Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Eureka - Masters of Cinema) [UK]

Snollygoster

Creative | YouTube
Premium Supporter
Apr 13, 2012
Release date: January 16, 2017
Purchase links: Eureka - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £21.99 (Zavvi) - £24.99 (Amazon - HMV) - £27.99 (Eureka)
Notes: Limited to 2000 copies

1.jpg

DAS CABINET DES DR CALIGARI, Robert Wiene’s sinister tale of psychosis and murder, set in a warped Gothic landscape, will be released in a 2-disc Blu-ray SteelBook edition featuring the 2014 documentary FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on 16 January 2017.

One of the most iconic masterpieces in cinema history, Robert Wiene's Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari shook filmgoers worldwide and changed the direction of the art form. Now presented in a definitive restoration, the film's chilling, radically expressionist vision is set to grip viewers again.

At a local carnival in a small German town, hypnotist Dr. Caligari presents the somnambulist Cesare, who can purportedly predict the future of curious fairgoers. But at night, the doctor wakes Cesare from his sleep to enact his evil bidding...

Incalculably influential, the film's nightmarishly jagged sets, sinister atmospheric and psychological emphasis left an immediate impact in its wake (horror, film noir, and gothic cinema would all be shaped directly by it). But this diabolical tale nevertheless stands alone - now more mesmerising than ever in this Blu-ray SteelBook edition, along with a bonus Blu-ray disc containing the 2014 documentary From Caligari to Hitler, exploring the social and cultural impact of German Cinema during the Weimar Republic.

SteelBook Special Features:

New high-definition presentation, from the extensive FWMS restoration | Option of Stereo and 5.1 surround scores | Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles | FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses (STEELBOOK EXCLUSIVE) – A 2-hour documentary on German Cinema during the Weimar Republic (1918-1933) | New and exclusive audio commentary by film historian David Kalat | You Must Become Caligari - New video essay by film critic David Cairns | Caligari: The Birth of Horror in the First World War - 52 minute documentary on the cultural and historical impact of the film | On The Restoration - three short video pieces on the film's restoration | Trailer for the release of the new restoration on the film | 44-PAGE BOOKLET featuring vintage writing on the film by Lotte H. Eisner; an original Variety review of the film; and rare archival imagery

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yes! I've been holding off on other editions of this in the hopes that Eureka would do a steelbook to go alongside their Nosferatu.

It's been so long since I ordered a Eureka steelbook that I can't remember where I ordered all of mine from. Does Zavvi usually carry these once they're released?

This I will be pre ordering as soon as Amazon or Zavvi listing goes live
I was going to order the amaray a few months ago and forgot to do an order lucky I did

It's good to see a steelbook release instead

Just watched it again a couple weeks ago--the first time sharing it with my oldest son. I mean, you watch that movie and you think "1920??" Just amazing that when the medium of film was so young, there were already people who could manipulate it so skillfully.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
I will have to buy this because it's one of the greatest films ever made & a masterpiece but all i'm actually gaining for £27.99 is the Steelbook itself as it is identical in content to the Eureka Amaray release which i already have so i may buy this & keep it sealed or sell my amaray either way got to have it ;):drool:

I love the MoC style on the steelbooks. Reduced the print run hugely which is fair enough because other than the 2nd run of Metropolis, Silent Running & Touch of Evil I don't think I paid over £10 for a single one and I think I have all of them except for Rumblefish (and the first Metropolis)

ZAVWEL54 worked for me just now, so I locked in a pre-order, just in case. With the increasing prices on both of their Metropolis steels, I could see this one going pretty quickly.

Reactions: Travis Bickle
I will have to buy this because it's one of the greatest films ever made & a masterpiece but all i'm actually gaining for £27.99 is the Steelbook itself as it is identical in content to the Eureka Amaray release which i already have so i may buy this & keep it sealed or sell my amaray either way got to have it ;):drool:
Not exactly identical; there's a new 2-hour documentary included with the steel.

It's a bit pricey £27.99
I will wait for amazon listing
Zavvi usually list Save: £ they not done that with this release it's not reduced yet I expect that will drop at some stage to £21.99
They have have done for Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis which also has a RRP of £27.99
it's listed as £21.99 (Save: £6.00)

Yes, welcome back Eureka - it's certainly been a while since your Amaray release of this title (more than two years) and at #92 in the collection when we're up to something like #150 today this one has been a long time acomin'.
One for the World Cinema brigade . . . and I don't mind in the slightest that they've used the same brilliant artwork for the upcoming steelbook edition as on the previous Amaray and I do like the orange background previously put to good effect on the "Touch of Evil" steelbook.
105454_large.jpg
167190_large.jpg

Both editions look to have the same Content - still with the 44 page booklet (the film having been fully restored on its 95th Anniversary before the Amaray release - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/the_cabinet_of_dr_caligari_blu-ray.htm).
The only difference I can see at first glance between the two editions is the documentary FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER in the upcoming steelbook.

2014 Amaray details:-
upload_2016-10-26_14-33-12.png

Robert Wiene (not Robert Wise of "The Sound of Music" or "West Side Story" lol).
Conrad Veidt - Great to see him again long before he was the token German in Hollywoodland - excellent as the Nazi in "Casablanca" 1942 (against the equally excellent Claude Rains as police captain Reynaud) and just before that as the wonderfully sinister Grand Vizier Jaffar in the fantastic 1940 version of "The Thief of Bagdad".

Best choice of front artwork for the steelbook out of the few official poster designs that I've seen:-
cabinet_of_dr_caligari_ver2.jpg
cabinet_of_dr_caligari.jpg
cabinet_of_dr_caligari_ver3.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart