Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: September 14th, 2017
Purchase link: amazon.de
Price: €14.99

91va3BXqNDL._SX466_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually the second release for THREE of these titles, of which I own all, but a beautiful and cohesive series trumps any problem I would have with double-dipping.

I'm not overly keen on the style of these new ones if I'm honest.

That said, I only own the original Creature from the Black Lagoon steelbook as I didn't like the designs of Dracula or The Mummy either and own the coffin boxset anyway. I do love the movies though, especially Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man so as these do match, if the UK gets them then I'll pick them up. Hopefully there'll be one for The Phantom of the Opera too, but I wonder if it'll have a black and white cover even though the film was in colour.

I'm not overly keen on the style of these new ones if I'm honest.

That said, I only own the original Creature from the Black Lagoon steelbook as I didn't like the designs of Dracula or The Mummy either and own the coffin boxset anyway. I do love the movies though, especially Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man so as these do match, if the UK gets them then I'll pick them up. Hopefully there'll be one for The Phantom of the Opera too, but I wonder if it'll have a black and white cover even though the film was in colour.
The original Lon Chaney film WAS in black and white. It came out in the 20s. I know there was a color remake in the 40s sometime, but they were both Universal releases.

The original Lon Chaney film WAS in black and white. It came out in the 20s. I know there was a color remake in the 40s sometime, but they were both Universal releases.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

The Lon Chaney version isn't one of the Universal cycle of horror movies that began in 1931 with Dracula under the guidance of Carl Laemmly Jr. It's the 1943 colour version starring Claude Rains that's always included in the official list and indeed any boxset of the Universal series. The 1925 silent version, often thought of as black and white, but actually colour tinted like Nosferatu, although produced by Carl Laemmly Sr. and distributed by Universal Pictures isn't considered part of the canon.

I don't think Universal even hold home video rights for the movie now anyway, they don't in the UK for sure. I was hoping that it would get a steelbook from Masters of Cinema here, but Eureka! don't have the rights either.

The Universal Monsters release of "Little Big Heads" included Lon Chaney's Phantom and Hunchback as part of their classic monsters line-up. I remember buying this set and being happy that they included these two, as growing up I was obsessed with these films and saw this particular set of characters as the Universal Monsters series.

Wikipedia even states , "Universal Monsters or Universal Horror is a phrase used to describe the horror, suspense and science fiction films made by Universal Studios during the decades of the 1920s through the 1950s. They began with The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Phantom of the Opera, both silent films starring Lon Chaney. Universal continued with talkies including monster franchises Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, The Wolf Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon. The films often featured Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney, Jr."

But it IS Wikipedia, so I can't put too much stock in that. I guess I'll just always like to think of them that way because of my childhood. The 40s one is actually pretty good, but the original black and white is still the classic (I know it's in sepia, but the film wwas produced in black and white and then tinted with color, so monochrome films such as this still fall under the category of "black and white", at least in my book).

So it's confirmed the german editions won't have german text? Or are those the swedish covers? Rather uncommon for german releases, unless universal is using a global art for this series.
Yes, International steelbook art so German covers with English language spine titles for these classic horror films :thumbs:
In this case German titles on the removable "flyers" / C-cards