ray successor announced by Sony and Panasonic

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Techbeat:

Sony and Panasonic have announced that they want to develop an optical disc that can hold at least 300 gigabytes of data by 2015. This is to be a successor to the Blu-ray discs, which can only hold up to 50 GB.

In the past Sony has said that 4K ultra-high-definition films were likely to take up more than 100GB of space. It recently launched a device that allows 4K movies to be streamed over the internet but it is not much use for users who have a slow internet connection or have data-use limits.

Blu-ray disc laser

In their press release, the firms indicate that the primary market for this new technology will be business wishing to copy and preserve their data. It is also likely that there will be a demand within the consumer market for higher capacity discs.

There has been a decline in the sales of disc-based television box set and movie sales, which is thought to be caused by the rise in streaming services like Amazon’s Lovefilm and Netflix. However, last year there were 179 million disc-based videos sold in the UK, according to figures published by the British Film Institute (BFI).

“For the foreseeable future, even with more advances in streaming, there will be a niche for discs,” Russ Crupnick, a media analyst at consultants NPD told the BBC.

“But how large that is going to be is hard to say because it is going to be more about the collector and less about every day usage.”

4K Camcorders

An increase in demand for extra storage is also likely to be generated by the public’s ability to create its own ultra-high-definition footage.

JVC, Sony and Panasonic have all produced prototype camcorders which they say will be aimed at the “prosumer” market.

“The cheapest way to store lots of this material long term is going to be on an optical disc rather than a solid state drive in your laptop or tablet, or on SD cards,” said Paul O’Donovan, digital video expert at the tech advisory firm Gartner.

“And they are more convenient if you want to send the video you shot to somebody.

“Imagine trying to send a 300 gigabyte file over the internet – it would take ages.”

Until we see this new 4K technology, there is an interim solution as Panasonic already make a 100GB Blu-ray disc, but it needs a special player.

same with music.whats even worse, most people prefer downloading badly ripped mp3 over wav just to safe disc space. my point is, pirating and ripping also music in highest quality already happens. i dont think anyone at the big companies want to miss out on any money they can make even if they lose the exclusivity of the so called master. they just have to live with all the free file share on the internet but will still find ways to make blu-ray look like dvd does nowadays.

edit.sorry for the confused talking.sent from my smartphone from a night club at 115db drumandbass music.:)

Last edited:
It wouldn't take ages if telecom companies upgraded there pipes to the consumer. I'm on 85mbit, 50gb is but an hour and 30minutes. 300gb isn't ages...

The problem with streaming via the interent is that in many parts streaming can barely support SD never mind HD os 4K HD. Bandwidth gaps etc... Sure one day perhaps it could but that might be a decade away.

One problem with 4K HD is that the consumer base hasn't fully adopted blu-ray yet. Sure blu-ray might slowly be getting more space in stores. Such as was the case when DVD took over from VHS. But the simply fact remains is that for many DVD is good enough, as blu-ray can still be slightly dearer than by the same film on DVD. You want blu-ray to go even more widespread, have the studios cahrge more for DVD rather than blu-ray or at the very least charge the same.

It might help if companies stopped selling blu rays and DVDs in one case and separate DVDs in another as this usually means the blu ray option is more expensive, they should have a blu ray only release and a DVD only release and charge the same price for each option or less for blu ray

It is a mystery to me why the studios have the Blu-ray/DVD and the cheaper DVD alone editions. Make the consumer choose one or the other at the same price. I understand the options when equipment prices were high but these days? Come on. Best Buys and Walmarts still stack too much space for DVDs which is okay if they are moving tons of hardware product but when was the last time you seen a DVD only player? Alright maybe a portable one for car but heck even laptops these days have dropped the DVD drive.

Streaming/pirating is a fact of life these days. Whether the studios are reluctant to let consumers have a master copy of the IP I don't know but I remember watching movies in my house as a kid on a projector running film reels. That is giving the consumer a copy of the master but perhaps these days the mindset is different I guess with so much money at stake. Still with HD streaming finally getting traction, I am not seeing the full benefit of a blu-ray disc - HD/lossless audio, special features, menu navigation, audio languages/subtitles, trailers, etc. Every time I open up my home theater to friends and family, they put away their phones and simply experience the movie on Blu-ray. When we switch to streaming, they dis-engaged and return to their phones and chatter. I believe 4K discs can enhance that Blu-ray experience BUT only with bigger displays (50 inchers were consider HUGE a few years back but standard size today). The immersive-ness factor is what 4K brings to the next level of the movie experience. Look at what Avatar did for hi-def and 3D formats. It will also push the limits of film-making with better story telling, cinematography, visual and audio effects, musical dramatization, etc. Through the blu-ray (and NOT DVD) format, I have seen the next generation explored and embarked on career choices which they otherwise would never ever thought of. I believe regardless of whether the mass market sees 4K as a niche market or not, it is a gigantic door to artistic innovations and not just corporate data whores.

I want to experience and share the next Avatar in 4K with Dolby Atmos in my home with commentaries, special features that blow up the viewer's mind and heart. In another words, replicate the experience of the first time I watched it in the theater or be blown away by my first experience of that movie at home. Yes it will be expensive and take time to tweak and build but that is the point. The new 4K format, in my opinion, will take time and money initially to take hold and it will begin by those of us, early adopters, helping raise heads of those looking down on their phones simply a few inches up to an whole new world.

Sorry had to borrow that last line from The Internship :)

I'll be buying 4k discs if they come with a Blu Ray 2k copy even if I don't have a player.
Initially dismissed Blu Ray but then had to double dip as I already bought some films on DVD.

I agree. Studios & distributors need to stop putting DVD's with the Blu-rays. Now I wouldn't say, make blu-ray cheaper than a DVD, but it should be the same price now. Given the choice, consumers will pick blu-ray because there is no reason because it's more expensive.

As for MP3's. Well, we all know the reason why everyone rips them and puts them onto their ipods. You only have limited space. ipod nano only holds 16GB. touch is only 64 max. Just giving for reference, since millions prefer apple (I am not one of them).

I seriously hope Blu-ray discs remain the physical medium, even for 4k content. It would allow consumers to embrace it better, plus...allow the next gen to work without upgrading (again) to another expensive upgrade.

As I see it 4ks problems in gaining market share are manifold, but three main points stand out . . .

In the first place the actual difference in definition between the best Blu Ray and 4k that a human eye can see with 20/20 vision lies somewhere between negligible and zero.

Secondly, you are only really likely to see any improvement at all over Blu Ray on impossibly large screens. Bear in mind that the majority of people are limited either financially, by room size or a combination of both to screens of 50 inches or less - often less.

Third - the general public may well like innovation, but attempting to unleash 4k onto a world that has not yet (by and large) taken Blu ray to its heart is a definite bridge too far.

Only if 4k delivers 4:4:4 sampling in color will I even care to upgrade. Vibrancy of color is something the eye can detect.

I think 4k upscaling on the receiver or oppo players will be good enough using the blu-ray full HD discs

4k and 8k it's only may be for professional use .Many normal people don't see the difference between dvd an bluray , and from hd and 4k ?
The Atmos dolby is very cool . I need this.

I know this is someway in the future when they become available but with regards to the new Xbone having a blu-ray player, does anyone think the 4k discs will be compatible with the Xbone?
The blu-ray player is an app on the device so I assume it could just be updated with the relevant firmware?
Whether or not I buy them will be decided on if they are compatible or not

4k and 8k it's only may be for professional use .Many normal people don't see the difference between dvd an bluray , and from hd and 4k ?
The Atmos dolby is very cool . I need this.

Unless you go backward, when you watch something now on a older format you wonder why you thought it was so good at the time, even 80'S tv programmes look so dated now!

Ron

Reactions: Troll2Fan
This was an interesting topic to read about. I personally do not think we are ready for yet another form of blu-ray/dvds. Ash333 you bring up some really interesting points man, and I agree with you.

However, I work in retail at my mall, in a store called FYE. We sell blu-rays, dvds, cds, all new and used. I can tell you from experience that people buy more dvds than blu-rays and people still do not understand the difference between dvd and blu-ray. I get asked all the time "what's the difference between blu-ray and dvd?" "What is blu-ray, will it play on my dvd player?" The people asking these questions vary in age as well. I try and explain the difference between the two without trying to sound foreign, basically boils down to better picture and audio quality is what I tell them to keep it sort and sweet.

A lot of customers go, it isn't worth it or it you won't see the difference. I gave up trying to argue with people about the differences...For example we were selling Man of Steel blu-ray combo pack for $15 and the dvd was still at $19.99. People constantly bought the dvd over the blu-ray combo pack. There are tons of examples that I see everyday that would just make everyone's head hurt here lol. If anyone wants more examples I can share..

Also, we still sell dvd players sadly..they are small and people still ask if we have..and they buy them..I just do not think the general population is ready for a new tech for movies~

Well I for one am glad that society isn't ready for 4K. As nice as it would be to have a few ultra-visual films like Avatar on the format, I already find myself buying more DVD's than is desirable because their licenses have been obliterated, studios dont see the demand, etc. Having movies in three different formats on my shelves sounds....icky

I would buy 4K if it doesn't have; the obligatory 1, 2 or more anti piracy warning notices/ads, endless 'coming soon' trailers (that they sometimes make difficult to skip) and/or ads for Dolby and DTS and/or ads for digital downloads and Ultraviolet, menus that sit there waiting for you to choose English before anything will happen, annoying menu noises...

Imagine if you bought a CD and the first thing you heard was a warning not to copy the CD, followed by adverts for other CDs, perhaps a promotion from the company that mastered the CD...we put up with a lot of crap on our video formats.

Not sure what this really means, but...

I aint' upgrading to whatever new format comes out for 10 years, lol. Eff that... blu-ray just came out in 2008... there pushing new tech too fast... heck, dvd is still alive and well!

You tell 'em man!

I'm still buying DVD as well as Blu 'cause a good number of films still don't make it to Blu Ray, and the way the market is, it's liable to stay that way for many many years to come.

For loads of reasons, mostly technical and financial (and no, I don't mean the cost of the sets), 4k and above is a pipe dream that will never be a serious contender in broadcast and general home entertainment terms.

Don't believe the hype boys and girls - it's perpetrated by vested interests to sell more kit to the gullible and the one-upmanship brigade!