CEX - Retailer Thread [UK, Spain, USA, Ireland, India and Australia]

HUBMUSWELL

#Metal Hunter
Premium Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
London, UK
What is CeX?

CeX was founded in London in 1992. We have stores in the UK, Spain, USA, Ireland, India and Australia.

We buy, sell and exchange a range of technology and entertainment products including mobile phones, video games, DVDs and Blu-ray movies, computers, digital electronics, TVs and monitors, and music CDs.

UK Webpage https://uk.webuy.com/

Great place to find older rare steels but it's a question of being in the right place at the right time :movie:

IMG_00000042.jpg

IMG_00000044.jpg

IMG_00000043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure to check the steelbooks fully before buying from CEX as they don't seem to care about condition of steelbooks when they buy them off people

vv4d.jpg

Anyone bought anything from their website??
Erm, kind of. I'm pretty friendly with the guys in my local CEX and I spotted something (the Jurassic Park trilogy red tin (UK, not Germany)) on the website that I fancied. I asked them nicely and they gave the branch that had it in stock a ring and had it posted down for me. Took about a week and I didn't have to pay for it until I had it in hand, and they gave me a ring when it arrived.

As it turned out it was near mint, none of the stickers or anything had been used and it was only £12 :)

Reactions: Flash
I traded in some damaged Steelbooks in my local CeX, they were Sherlock Holmes 2 and Dark Shadows, only got around £2 for them. The discs were mint, I've purchased Steelbooks from them before online and they arrive in very good condition normally, so I felt a little guilty trading them in as I'd hate for someone to receive them in poor condition. CeX could've refused to buy them from me, but an employee took a gander at the discs and didn't bat an eye. I suppose it's because they sell many Steelbooks under the amaray price so in retrospect it will just be non-Steelbook collectors buying them and wouldn't deter sales. The staff are always very friendly, which is surprising seeing as how when I'm in there looking around there's always someone complaining about a phone not charging which leads to giving the staff grief because of it. That would make me go insane.

I rarely find any Steelbooks in my local, me thinks the staff are well informed of their value. Imagine the look on their faces if they found 10 copies of Iron Man Play.com exclusive :ohno: or imagine a customer going into one of their stores asking to trade in the Rambo German Steelbook and CeX rejecting it because it's an import. EEK! :jawdrop:

Reactions: zues
I thought we needed a cex discussion thread as I have bought steelbooks from my local cex store, some mint some not so mint, has anyone had issues purchasing steels from them, have you found some gems at a bargain price, let's have some fun!!!

images.jpg

The one true gripe I have with cex is that they are not open to suggestions or criticism, well my local store isn't anyways. I took down a pack of 30 poly bags to try and educate them about steelbook value and that collectors look for steels in mint condition, I explained that all the handling on the shelves can cause scratches etc, or even to display them behind the counter or even in the window display, they looked at me like I was a loonatic ha ha,

Anyone else had a say in how they sell steelbooks at there local stores?

Found this in store about a week ago. Matte finish with embossed title and badge. Really pleased with it, especially for the price :happy:.

DSCF3687.JPG

cex aren't interested in the condition of a steelbook case, all they care about is that you buy what goes inside it to increase their profit. I've been tempted to buy steelbooks i've seen in there but i'd rather pay more for a brand new copy than one thats been tossed around the shop for a few days or weeks.
Nice try though trying to educate the staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scary Hair and zues
There has been a steelbook overload in Wakefield nr me, jaws, mission impossible series, predator and total recall ( arnie), recall was mint which was a shock for 8.00 I snapped there hands off

Only to find when I got home that the blu ray disc inside was from the 1st release and was not the remastered disc, I could go on but the conversation at the store after when i returned it just winds me up lol

Reactions: Flash
I' be found quite a few steelbooks in ones near me not mint obviously but cheap prices so I've been happy :)

Reactions: zues
Forgot to add that the steel with the wrong disc was put straight back on the shelves for some other poor sap to buy, even though I did inform them of the disc issue

Also gang IF IF any disk is faulty only a 48 hr window for any returns :squint: . After that thay buy the disk back so example you pay 6 quid you may get 3 depending on the trade in price on the day BARSTOOLS :punch:.