Disney Wins Bidding War to Buy 21st Century Fox; Acquisition Complete

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
CNBC reports that 21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of its company to Disney, which would include the feature film and television divisions, meaning Star Wars: A New Hope would officially be owned by Lucasfilm/Disney. It would also mean that every major Marvel Comics property that Fox owns—including X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool—would potentially come under the Marvel Studios umbrella, opening the door to combine these various characters and universes with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This is very early and CNBC notes that at this very moment, the two companies aren’t talking. But apparently there’s been an on again/off again relationship with these negotiations, so they could resume at any minute. And indeed, this CNBC story feels like a leak intended to move the conversation along.

21st Century Fox’s management is under the belief that they can’t compete with the media scale of other studios, and that Disney has the scale necessary to take its film and television productions to new heights.

But 21st Century Fox wouldn’t sell all of its company. By offloading its media properties, the studio would keep a tight focus on news and sports. Since a company can’t own two broadcast networks, Fox would remain under the 21st Century Fox control/umbrella, as would the Fox sports programming as Disney believes joining forces between ESPN and Fox Sports could be seen as anti-competitive from an antitrust standpoint. The same reasoning relates to their decision not to buy Fox News or Fox Business, which would also remain with 21st Century Fox.

But Disney would own the movie studio, TV production and international assets, and networks such as FX and National Geographic. The movie implications are the largest here, at least from a consumer standpoint.

Source: Collider

Attachments

• disney_mouse_bite_fox_illo.jpg
    disney_mouse_bite_fox_illo.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 281
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlienKing
Guys, This news is HUGE if it happens for the MCU.
The possibility of Marvel getting almost all of its characters back. They could finally make a good Fantastic Four film. Deadpool could crossover with Spider-Man. The possibilities are endless.

Hmm am I only the one who isn't too happy about this news? I seriously don't want to see the X-Men merge with the Avengers (I'm bored of them now), and I actually prefer Fox's Marvel films to Disney's. Plus Deadpool wouldn't be Deadpool in Disney's hands... they'd never in a million years do an R rated film. (n)

@tridon I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this, since I know you're a huge X-Men fan.

Hmm am I only the one who isn't too happy about this news? I seriously don't want to see the X-Men merge with the Avengers (I'm bored of them now), and I actually prefer Fox's Marvel films to Disney's. Plus Deadpool wouldn't be Deadpool in Disney's hands... they'd never in a million years do an R rated film. (n)

@tridon I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this, since I know you're a huge X-Men fan.

Straight up, I hate this news. This is the worst possible news for the X-Men and I'll tell you why...

1) Fox is finally figuring out what REALLY works for the X-films. You want a PG-13 Deadpool? 'Cause that's probably what you'll get if he's at Marvel Studios.

2) Recasting. So many of the X-Men characters are cast perfectly right now and after the Spidey recasting with Homecoming, you just know they'll recast (that includes recasting Deadpool).

3) Marvel Studios has too much going on as it is. I LOVE the X-films and I'm exastatic to see three new films next year. With Marvel Studios essentially booked right to 2020, you won't be seeing any mutants very often.

4) The X-books have always been in a darker, more realistic world and the movies play out the same way. I don't want to see GotG/Ragnarok colours and comedy in the X-films (unless it was an X-Statix film).

Now, I'd be fine with seeing the Fantastic Four revert back, but only because I REALLY want to see the Silver Surfer and Galactus among the cosmic characters of the MCU.

And what would this mean for other great Fox properties like Alien, Predator, and Die Hard? I don't want a PG-13 Alien, thank you very much. And Disney has a hard enough time with their live-action films as it is (the ones outside of the MCU and Star Wars). I mean, they canned TRON 3. I don't see them throwing big bucks at Alien and Predator unless they can market them to a younger audience. That idea = barf.

So yeah... no thanks. Disney doesn't need to own EVERY damn studio these days. Next they'll buy out Sony or Paramount.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Straight up, I hate this news. This is the worst possible news for the X-Men and I'll tell you why...

1) Fox is finally figuring out what REALLY works for the X-films. You want a PG-13 Deadpool? 'Cause that's probably what you'll get if he's at Marvel Studios.

2) Recasting. So many of the X-Men characters are cast perfectly right now and after the Spidey recasting with Homecoming, you just know they'll recast (that includes recasting Deadpool).

3) Marvel Studios has too much going on as it is. I LOVE the X-films and I'm exastatic to see three new films next year. With Marvel Studios essentially booked right to 2020, you won't be seeing any mutants very often.

4) The X-books have always been in a darker, more realistic world and the movies play out the same way. I don't want to see GotG/Ragnarok colours and comedy in the X-films (unless it was an X-Statix film).

Now, I'd be fine with seeing the Fantastic Four revert back, but only because I REALLY want to see the Silver Surfer and Galactus among the cosmic characters of the MCU.

And what would this mean for other great Fox properties like Alien, Predator, and Die Hard? I don't want a PG-13 Alien, thank you very much. And Disney has a hard enough time with their live-action films as it is (the ones outside of the MCU and Star Wars). I mean, they canned TRON 3. I don't see them throwing big bucks at Alien and Predator unless they can market them to a younger audience. That idea = barf.

So yeah... no thanks. Disney doesn't need to own EVERY damn studio these days. Next they'll buy out Sony or Paramount.
giphy.gif

This will get blocked.
This is bordering on monopoly. Anti trust suits will happen.
(Not to mention it would be awful for the film industry)
View attachment 343318
I hope you're right. :ohno:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and C.C. 95
giphy.gif

I hope you're right. :ohno:
Am I the only one who notices and misses the mid majors?
Where are the movies like The Fugitive, Being John Malkovich, Witness, A Few Good Men, Heat, etc.?
They don't get made anymore by major studios.
It's like we are only dining on desserts, and there are no steak and potatoes.
I like spectacle as much as the next person - but not every movie.
If I'm going to a desert island, I am taking The Fugitive before Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Godfather before The Avengers.
P.s. In today's environment- The Godfather would never get greenlit.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Am I the only one who notices and misses the mid majors?
Where are the movies like The Fugitive, Being John Malkovich, Witness, A Few Good Men, Heat, etc.?
They don't get made anymore by major studios.
It's like we are only dining on desserts, and there are no steak and potatoes.
Nope, you're definitely not alone... films like that are the reason why the 90s was my favourite decade for cinema.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
I'm curious... why do people think if Disney owned fox they would never make any rated R movies?

Disney has made MANY rated R movies over the years under Touchstone Pictures.

I'm curious... why do people think if Disney owned fox they would never make any rated R movies?

Disney has made MANY rated R movies over the years under Touchstone Pictures.
Nothing to do with R Rated material.
Has to do with Tentpoles, brands, franchises, and IPs over good content.

I'm interested to see how Jessica Chastain's character in Dark Phoenix plays out in the entire scheme of things. Part of me hope for her to be a segue into the MCU and if this was a play that was done on purpose (which also tells me this deal has been happening for longer than we know). Because, we all know what's coming for the next MARVEL Phase.
SECRET INVASION!

I think they will leave Deadpool alone. Can't say the same for the X-Men though. Fantastic Four is the one they NEED to get right. Such a key franchise that introduced so many important characters.

MAYBE WE GET AN ILLUMINATI FILM?!!

giphy.gif