Close Encounters of the Third Kind (4K Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

frankfish44

Cule
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Release date: September 19, 2017
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $24.99

5957508_sa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i hope for your sake it's Italy's art...
I just wish they could use one of the many iconic images OTHER than the Mothership ending.
IMG_8659.JPG

For crying out loud - Spielberg said the image of the boy in the door is his favorite image of his whole career. (The road and Devil's Tower are equally awesome).
The mothership is OBVIOUS, a SPOILER, and LAZY.
Well, at least it isn't the Polish release poster.
This is the ACTUAL Polish poster from 1977 - no joke.
IMG_8660.JPG

I just wish they could use one of the many iconic images OTHER than the Mothership ending.
View attachment 322129
For crying out loud - Spielberg said the image of the boy in the door is his favorite image of his whole career. (The road and Devil's Tower are equally awesome).
The mothership is OBVIOUS, a SPOILER, and LAZY.
Well, at least it isn't the Polish release poster.
This is the ACTUAL Polish poster from 1977 - no joke.
View attachment 322130
Eww wtf is that? :yuck:

I would prefer the Devils Tower for steelbook art. However, if they can use the boy in the door as an art print from someone then that's even better. As long as it's not the actual picture from the movie.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Eww wtf is that? :yuck:

I would prefer the Devils Tower for steelbook art. However, if they can use the boy in the door as an art print from someone then that's even better. As long as it's not the actual picture from the movie.
There's this....but it kind of makes it look like a horror movie.
(I found the image on cinematerial and just added the title)
IMG_8821.JPG

I kind of really like this fan made image. I especially like it because it recalls the first time Roy sees Devil's Tower on TV. I like how the landscape line flows from the background into the TV image.
I may have to make a slipcover of this!!
IMG_8675.JPG

I would probably darken the sky - put in the original font, and lose the taglines in favor or the original
"3 kinds" of encounters tag.
(Didn't have time to do that part)
IMG_8824.JPG

But, really - I would love the original poster as the cover
IMG_8826.JPG

BTW- I have the original poster from 1977 - 90" x 90" !!!!!!
(Except it just says "WE ARE NOT ALONE" instead of the 3 kinds)
It is original lobby poster from a theater. It is YUUUUUGE!!!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
There's this....but it kind of makes it look like a horror movie.
(I found the image on cinematerial and just added the title)
View attachment 322386

I kind of really like this fan made image. I especially like it because it recalls the first time Roy sees Devil's Tower on TV. I like how the landscape line flows from the background into the TV image.
I may have to make a slipcover of this!!
View attachment 322387
I would probably darken the sky - put in the original font, and lose the taglines in favor or the original
"3 kinds" of encounters tag.
(Didn't have time to do that part)
View attachment 322388
But, really - I would love the original poster as the cover
View attachment 322390
BTW- I have the original poster from 1977 - 90" x 90" !!!!!!
(Except it just says "WE ARE NOT ALONE" instead of the 3 kinds)
It is original lobby poster from a theater. It is YUUUUUGE!!!
Yea the fan made one is really cool.
And damn 90x90"? I think you told me about it once before, but still :wow:

Yea the fan made one is really cool.
And damn 90x90"? I think you told me about it once before, but still :wow:
Needless to say - it will be a bear to get framed.
(Its not the actual framing - it is GETTING 90x90 acrylic. But I have someone who says they can do it. I've been dragging my feet on it, though. Lotsa projects in the home!!).

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Night. Interior. Office setting. Jaws Finatic sits at his computer, looking at the video unveiling of the new Best Buy Close Encounters Steelbook.
Slowly lowering his head, his grief over pop art consumes him. It is met with great sadness that this most excellent acheivement in film has to be soiled by a cover art unworthy of it's greatness.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Night. Interior. Office setting. Jaws Finatic sits at his computer, looking at the video unveiling of the new Best Buy Close Encounters Steelbook.
Slowly lowering his head, his grief over pop art consumes him. It is met with great sadness that this most excellent acheivement in film has to be soiled by a cover art unworthy of it's greatness.
Agree, another lazy effort. No excuse for no inside artwork in a steelbook. :(

Maybe someone will give this the premium treatment with some nice slipcover.........?

Do most Popart steelbooks not have interior artwork? I'm not a fan of them in general but I know The Fifth Element popart also doesn't any.

Agree, another lazy effort. No excuse for no inside artwork in a steelbook. :(

Maybe someone will give this the premium treatment with some nice slipcover.........?

With the way steels keep popping up for the same movies, there is at least a fighting chance this could happen. The dream scenario would be someone like HDZeta or @EverythingBlu doing a nice set with art cards and killer slipcover. Throw in a mini poster and, of course, inside artwork, and I'd have to believe, given the magnitude of its audience, that CE3K would sell out in that capacity. Not that I'm Mr.Moneybags or anything. I love the LA CONFIDENTIAL HD ZETA and drooled over the SHAUN OF THE DEAD EB, but lacked the funds to pull the trigger.

Something like CE3K, though, I think I'd have to pull that trigger rather swiftly..

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
upload_2017-9-23_12-14-18.png

Best part of the design for me is the title treatment (steelbook only):-
DKHQOodXkAM3ZKV.jpg:large

Still prefer the UK release from a few years back . . . not so much for its better design . . . but for the traditional CEotTK blue and the embossed title treatment but that one of course didn't have the 4K UHD disc:-
346+Close+Encounters+Steelbook+copy.jpg
354+Close+Encounters+Steelbook+copy.jpg
347+Close+Encounters+Steelbook+copy.jpg
350+Close+Encounters+Steelbook+copy.jpg
353+Close+Encounters+Steelbook+copy.jpg
352+Close+Encounters+Steelbook+copy.jpg
351+Close+Encounters+Steelbook+copy.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Buddusky
Still prefer the UK release from a few years back . . . not so much for its better design . . . but for the traditional CEotTK blue and the embossed title treatment but that one of course didn't have the 4K UHD disc
No, it didn't, but for older titles like that I've been buying the 4K version and placing the 4K disc in the steebook and selling on (or giving away) the spare blu-ray disc. Also saves shelf-space by not having another Amaray case!

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
upload_2017-10-3_11-0-37.png
upload_2017-10-3_11-1-51.png

upload_2017-10-3_11-4-2.png
upload_2017-10-3_11-5-32.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DMgragbUQAINLLL.jpg:large

DMgrb-0UIAA7Act.jpg:large

For something different . . . a little special even, there's this:-
(Close Encounters Ultra HD gift set lights and sounds)
upload_2017-10-18_14-42-5-png.339795

Last edited: