Buy 1 Holy Grail steelbook or Buy 6 regular steebook?

Do you prefer 1 holy grail steelbook instead of 6 regular steelbook?

• I'm happy to spend $300 on 1 holy grail steelbook.

Votes: 56 36.8%
  • I'm happy to spend $300 on 6 regular steelbook.

Votes: 96 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MayFlower

Premium Supporter
Sep 28, 2011
I'm just curious what other collectors think about that question.

If you have $300 spending for steelbook, then what would you do?

Buy the holy grail steelbook like (Iron Man Futureshop, Rambo, etc) that you have been wanting to add

or

do you buy 6 individual steelbook at a price of $50 each.

I'm curious what you would do in that situation....

I see some members making comments like "I can't afford it", but then I see them with 50+ steelbooks in their collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd definitely go with the purchase 6 option. Sometimes it's hard for me to swallow the $300 price tag a Sideshow Premium Format figure costs (they're usually in the $300 range) or Hot Toys figure. And any one of those 6 Steelbooks could become the next "grail" that certainly would've skipped on because I just bought a single one for $300.

I would rather buy 6 regular Steelbooks. I would never ever pay over 60€ for a Steelbook, and even with that price, the Steelbook must be in perfect condition. Can't even have the tiniest ding on it.

Sure that Iron Man-Steelbook looks nice, but not nice enough so I would pay $300 for it. EEK!

I think my top prices I have paid was 50-60€ each for Shutter Island and for Sweeney Todd Demon Barber. Both pretty rares.

i voted for 6 steels, but still what steelbooks cost $50 as standard?

for 300 dollars id be looking at around 15 steelbooks - being in the uk that would be around £15 each.

quantity for me, there are gorgeous steelbooks at $15 each.

Yeah well you're lucky because here in Canada, each steel is 25-30$ each at special price on launch day. So imagine if you would want to import one of these to the Uk, it's 50$ each with shipping and all the fees.

All the import I've bought around 50$ each.

I would go for 6 Steelbooks rather than one holy grail. I don't think I could ever spend that amount on just one steel!

When I look at some of the steels on my shelf, I think to myself I could have not bought these and got one I reaaaally wanted instead. Sure, I only have good movies on my shelf, but the amaray would have sufficed. I might start selling some of them off to make way for new purchases soon!

I would go for 6 regular steelbooks that you know could be potential holy grails and use them for trade in the future

Hmmm, interesting question. 1 holy grail, or 6 regular steels? I'll answer that question with a question of my own. 1 Action comics #1 (1st Superman), the holy grail of comics, or 6 "regular" comics? Not a fair questions? OK, howabout 1 Action comics #1, or 6 "rare" comics? See the point I'm getting at? There is a very good reason why my collection is the way it is. I think you know where I stand on this matter.

This thread is close to home at the moment. I've offered considerably more than the high amount for my grail but have had no takers, so I think that once people have their grails the amount of money it takes to tempt them to sell far outweighs what they paid or considered paying for them.

I voted for the grail over 6 regulars, my collection has too much stuff that, if I had my time over again, I wouldn't re-buy.

All the best

Reactions: Sigill
This thread is close to home at the moment. I've offered considerably more than the high amount for my grail but have had no takers, so I think that once people have their grails the amount of money it takes to tempt them to sell far outweighs what they paid or considered paying for them.

I voted for the grail over 6 regulars, my collection has too much stuff that, if I had my time over again, I wouldn't re-buy.

All the best

I see what you are saying Nick, people value there holy grails much more than standard steels. I hope you find TDK mate, your collection deserves it.:)

Reactions: OxfordNick

All the best

That is so so true with very good reason for this. Its is the grails, the top 1% that increases the most as time goes on. Not "regular" or even "rare" steels. People probably wonder why I pay such a "high" price for some of these steels, the reason is that they're the top 1%, thats why. I remember back in the mids 90's, I was into a card game called Magic the Gathering. At the time, I saw a card called the "Black Lotus" , the holy grail of Magic in a card shop for $80. I nearly choked when I saw the price. I asked myself who the hell would pay $80 for a playing card? At this very moment, a mint, black bordered "Black Lotus" bids for $3000 - $4000 on ebay. Guess the jokes on me huh? I learned a very valuable lesson that very day. Quality over quantity any day of the week, twice on Sundays. That that, my friend is why I have more grails than you can count on all your fingers.

I'd rather go for multiple steels instead. Holy grails are often movies I don't even care about (Iron Man) and sometimes don't even look that nice. I may be tempted to pay a small premium for a steel of a movie I personally enjoyed, but never over-the-top prices for something which would only collect dust on a shelf.

I'd rather go for multiple steels instead. Holy grails are often movies I don't even care about (Iron Man) and sometimes don't even look that nice. I may be tempted to pay a small premium for a steel of a movie I personally enjoyed, but never over-the-top prices for something which would only collect dust on a shelf.

Stevo, you have multiple copies of many rare steels. Question, why do you keep so many of them? Is it as an investment or just for pleasure? I ask as its something I have come across recently with another collector and I am struggling to see his motivation for keeping so many copies of the same thing.

Cheers

Stevo, you have multiple copies of many rare steels. Question, why do you keep so many of them? Is it as an investment or just for pleasure? I ask as its something I have come across recently with another collector and I am struggling to see his motivation for keeping so many copies of the same thing.

Cheers

Both investment and pleasure. Like I've said many times, I require an opened copy of every single one of my steels, grail or no grail. I'm at heart a fan, but I do see these steels as highly collectible. Look at all the members of this forum, and the countries they're from. These steelbooks are a world wide phenomenom. Even studios and major retailers are getting in the act. As for the cost of these grails, its rather relative really. Is $800 too steep for a sealed FS IM?, maybe, maybe not. Like I said, I could have had that "Black lotus" for $80, now on ebay, the bidding is at over $3500 for that very same card. Go see for yourself, theres only 5 hrs left on that auction, so it will probably bid for alot more than $3500. You see?, you gotta ask what CAN a holy grail steel go for? years from now.

Reactions: OxfordNick
Apart from the fact that $300 doesn't really buy too many holy grails, the question is difficult to answer. I'm going with the 6 "normal" ones, because during the year that I have been collecting steelbooks now, the prices for IM FS, JR amazon, Indy, Angels & Demons etc. haven't really increased, have they? Whereas new, standard releases, like Matrix Trilogy, BB Japan, TDK Japan, Thor, Drive UK..., even new releases like IM Play, The Raid etc. have become quite rare. I'd rather stay on top with all the countless new releases and don't risk missing another potential future holy grail while they're still affordable. Whenever I have some exra money to spend, I'll invest it in a rare older title like I did with Star Trek FS or Wanted MM, but these always seem to be there for the taking on evil bay....no collection will ever be complete or perfect, there are way too many things coming out now all over the world - a man has got to try though :scat:

All the best

Apart from the fact that $300 doesn't really buy too many holy grails, the question is difficult to answer. I'm going with the 6 "normal" ones, because during the year that I have been collecting steelbooks now, the prices for IM FS, JR amazon, Indy, Angels & Demons etc. haven't really increased, have they? Whereas new, standard releases, like Matrix Trilogy, BB Japan, TDK Japan, Thor, Drive UK..., even new releases like IM Play, The Raid etc. have become quite rare. I'd rather stay on top with all the countless new releases and don't risk missing another potential future holy grail while they're still affordable. Whenever I have some exra money to spend, I'll invest it in a rare older title like I did with Star Trek FS or Wanted MM, but these always seem to be there for the taking on evil bay....no collection will ever be complete or perfect, there are way too many things coming out now all over the world - a man has got to try though :scat:

I think there are major changes since you made this post in regards to the price of grails such as Rambo and IM lol. I'm sure you're aware of the recent sale of the sealed Rambo? I know people are skeptical, but the seller has a great history of selling high priced steels, just look at his feedback. Even just now, I had my eye on a opened FS IM, it ended up selling for over $450, I paid $285 for my opened copy just a little over 1 month ago. Thats an increase of $165 in roughly 1 months time. That seller of Rambo has another sealed Rambo, plus T2 Black, Romeo & Juliet, and Moulin Rouge up for bid as we speak. You should keep an eye on these to stay current on recent developements.

BTW, I don't consider some of the steels you listed as "grails". To me, a grail has to be able to command a CONSISTANT bidding price of over $500 (to be changed very shortly, I'm sure) in an auction setting. Which at this time, eliminates about 99% of all steels.

Reactions: Twizted328i
Hi guys even though I have only been collecting for a little under a month I have been an avid DVD collector for years and having thougnt this question over just yesterday I believe it makes more sense to go for that holy grail over normal steels when you have something you have set your heart on I know that sometimes these things pop up at a good price and rather than risk the lost oppertunity go for it the regulars will always be about and cheap and close to hand unlike the highly sort after prizes I hope this makes sense but from now on I'm concentrating on the rare and prized over the next release from hmv

To keep this short, if you have the money to spend, I would say hunt the grails first as they are the hardest to find and the prices will just keep bumping up. New releases can always be found later. The recent prices for unsealed and sealed John Rambo, unsealed Iron Man, sealed 2.0, sealed and unsealed Inglourious Basterds, chinese Iron Packs of Romeo and Moulin have commanded a value increase from ebay auctions. These steelz are very unlikely to be released with the same artwork and will only get more expensive.

I say again that the grails and steelz that demand the most value (sealed) will be the:
*BIG FOUR - Le Grande Bleu, John Rambo Uncut, T2 2.0, Iron Man FS
*The chinese Iron Packs - ID4 Error Version, Moulin Rouge, Romeo and Juliet
*FS Titlies - Inglourious Basterds and I now see Terminator Salvation IP rising fast!
*Taiwan Slip covers - Gladiator TW, Terminator Salvation TW, Captain America TW
*FNAC - The Dark Knight FNAC with sticker!

If you have a chance to get the above at a reasonable price go for it. New releases can always be found later. Even if you don't want it, someone else will :)

Status
Not open for further replies.