Earth
Release date: September 14, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon.de
Price: €34.99

61Kwl1Ts-tL._SY550_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: toratora
That better be a joke :cautious:

It wasn't an objectively bad film- the script left something to be desired- but Adam Wingard's style and flare as a director carried the movie.
It wasn't great- but I'd put it on par with Kong: Skull Island, and The Atomic Blonde- two other 'style over substance' films that I would grade in the same calibre as the 2017 Death Note.

Besides- I mean- come on- the Japanese film adaptations are laughably awful... we all know that, right? So it's not like you can say that the Adam Wingard one is the 'bad one'. xD

It wasn't an objectively bad film- the script left something to be desired- but Adam Wingard's style and flare as a director carried the movie.
It wasn't great- but I'd put it on par with Kong: Skull Island, and The Atomic Blonde- two other 'style over substance' films that I would grade in the same calibre as the 2017 Death Note.

Besides- I mean- come on- the Japanese film adaptations are laughably awful... we all know that, right? So it's not like you can say that the Adam Wingard one is the 'bad one'. xD
I liked You're Next. I absolutely loved The Guest. So i was looking forward to what he could do to Death Note with his style. But he didnt deliver. I was disappointed. I'm not saying Death Note was sh*t. But as an adaptation it sucked. Went way too off from source material. However, if you forget that and just judge it on it's own, then it's just below average. I'm just not hopeful for a steelbook. Because i wouldnt recommend the movie to anyone. I would recommend The Guest to anyone in a heartbeat though :)

Skull Island was entertaining. I wouldnt put it on par with Death Note. I wasnt bored during Skull Island. I wanted to see more of Kong. I wanted to see the people interacting with Kong more. I didnt feel any of that during Death Note. I wasnt invested. It was more like when is this gonna end? Heheh :p
Atomic Blonde? Well, the action sequences were great, but the rest of the movie, like Death Note, was just meh.

I've only seen the first Japanese live action movie. But i thought it was good. I mean as far as adapting the source, it stayed true. And i liked how they did Ryuk. What else were you expecting?
If i had to pick an issue, I'd say i wanted to see an unexpected twist but there weren't any. I've already seen the anime so i knew exactly what was gonna happen. I guess I wanted the same with Adam Wingard since he did that with You're Next and The Guest. I thought he'd be perfect, but nope! :D

I liked You're Next. I absolutely loved The Guest. So i was looking forward to what he could do to Death Note with his style. But he didnt deliver. I was disappointed. I'm not saying Death Note was sh*t. But as an adaptation it sucked. Went way too off from source material. However, if you forget that and just judge it on it's own, then it's just below average. I'm just not hopeful for a steelbook. Because i wouldnt recommend the movie to anyone. I would recommend The Guest to anyone in a heartbeat though :)

Skull Island was entertaining. I wouldnt put it on par with Death Note. I wasnt bored during Skull Island. I wanted to see more of Kong. I wanted to see the people interacting with Kong more. I didnt feel any of that during Death Note. I wasnt invested. It was more like when is this gonna end? Heheh :p
Atomic Blonde? Well, the action sequences were great, but the rest of the movie, like Death Note, was just meh.

I've only seen the first Japanese live action movie. But i thought it was good. I mean as far as adapting the source, it stayed true. And i liked how they did Ryuk. What else were you expecting?
If i had to pick an issue, I'd say i wanted to see an unexpected twist but there weren't any. I've already seen the anime so i knew exactly what was gonna happen. I guess I wanted the same with Adam Wingard since he did that with You're Next and The Guest. I thought he'd be perfect, but nope! :D

Yeah- again, I think the failings of Death Note (2017) were due to the script.
I'm frankly glad that it differed heavily from the source material- and I honestly couldn't care less if a film is "accurate". I dislike adaptations if they fail on their individual merits- and pay no regard to whether or not it stayed true. The Japanese Death Note films- yes, while accurate- they're poorly directed, laughably scored, over-acted, and just flat to look at in terms of cinematography... the fact that Ryuk looked like a Super Sentai villain only worsened the effect.

My opinion is- when making an anime in to a film- that there is no conceivable way that you could possibly condense a 26 episode story arc in to a 2 hour film- and more to the point- why would you want to? The original anime still exists, and since an anime is the best medium to tell a story of that length- then why change it? I was excited for, and defend the differences of the 2017 Death Note film because it follows a very intriguing idea, because instead of copying exactly what the anime did (which honestly would have been boring because I've already SEEN the anime)- you place the concept and the ideas in the hands of a creative director- and place your faith in them that they will deliver a project that uses themes and ideas from the source material- while at the same time, adding their own style that make them distinctive as a director.

In a way- I would liken the 2017 Death Note to Logan- not to say that Death Note is as good as Logan (because it's not)- but because Logan did not regard it's source material, and it was unapologetic in the fact that it was first and foremost a James Mangold film- and a comic book film second. Death Note also took minimal elements from the source material, and crafted itself as an Adam Wingard film first, and an anime adaptation second- it obviously didn't work quite as well as I think everyone had intended- but in theory, it's the same practice.

The Death Note (2017) film fails in dialogue as well as on some character beats- and I harken it to Kong: Skull Island and The Atomic Blonde because those two films also failed to engage me on a level that made me invested in the characters. However, the Death Note (2017) film had the visual distinction and vibe that Adam Wingard used in The Guest (also a personal favorite of mine)- with neon lighting and fluid camera movement to make a surreal aspect- both things which I think elevate the Death Note (2017) film from the mess that it could have been.