Custom Marvel Steelbooks

Oct 9, 2017
Some background for reference:
When it comes to my home media collection, I suffer from slight OCD.
I started seriously collecting Marvel home media a few years ago, movies, tv shows, animation etc.
My plan was to ether redesign every single cover of every single DVD and Blu Ray to achieve the uniform nirvana on my shelf, or just use the resources of someone who already did something similar.
So I was staying away from Steelbooks partly for that reason.
I am mainly content collector, I want/need all the extras, all the commentary, all the cuts of the movie etc. , rather than different packaging options.
I did however pick up Phase One and Phase Two of the MCU in their respective collectors edition box sets. Here came the Netflix shows. Which I did want in fancy packaging and decided to go for the steelbooks, besides my OCD kicking me in a back of my head. Jessica Jones was my and still is my first And only steelbook at the moment. (I have missed out on the Daredevil ones unfortunately).
And then came the Spiderman Homecoming, where the only way to get 4K, 3D and normal Blu Ray in one package at least at the moment turned out to be...you guessed it - a Steelbook.
That's where my OCD really kicked in..
And instead of making covers for all the amaray cases - I have decided that I want it ALL in steelbooks.
Original ones where available, and custom ones for the rest.
And here is me experimenting:

For the time being I'm using DVD Steeelbooks as donors as they are cheap to come by.
This is my second attempt where I have tried to achieve a small embossing effect and glossiness.

I've used UV printer.

IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

Last edited:
Tried to make a fully complete steelbook today for the Legion as a real release is very unlikely.
Just waiting for the discs to turn up so I could populate it.
Spine is temporary as I haven't figured out what I want them all to look like in the future.
Had some issues where the clear coat was not curing properly and would result in some random bubbles.
Also it is extremely susceptible to dust while it's curing.!
First picture is of it still being printed, but I can't really showcase it properly, so it's pretty boring.
Last picture is comparing it to the original Steelbook (my first one actually, that arrived today).
It's not perfect by a long shot, but it might do the trick for me.

Comments are appreciated.!

IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0645.JPG

Tried to make a fully complete steelbook today for the Legion as a real release is very unlikely.
Just waiting for the discs to turn up so I could populate it.
Spine is temporary as I haven't figured out what I want them all to look like in the future.
Had some issues where the clear coat was not curing properly and would result in some random bubbles.
Also it is extremely susceptible to dust while it's curing.!
First picture is of it still being printed, but I can't really showcase it properly, so it's pretty boring.
Last picture is comparing it to the original Steelbook (my first one actually, that arrived today).
It's not perfect by a long shot, but it might do the trick for me.

Comments are appreciated.!

View attachment 338464 View attachment 338465 View attachment 338466 View attachment 338467 View attachment 338468 View attachment 338469
Can you print on the inside too?

I need to know what kind of printer you have and to see if I can trick work into ordering one lol

Didn't see the need for photo paper , just a normal printing paper, looks good enough behind the plastic.
Nice. I think I would print the inside of spine though. Don't want to make it too thick with double sided tape, paper, and more double sided tape.

But seriously, can you share what make and model uv printer you're using?

Nice. I think I would print the inside of spine though. Don't want to make it too thick with double sided tape, paper, and more double sided tape.

But seriously, can you share what make and model uv printer you're using?
Yeah, I might do that, just don't want to commit just yet :)

I've used Mimaki JFX200, but I'm sure there are smaller options as this one is a bit of an overkill, lol

• Thanks
Reactions: dfoles
So is the gloss a final step after it prints the image, or does it just use glossy paint?

It goes as follows:

First layer isn't of Primer Ink to better adhere to the substrate.
Second layer is of White Ink to cover the donor Steelbooks artwork.
Third (optional) layer of white for embossing/debossing effects.
Fourth layer is Color Inks of actual Image.
Forth layer is Clear Ink with an option of gloss or matte finish.

Also, populated Legion with discs. :)

IMG_0647.JPG

Reactions: dfoles
It goes as follows:

First layer isn't of Primer Ink to better adhere to the substrate.
Second layer is of White Ink to cover the donor Steelbooks artwork.
Third (optional) layer of white for embossing/debossing effects.
Fourth layer is Color Inks of actual Image.
Forth layer is Clear Ink with an option of gloss or matte finish.

Also, populated Legion with discs. :)

View attachment 338628
That's so great. I found a company nearby that has one of those machines, but I don't know if I could run it for the small amount of printing I would want.

I hope you get the process down and start taking orders :-D give me a printing area template and I'll do my own artwork

Great work man
Lovin the civil war would have looked better with the silver/ grey that the regular print has imo
But still looks awesome in Steelbook