Buy 1 Holy Grail steelbook or Buy 6 regular steebook?

Do you prefer 1 holy grail steelbook instead of 6 regular steelbook?

• I'm happy to spend $300 on 1 holy grail steelbook.

Votes: 56 36.8%
  • I'm happy to spend $300 on 6 regular steelbook.

Votes: 96 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MayFlower

Premium Supporter
Sep 28, 2011
I'm just curious what other collectors think about that question.

If you have $300 spending for steelbook, then what would you do?

Buy the holy grail steelbook like (Iron Man Futureshop, Rambo, etc) that you have been wanting to add

or

do you buy 6 individual steelbook at a price of $50 each.

I'm curious what you would do in that situation....

I see some members making comments like "I can't afford it", but then I see them with 50+ steelbooks in their collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL...i'm good with my words man...

The day when you guys see me posting 10 SEALED Iron Man FS, then expect me to ask everyone in this thread for their paypal info :)

Thought I'd better get my name on this thread, just in case you DO win lotto :D

Jos your so right there mate very ££££

Imagine how it is when our $ is weaker .... I'm sure folks all over Europe love American Sellers ;)

And this is why i give a lot of credit to Countries with even weaker economy than the dollar. You gotta tip your hat to those collectors as its harder for them to obtain stuff. Like Mexico for example.

Sadly the question is largely irrelevant in my mind as I am the sort of person who will just buy the next wave, double dipping, whatever, try and offset my costs some how. There are several HG's that I don't have and sadly am unlikely to have as I don't consider that extra expense worth it. I am lucky in that I have managed to collect most of the "rare" list but there are still copies that I cannot find at a reasonable price or cannot find, period. Like aps said
I'd rather have x steelbooks than over spend on a steelbook ever again and potentially have it be worth much less than I paid
I feel I've bought a couple at more than the going rate but I console myself with the fact that I have got many at or under the going rate (Any I have bought off evilBay have been at reasonable prices for what they were/are. I don't trade there as you have to overprice just to break even imo, just my $0.02.)

Last edited:
LOL...i'm good with my words man...

The day when you guys see me posting 10 SEALED Iron Man FS, then expect me to ask everyone in this thread for their paypal info :)

If you win the lotto the only reason you will need our paypal info is to send money. :D

Get more for your money and buy the multiple steels. I've found that half of the fun of holy grail steels, is in the chase. Though the holy grails usually keep going up in value more.

Get more for your money and buy the multiple steels. I've found that half of the fun of holy grail steels, is in the chase. Though the holy grails usually keep going up in value more.

I agree, the most fun of the Holy Grail is definitely the chase and the fact that you own something that is rare and worth something...

Boy, its hard to get a steel for $35.00 now. Only if you have a store nearby. Most steels cost 25 bucks. Add 13% tax and ship to England for 18.00. Getting close to 50 bucks.

Sent From The Bat Cave.

yeah, i know. Its harder now. But I have a future shop 7 minutes away from my house and up until now I have been getting most of those for $35 or less. Obviously been paying close to $50 these days as I have been buying more imports from Germany and UK and as you say it adds up with shipping and extra costs.

"John Rambo" , "Romeo & Juliet" or "Wanted" and I would still need to dig into my pocket... but there are certain bragging rights to having what the majority does not... I love my toys...

Less is more, quality over quantity, definately get the rare steelbooks first that are harder to come by as the price will only keep going up. Remember this, it is not how many steelbooks you own, it is what is in your collection :)

I'd probably go for the more steelbooks option. I tend to open and watch the ones I buy so it makes sense for me to do that!

Id go for more over the holy grail. I care about the movies as much as I do about the steels and I'd rather have 6 movies I like in my collection than one. Also, re-releases are very common nowadays...

My way of thinking has changed over time. Since there are so many releases these days and I can't buy them all I'd rather go for one beauty than 6 steels of "meh" quality. The steel is the collectible part after all, not the movie, and why am I collecting it? Because it's a beauty to behold! I have an amaray collection for films I like but that don't have a great steel or one that I have yet to acquire. Yes, it is more of a gamble value-wise buying an expensive steel (the recent Korean white wave appears to have destroyed the value of my Japanese steels), but I'm still left with a work of art regardless of its worth. And I think the film studios' ruthless business acumen will stop them re-releasing the real gems such as Ironman, as they know the collectors' market would fold.
I don't have much cash to spend so we're talking relatively here, and I don't as yet have completist OCD. Perhaps that will come with more time...:D

Thankfully, there are no holy grails for me. I've purchased every steelbook I've wanted, at or near release date. I would never think of paying $300 for any steelbook.

The standout for me is the Future Shop Iron Man, with it's graphic design and beautiful colors, it is pure eye candy. I see why everyone wants this one. Several months after it's release, resellers on eBay raised the pricing from $40, to $60, when they started drying up. I thought people were crazy to pay that. :p

If i had to spend my own money i would deff take the 6 option , if its my wife's money then i would buy the holy-grail , tough decision for me in all fairness sometimes i impulse buy with a steelbook as i'm sure a lot of members on here do .

staring at the ebay auction page with a buy it now price of £££'s for that steelbook you really really want , finger hovering over that buy it now price ... ooo it makes me judder :)

for me, id sooner have 1 that i reeeeaally want, than 6 run of the mill steels.
and i can justify that by recent ebay sales.
i sold bangkok dangerous, the fountain (both french) letters from iwo jima, final destination 4, death race 2 and fanboys (all german) all with low starting prices, as i neede paypal funds.
they finished up for a total of £42 (i paid over £100 for them when i bought them) so i made a huuuuuge loss.
Run of the mill steels are losing value, fast. even long oop steels are not getting such high prices unless you find someone desperate and daft enough to pay top dollar.
i would certainly pick FS iron man over 5 or 6 of the new US steels, but to be honest that FS iron man may be the only steelbook i would want to add to my collection.
im excited about the new UK steels, but thats partly due to the low price point. if they had been priced at £17.99 i would not have ordered a single one, but for a cheap £9.99 with inside artwork and embossing/debossing. they have perfect specs.
i imagine they will all be future collectables commanding nearer the £30 mark (unless they make thousands).

so to close, given the straight choice of 6 run-of-the-mill, highly possible to depreciate in value, far less desired st6eelbooks.... or 1 holy grail, price holding/increasing, breathtaking legendary steelbook.. its a no brainer. go for gold, not multiple bronze.

the only worrying factor is that holy grail steelbook may lose its value in the end, and be worth far far less than you paid. (but then the same can be true for the collective 6 you have, as ive found)

i don't think any steelbook would be worth spending $300 on, personally.
value can be a bit of a grey area sometimes. a steelbook may be worth $300 to one collector, but less to other collectors, no matter how much the value actually is.

i voted for 6 steels, but still what steelbooks cost $50 as standard?

for 300 dollars id be looking at around 15 steelbooks - being in the uk that would be around £15 each.

if someone gave me 300 dollars and was told i had to spend it on steelboks i still wouldnt spend it on iron man or rambo - to me no steelbook no matter how rare is worth it. the most id spend on a steelbook is roughly £25 and it would have to be an import of a film i really liked.

quantity for me, there are gorgeous steelbooks at $15 each.

I'm happy to spent 300 for holy grail and 300 for 6 regular , I'd choose this answer in this poll but my wallet remind me it's empty lolll

Status
Not open for further replies.