Cinemotion/X-reality/Motion Flow/"the soap opera" effect questions

toddly6666

Premium Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Hong Kong
I just got a new Sony Bravia HDTV that has the "soap opera effect" feature which I cant stand. After much research, I read that this effect can be turned off. I dont have a Bluray player yet to try it, but I just got cable tv yesterday and all the HD movies broadcasted here in Hong Kong are supposedly using the soap opera effect turned on (unless it's only my tv).

Does it make sense that a tv company can broadcast an HD movie with the cinemotion/cinema drive/soap opera effect activated from their end, which means there's no way for the subscribers to turn that effect off (aka the way it was meant to be seen in the theater)? Im assuming that one has the control to turn on/off this option when watching a bluray but no option to turn it off when a channel broadcasts a movie like that?

To my knowledge, this is a processed effect created by your TV. Every TV i have owned, with the ability to add that effect to it's picture, has the option to turn it off. Most of them have a few different settings, like high/medium/low, etc. Again, to my knowlege, there is no way for a TV broadcast to come into your set that way, for it's purely created by your actual TV.

That said, if you haven't owned a 24P capable TV before, that may be throwing you off. I own a 2013 Panasonic 65ST60, and even with the motion smoother disabled, running content on 1080/24P/96Hz looks to be much smoother than what's displayed on my older sets. Then again...i am not sure if cable TV actually gives you the content in 24P....hmmm

Are you switching between presets? I know most presets will have some level of this smoothing enabled by default, so if you turn it off in the one preset, the next one you switch to might just have the setting enabled again.

I just got a new Sony Bravia HDTV that has the "soap opera effect" feature which I cant stand. After much research, I read that this effect can be turned off. I dont have a Bluray player yet to try it, but I just got cable tv yesterday and all the HD movies broadcasted here in Hong Kong are supposedly using the soap opera effect turned on (unless it's only my tv).

Does it make sense that a tv company can broadcast an HD movie with the cinemotion/cinema drive/soap opera effect activated from their end, which means there's no way for the subscribers to turn that effect off (aka the way it was meant to be seen in the theater)? Im assuming that one has the control to turn on/off this option when watching a bluray but no option to turn it off when a channel broadcasts a movie like that?

i also have sony bravia , had the same problem when i bought it, its motion flow turn it off should sort the problem