Chinese/foreign text on your Premium Steels? Your thoughts...

Do you like Chinese/foreign text on your Premium steelbook purchases?

• Yes

• No

• Not bothered either way

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mickle_89

Premium Supporter
Jun 17, 2015
イギリス
After reading all the talk about HDzeta's recent change to remove Chinese text from their releases, figured this thread was worth creating. Folks seem to have strong opinions and stances regarding their preferences so maybe this is a better place to voice it?

I'll go first :p Personally I don't mind and it has never been an issue for me since purchasing my first HDZ and for some, I think I've actually liked it being present :)

Poll added so vote away ;):thumbs:

@Actarus

(P.S. If Mods feel this thread inappropriate, unnecessary or otherwise, please do with what you like :))

As long as they also had English, then I wasn't bothered by the Chinese text.
If one had multiple countries releases of the same film, then I think it added a little something to help distinguish them easily.

Not fussed at all, half my film collection is japanese, Korean or Hong Kong movies anyway so they blend in quite nicely :)
Plus it's incredibly ignorant to demand a country produce stuff in English language only when it's not even made exclusively for our market.
Like @justboy said, nice to differentiate editions too :thumbs:

Thanks @Mickle_89 for starting up this Thread :thumbs:

I like that whatever country I purchase a Fullslip Edition from, that it has their own native language to the Release. This is Part of the Fun to collect foreign Releases, to get some nice touches that make the release feel Special/different.

I've always Loved getting Steelbooks from Taiwan with their 1/4 Slip In Chinese, the Spine of the 1/4 Slip in Chinese always made the Steelbook feel enticing to me.

I never felt that HDzeta was overcrowded with their Chinese Title on their Fullslip Spines. Always felt that it was done tastefully.

@wxlinkswd @n3wk1d I hope HDzeta will reconsider adding the Chinese Title back on their Fullslip Spine. Without the Chinese Title, it doesn't feel too much like an HDzeta release :notworthy: ...or Please add some Chinese Text somewhere on the Release.

It doesnt bother me either way but I do enjoy some of the Taiwan releases with non english titles. I order tons of german and french steels as well and they do not have english many times. So for me it doesnt matter maybe even leaning towards having the native language over english

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus
To me asian text adds a bit something exotic but I also like to have English in addition. I do not see the point to non premium Taiwan steels wihout it. Non asian countries I prefer English only but not a show stopper.

Reactions: Actarus
Great thread @Mickle_89 and voted :thumbs:
I like that whatever country I purchase a Fullslip Edition from, that it has their own native language to the Release. This is Part of the Fun to collect foreign Releases, to get some nice touches that make the release feel Special/different.
@Actarus :notworthy:
45WW0wy.gif

If the edition is from Mexico, France, or Germany, I like to see/read the title on their language. But in the end, I honestly dont mind the foreign text, if I really love the packaging and artwork, I'll own it :hungry:

I prefer English because I am a native English speaker and the spine can get crowded when multiple languages are used. Most of my bluray collection is in English and I like everything to match. However I don't MIND multiple languages and I don't feel I have a right to ask a company to forego the native language for my Western "tastes". In fact, I really like the Kanji and Katakana on some of my Japanese releases because I know enough Japanese to read it. I guess I prefer English on the spine but welcome all languages anywhere else!

Chinese/Korean/Japanse letters: don't mind it at all (whoo! pretty frivolous signs!)
German/French title-changing texts: please don't

The Chinese text was the one minor problem I had with HDZeta releases, so yes I prefer them without. Having said that, I never made a big fuss about it as I was just glad to have another range of kick-ass steels :cool:

I'm a chinese and yes this is really bother me because this will make the cover and package look ugly and cheap, Forest Gump is an example, to me, I don't like HDzeta at all, Blufans is way better.

Kanji is artistic text and for some releases - Taiwan Lion King for example - it can enhance a release.
But generally I dislike ANY text on a steelbook.
Its all about the art/image IMO

HDZeta was excessive and the spines look way too busy. As a rule though I generally don't mind foreign text and sometimes it looks classy.