Doctor Strange (Lenticular) (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: October 16, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (pre-order 6PM BST Sunday 24th)
Price: £24.99
Notes: Embossing/debossing on front and back

11557668-1904518004558221.jpg

11557668-1614518004778355.jpg
11557668-1954518005076666.jpg

Last edited:
I'm lucky now If I get any Zavvi releases within a week and I live in Belfast. Not so long ago it was only a few days and remember there's a hurricane on the way which doesn't help on Sunday Night/ Monday morning but at least Michael Fish isn't doing the forecast this time!. Which reminds me, will he go into hiding tomorrow?

Ordered with tracked shipping but didn't get any tracking number..
Still waiting for a reply from the support..

So why do they offer it and charge 3,99£ ?
Order details says tracked delivery.
I honestly have no idea. I always select tracked delivery (because it was free at that moment) and still do btw, and they are always shipped normally. After contacting support multiple times about it, I stopped asking.

This steelbook I have also ordered with tracking and has been ignored.

Yes, received my copy of both too - may not be perfect or as hoped for vis-a-vis the finish . . . but I think this one looks pretty neat.

ARTWORK:
- Yes, the exterior artwork is woefully lacking in imagination . . . the interior is gorgeous however.

FINISH:
- The zero finish was expected . . . maybe too much to hope for that these two would be the ones to break the Disney Marvel lenticular mold and turn up full gloss.

COLOURS:
- Yes, the colours are very muted . . . very autumnal . . . with the only slither of primary being the red of the cape and the blue of the tunic. Very elegant and classy in an understated way.

TREATMENT:
- Totally excellent with embossing not just to the title but to Doctor Strange as well - both front and back . . . if we didn't have prior knowledge - thanks to the embossing templates recently revealed by Zavvi - these would be a massively happy surprise especially when compared to the previous Disney Marvel lenticular steelbooks with embossing of the titles as far as they went and the best that could be hoped for.

LENTICULAR:
- Definitely a very poor choice of image for the lenti treatment - when there are other Doctor Strange images more suited to the 3D treatment - with this image looking ridiculous and confusing to the eye.
Yes, the doctor in the foreground gives a sense of 3D against the window or rather part of the window but as the rest of the window is not on the lenticular and in the foreground it all looks a bit "strange".
- Bit lousy when compared to the SPIDER-MAN lenti steelbooks from Sony and the HULK steelbooks from Universal.
- Lines up fine . . . although with the embossing coming directly off the frame . . . it does not sit flush and moves around more than it should.

Conclusion:
Message to Disney Marvel:
- Enough already with the lenticulars . . . you're never going to produce a really good 'un.
- Just full gloss your Marvel steelbooks
. . . and keep the 'bossing on both sides . . . then you'll have steelbooks to match the best in the world.

Got this today as well, steelbook is good, nice embossing, matte finish just the same as the usual Marvel Lentis, and the Lenti is also like the previous Lentis, ie, crap. There is no depth in Dr Strange himself, completely flat, just a cardboard cutout, but that's enough about Cumberbatch's portrayal of him in the film, as for the Lenti, oh yes, it's exactly the same, so just like the film...