Death Wish (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: April 9, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order March 25 around 6 PM UK time)
Price: £15.99

11715455-9884565173338297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not Bronson's arm lol :facepalm:, once you see it...

Should be £11.99 max. You can get the amaray at Zoom for around £7.
Same steelbook as USA
Best Buy as an example is $14.99

The other steelbooks from this panasonic wave that are not 4K are same price £15.99 in the UK
Steelbooks cost more than Amarays for obvious reasons

Prices in europe is more expensive than USA
VAT is one of the reasons and Staff wages are higher

I got delivery of the steelbook from USA this evening
I will post photos tomorrow when it's daylight

This movie hasn't aged well at all.

Big miss in my eyes...
To me this film still has repeat viewing and has aged well
It's a classic

Death Wish 1 and Death Wish 2 are very good films the later ones are a bit average
I like Death Wish 3 also but not as much as 1 and 2

Death Wish is a product of its time. I'd say it has aged in the same way that Dirty Harry and The French Connection have.

I wouldn't even say it was a classic, but it is a film I enjoy. Possibly helped by the status it gained here in the UK by being unavailable for years. Like A Clockwork Orange it was never officially banned, just unreleased by the studio for home video after its original pre-cert VHS.

I just bought the US steelbook that comes with a DVD (I doubt the UK release will have one) for the same price and I'm happy with that. I wouldn't get any of the sequels (even though I like all of them for different reasons) as they're not really worth spending money on.

Uncut, same as US?
Yes Death Wish 1974 is uncut on home media on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK
UK 2000 Vhs release had some cuts

All previous censorship was waived in 2006.
All later VHS versions after this as well as all later DVD releases in the UK are uncensored.

It's Death Wish 2 (1982) that has cut and uncut versions on home media
It's more violent of a film with some scenes cut

I have both the cut and uncut editions of Death Wish 2 on DVD and Blu-ray

A lot get the Death Wish 1974 and Death Wish 2 (1982) mixed up when it comes to which film is cut on home media

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Yes Death Wish 1974 is uncut on home media on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK
UK 2000 Vhs release had some cuts

All previous censorship was waived in 2006.
All later VHS versions after this as well as all later DVD releases in the UK are uncensored.

It's Death Wish 2 (1982) that has cut and uncut versions on home media
It's more violent of a film with some scenes cut

I have both the cut and uncut editions of Death Wish 2 on DVD and Blu-ray

A lot get the Death Wish 1974 and Death Wish 2 (1982) mixed up when it comes to which film is cut on home media
cool thanks, any source for this information?

cool thanks, any source for this information?
Me I'm the source :p :rofl:
2000 release was the cut version
BBFC waived all cuts to Death Wish 1974 in 2006

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/death-wish-1974#relatedWorks

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/death-wish-video-0

Title
DEATH WISH
Title Information
Uncut version
Year
Distributor(s)
Paramount Home Entertainment (UK)
Classified date(s)
01/06/2006
Main language
English
Submitted run time
93m 21s
BBFC reference
CVF024018
Remarks
All previous cuts waived

Reactions: monterock
Death Wish is a product of its time. I'd say it has aged in the same way that Dirty Harry and The French Connection have.

I wouldn't even say it was a classic, but it is a film I enjoy. Possibly helped by the status it gained here in the UK by being unavailable for years. Like A Clockwork Orange it was never officially banned, just unreleased by the studio for home video after its original pre-cert VHS.

I just bought the US steelbook that comes with a DVD (I doubt the UK release will have one) for the same price and I'm happy with that. I wouldn't get any of the sequels (even though I like all of them for different reasons) as they're not really worth spending money on.

I love the Dirty Harry films, I think they've aged much much better, they have just the right amount of ham but Death Wish turns it up to eleven.

I mean, this is a perfect moment! :D

Yes, many films from the 1960s and particularly from the 1970s have aged terribly and could now be best described as "period pieces" with atrocious fashions featured - kipper ties with vomitrocious patterns, platform boots for guys, flared and bell-bottom trousers, shirt collars that with a strong gust of wind could send you airborne plus those shaggy hairstyles ...
The home décor of the period - with its pinks, oranges, greens and browns - defies rational and polite description.

There's also the attitudes of the times which should make a modern audience sit up, squirm and utter sotto voce WTF comments on the way women and indeed animals were treated ... not just in films but in adverts and in mainstream TV shows.
Women would have their bums spanked on TV series' like "The Saint" and animals would be dressed up as humans and coralled into participating in the famous tea parties at London Zoo ... as well as appearing in humorous TV ads for PG Tips etc.:-

Nowadays, when anything from '70s TV is repeated or put on disc there will be warnings on the back of the case along the lines of "Contains scenes of smoking" (or "This film contains colonial attitudes") ... not surprising considering something like 45% of the UK population smoked at the time compared to something like 20% now.
Politically incorrect and downright offensive stereotypes were everywhere in mainstream TV shows like "The Goodies" and comedians such as Spike Milligan would happily colour their faces and mimic accents of other nationalities. Films/TV series like "Love Thy Neighbour" - full of racist terminology and insults - could never be made today ... thankfully.

Putting that all to one side there's still plenty there for modern audiences to appreciate and enjoy in the films of the time, not least the cool performances of the leads of the day such as Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin and nowadays the '70s are celebrated for a whole bunch of first class thrillers and epic disaster movies with probably CHARLEY VARRICK my favourite followed by the most stylish revengers of them all - DR. PHIBES and THEATRE OF BLOOD - with the incomparable Vincent Price involved in dispatching people in such gloriously OTT ways not seen again until the FINAL DESTINATION films.
Other notable thrillers of the period include ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, THE PARALLAX VIEW, DUEL, DELIVERANCE, STRAW DOGS, PLAY MISTY FOR ME, THE GODFATHER I & II, BADLANDS, THE WICKER MAN, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL, TAXI DRIVER, THE DAY OF THE JACKAL, WESTWORLD, COMA, FRENZY, THE ODESSA FILE, CHINATOWN, SERPICO, THE CONVERSATION, TWO-MINUTE WARNING, JAWS, THE CHINA SYNDROME, THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE, THE TOWERING INFERNO and MARATHON MAN with the rarely seen THE INTERNECINE PROJECT as runner up.

In truth when I recall the '70s - the decade that taste forgot I think someone once said - I recall the famous *Harry Lime speech in THE THIRD MAN as, mixed in with the messiness of the decade and the industrial unrest resulting in extended power cuts throughout the UK leading to "The Winter of Discontent", the 1970s produced some of the best music of any decade from pioneering electronic rock groups such as Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schultz, Kraftwerk and Pink Floyd to the thrills of disco and punk.
Also saw the appearance of the Sony Walkman, the first mobile phone bricks and Post-It notes among other essential items.

* "Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

As for the pistol in the steelbook artwork: OK not a completely accurate representation (lol) yet not as bad as the Tommy gun artwork on the front of the recent SCARFACE steelbook.
As far as I can make out it's a nickel plated Colt Python .357 Magnum similar to the standard model used in DEATH WISH 4: THE CRACKDOWN used by a gang member ... not used by Paul Kersey and not seen in DEATH WISH 1.
upload_2018-3-26_4-6-12.png
upload_2018-3-26_3-46-49.png

Paul Kersey's gun in this DEATH WISH steelbook artwork should look like this - in other words, a .32 Colt Police Positive ... he used this revolver to dispatch ten street muggers:-
upload_2018-3-26_3-49-1.png

upload_2018-3-26_3-51-39.png
upload_2018-3-26_4-16-59.png
upload_2018-3-26_4-17-36.png

Last edited: