Jan 5, 2012
UK
Release date:April 6th
Price:£19.55
Link: Amazon.co.uk

81zB4fWPUOL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snowblood
@cooey Nice find mate, i want to get all of the Slasher Classic Collection too. Could you get hold of your contact & find out the number of this title and for the Hospital Massacer? Cheers :thumbs:

Reactions: cooey
By the way- it's based on a 1940's B movie called MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS.
(And there is even a key character in DOW called Julie Rose!):thumbs:

Now u taught me something. I didn' know that. Ty :)

Which is one of Mary Steenburgen's three characters in DOW.

It is only a small film made on a miniscule budget; but it is way better than the sum its parts.
Anyone who hasn't seen it really should.

Now I'm wondering what the original version was like . . . . .

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Now u taught me something. I didn' know that. Ty :)

Which is one of Mary Steenburgen's three characters in DOW.

It is only a small film made on a miniscule budget; but it is way better than the sum its parts.
Anyone who hasn't seen it really should.

Now I'm wondering what the original version was like . . . . .
image.gif

Reactions: JackRegan
Sir Laurence Olivier - SLEUTH (1972).:naughty::thumbs:
My favorite movie BTW!:)

Actually Michael Caine delivers the line, but I'll let you off :) ;)

Bloody love that film, and to a lesser extend its cousin: Deathtrap: Michael Caine and the late Christopher Reeve. :cigar:

Now, who's for a 4 k restoration of both (though I'd settle for 2k) and lovely steelbook treatment. Dammit, if FA did a hardbox with both films I'd likely break my vows and buy it :) :thumbs::thumbs:

Actually Michael Caine delivers the line, but I'll let you off :) ;)

Bloody love that film, and to a lesser extend its cousin: Deathtrap: Michael Caine and the late Christopher Reeve. :cigar:

Now, who's for a 4 k restoration of both (though I'd settle for 2k) and lovely steelbook treatment. Dammit, if FA did a hardbox with both films I'd likely break my vows and buy it :) :thumbs::thumbs:
I've written several letter to Criterion telling them that SLEUTH deserves the red carpet treatment.
(Hell, both Cain & Olivier were up for Best Actor and Mankowicz for Director).
It's a perfect film! Yes, DEATHTRAP was warmed over SLEUTH, but enjoyable (and not nearly as witty).
But I LOVE chamber pieces. I eat up stuff like MURDER BY DEATH, ROPE, DIAL M FOR MURDER, CLUE, NOISES OFF, etc. (hell, I even love John Landis' OSCAR!).
And even though I mostly love Kenneth Branagh's work, the remake was an abomination that should never have happened. (I think his DEAD AGAIN, is underappreciated movie people should see, though).
Another great one in the chamber piece ensemble: Polanski's DEATH AND THE MAIDEN.
P.S. I would Buy Jolly Jack Tarr the Sailor automaton in a heartbeat if I could!!
Also - it's a shame we didn't get to see more film work from Alec Cawthorne....:p

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan
I've written several letter to Criterion telling them that SLEUTH deserves the red carpet treatment.
(Hell, both Cain & Olivier were up for Best Actor and Mankowicz for Director).
It's a perfect film! Yes, DEATHTRAP was warmed over SLEUTH, but enjoyable (and not nearly as witty).
But I LOVE chamber pieces. I eat up stuff like MURDER BY DEATH, ROPE, DIAL M FOR MURDER, CLUE, NOISES OFF, etc. (hell, I even love John Landis' OSCAR!).
And even though I mostly love Kenneth Branagh's work, the remake was an abomination that should never have happened. (I think his DEAD AGAIN, is underappreciated movie people should see, though).
Another great one in the chamber piece ensemble: Polanski's DEATH AND THE MAIDEN.
P.S. I would Buy Jolly Jack Tarr the Sailor automaton in a heartbeat if I could!!
Also - it's a shame we didn't get to see more film work from Alec Cawthorne....:p

Oh yes dear Alec, a star in the making :) Wonder whatever happened to him:naughty:

Yes, I can sit happily through all of those.
I am a great fan of Polanski, right back to Kinfe in the Water, and particularly Repulsion, in which Catherine Deneuve is not only beautiful, but fabulous in her depiction of somone descending into madness. And then there is ChinaTown, of course . . . .
Dead Again is really a cracking piece. But I think it came at a time when people had begun to hate Ken, and thus very negative reviews.

Interesting fact about the automatons in the film, and true.
I went to school with Clive Tattersall, whose Dad made them for this, and many other films. It was his life's passion, and their house was always in turmoil, as he built them at home, here in the village. Lovely man, now long gone.
He even made one for another schoolfriend's Father who had a woodware business.
It was an automaton of Cyril, whose business, it was, and sat in the window of their door shop for many years.

Last edited:
Oh yes dear Alec, a star in the making :) Wonder whatever happened to him:naughty:

Yes, I can sit happily through all of those.
I am a great fan of Polanski, right back to Kinfe in the Water, and particularly Repulsion, in which Catherine Deneuve is not only beautiful, but fabulous in her depiction of somone descending into madness. And then there is ChinaTown, of course . . . .
Dead Again is really a cracking piece. But I think it came at a time when people had begun to hate Ken, and thus very negative reviews.

Interesting fact about the automatons in the film, and true.
I went to school with Clive Tattersall, whose Dad made them for this, and many other films. It was his life's passion, and their house was always in turmoil, as he built them at home, here in the village. Lovely man, now long gone.
He even made one for another schoolfriend's Father who had a woodware business.
It was an automaton of Cyril, whose business, it was, and sat in the window of their door shop for many years.
THAT must have been a fun house to visit! I'm sure all the automatons from that film are in the hands of collectors already (I hope, instead of lost). Chances are if they ever came up at auction they would be very expensive, though. I rememeber growing up watching that film, how much I wanted to live in Andrew Wyke's house! All the bloody games!!:rofl:
P.S. By singling out Alec Cawthorne - I did not mean to downplay the great work of the other great supporting players: John Matthews as Detective Sergeant Tarrant, Eve Channing as Marguerite, and Teddy Martin as Police Constable Higgs were also excellent.:naughty:

Last edited: