Camera Talk!

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
Have a Camera, Point and Shoot, SLR, show off your equipment

Need a Camera; Ask your questions and maybe someone can help out!

Sound off below

So after almost 10 years with my trusty Canon I'm looking to upgrade. The Canon works fine but wanted some new features and better zoom etc.

IMG_5871.JPG

Here is the rub. I'm torn over two cameras, the Sony WX350 and the Sony WX500...

Pros of the 350 over the 500
Lighter
Smaller
Better battery life

Pros of the 500 over the 350
Zeiss lens
30X zoom

350 Specs
500 Specs

now forget price, got both at a good price, the 500 is much larger and heavier but I really like the 30X zoom. But if there is a camera person out there who has an opinion about the cameras let me know

Reactions: Flash
I bought a GoPro clone for my Caribbean holiday. It's great, it's 4K 24p and works with my iPad & iPhone. Took it whale watching, zip lining with no issues. Until the last day that is. The housing opened for some reason and sea water got in a bricked it, totally. I dried it out but still no joy. I contacted the seller and he replaced it the next day and told me to keep the broken one. Last weekend I thought frack it I'm gonna give it a bath in soapy water. Wash it, dry it out for 3 hours and would you Adam & Eve it, it now works, even the lcd screen. I now have 2 GoPros. Bought a load of accessories for them today. Really looking forward to using them on my next adventure. Thinking Costa Rica or Belize.

image_zpsdwi1cdqz.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: luke98
I've got an old Canon 1D mk ii & a 30D with various lenses but have also just picked up a Canon Powershot S60 HS for when I'm travelling ;)

@Blu-devil I actually did go with the WX-500. It was larger than the 350 but I decided to keep it. I have been happy

Glad you got that Nikon. I was considering those larger cameras but just didn't want something that large to lug around when at cons. The Sony takes amazing photos for its size. very well built camera

• Thanks
Reactions: Blu-devil
I've never been a fan of neck straps as I find they dig into my neck, so I just purchased a hand strap and it works so well with my battery grip and 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses. So well balanced. Looking forward to trying out my new gear when I go on a Eurostar trip to Arles in September.

image_zpsifkizpmc.jpeg

image_zpsudusxzxu.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: dominic
Looks like SteelBooks and movie watching will be slowing down considerably as I have rekindled my love of photography.
Only this morning I purchased a Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO. To be honest, Steelbook collecting no longer thrills me. It's all about photography and whizzing around on my moped now.
I have some of the most picturesque and historically significant sites right on my doorstep, it would be foolish not to take advantage of them. I don't want to spend all weekends plonked in front of my projector screen.

image_zps8oke9acs.jpeg

image_zpsz9ebk4nq.jpeg

image_zps78ezmr1u.jpeg

image_zpsy75smel9.jpeg

image_zpswee4b9xs.jpeg

image_zpsc9hjiogm.jpeg

image_zpsmquw5uow.jpeg

image_zpsozomncrn.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
@Blu-devil That lens is almost the same lens that I have but mine is for my Canon. It's the Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, very nice to say the least. Took this photo with it a couple of weeks ago.

11061371.jpg

My Exif info:
exif.JPG

Photo of the actual lens itself:
Canon.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu-devil
Photography on hold unfortunately. Had motorcycle crash yesterday. Broke my shoulder blade, so holding my 6.5 pound camera/lens combo is gonna be problematic for a while.

****Edit**** surgery tomorrow to insert metal plate into collarbone. Not a happy bunny.

Last edited:
Moved into new house, only there for a week and while I was away my (Junkie) landlord broke into my room and stole all my photographic gear, my Pioneer Receiver, tripods, Spotting Scope, both of my Projectors and my Iron Man FS Steel-book. Fortunately I found most of my stuff in a local cash converters shop, though my Iron Man Steelbook is gone for good me thinks. Just waiting for 5:0 to catalog my stuff and return it to me. Then I go biblical on the thieving muthaf.ucker.

Moved into new house, only there for a week and while I was away my (Junkie) landlord broke into my room and stole all my photographic gear, my Pioneer Receiver, tripods, Spotting Scope, both of my Projectors and my Iron Man FS Steel-book. Fortunately I found most of my stuff in a local cash converters shop, though my Iron Man Steelbook is gone for good me thinks. Just waiting for 5:0 to catalog my stuff and return it to me. Then I go biblical on the thieving muthaf.ucker.
Damn! That sux! :angry: Did the police arrest the guy? Glad you got your stuff back though. :)

Still do photography the odd time, mainly plate camera work. I use a linhof technika 5 x 4 plate camera. It's an expensive hobby so I only do shots once in a white but there is nothing to beat that slide being developed and producing an image that 35mm and 21/4 can only dream off. I tend to buy my film from the states as it's way way cheaper but still expensive. £50 for 10 sheets. Sadly I miss the loss of polaroid film for test shots but I'm usually right with my exposure 90% of the time. No interest in digital cameras. Never liked them and for what you get, I think they are seriously overpriced. Yes I know they are convenient but just not me.
This is the sort of stuff I like doing. Remember the original scan is 4gig or 800 megapixels. This has been reduced 99% just to show here. This is the sort of stuff I like doing but it's bloody hard work and you usually only get 1 or 2 good shots. I'd say 80% of the shots are rubbish for various reasons. You really do have to work to compose. No such thing as instant shots with this format.........
Sorry for the small file size but anything over 300 and it won't load up.

Attachments

• DIANA-1.png
    DIANA-1.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 143