Cinavia and DRM control

Nov 29, 2013
I keep hearing a lot of different versions as to how controlling this new technology is going to be, who knows the real deal? I have heard that the cable/satellite companies are putting cameras into there DVR's so that they can tell if your having a group of friends over for a pay per view party, and shutting off your pay per view unless you pony up for the extra people in the room. Also TV's that have cameras will do the same for streaming companies. Sooner, rather than later, the Cloud will be the only source for watching your movies. Cinavia encoded movies will eventually be an uploaded version to the cloud like the ultraviolets, and only have a limited life, then you'll have to buy a new license to watch that movie for another limited life. Disc players will only be a source for uploading your movies, after Cinavia has unlocked the disc, for uploading to your cloud account. All of this is the attempt at total control over copyrights and ownership of that content.
Has anyone else heard of some of these future restrictions to our viewing?

I have heard that the cable/satellite companies are putting cameras into there DVR's so that they can tell if your having a group of friends over for a pay per view party, and shutting off your pay per view unless you pony up for the extra people in the room.
Pretty sure they'd be getting sued a lot if they ever tried anything like that, considering spying on you in such a way would be illegal in most counties.

My suggestion is go read this article on Cinavia for information about what it really does, or get your information direct from the horse's mouth.
All it does is in reality attempt to stop copying of / stop playback of / mute audio on media copied that is Cinavia protected.

If you're really worried though, may I suggest wearing masks :bag: when having friends round to watch the DVR so that they can't tell it's you?
Then you can just say it was your friends doing it without your permission. :p

Last edited: