Sep 13, 2012
Warwick, UK
Release date: February 6, 2017
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £22.99 (Amazon) - £24.99 (Zavvi)

910-Kq-kZVL._SL1500_.jpg
81t0-6oX2cL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
“Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks” The Collector's Limited Edition Steelbook includes the black & white animation on both Blu-Ray and DVD, and now features the colourised version.

Ordered for now, although I see it doesn't state that it's an Amazon exclusive, so we might see it on sale elsewhere to compare prices.

I don't mind one or two lost episodes animated but a complete 6 part story with audio recordings of the original show, I'm not sure.
Yes, an animated reconstruction of a lost Doctor #2 story . . . it's hard not to think the BBC is scraping the bottom of the barrel for Classic Who. And on top of that, releasing this to cinemas, and then as a blu-ray steelbook. It all seems a little silly.

However--this is a really stylin' steelbook, so I'm probably in. :)

By no means do I want a steelbook for each classic Who story, but what would be really nice is if they'd do a special run of one steelbook for each Doctor, maybe with a few of the best stories. Kind of like the Revisited series, but in steelbooks. I would love that.

Interesting release, I heard there will be a colour version for the Blu-ray release, wish episodes survived, still hope they find them some how.

Yes, an animated reconstruction of a lost Doctor #2 story . . . it's hard not to think the BBC is scraping the bottom of the barrel for Classic Who. And on top of that, releasing this to cinemas, and then as a blu-ray steelbook. It all seems a little silly.

However--this is a really stylin' steelbook, so I'm probably in. :)

By no means do I want a steelbook for each classic Who story, but what would be really nice is if they'd do a special run of one steelbook for each Doctor, maybe with a few of the best stories. Kind of like the Revisited series, but in steelbooks. I would love that.
I've every BBC DVD release up to the end of Tom Bakers run so I'll probably add this at some stage. Might not be the steelbook version though.

Interesting release, I heard there will be a colour version for the Blu-ray release, wish episodes survived, still hope they find them some how.
I think the fact that the BBC have gone to the trouble of animating all 6 episodes tells me they know the originals are lost forever. Of course they have themselves to blame for that.

It seems ridiculous that they're making a big deal about a colour version. It's animated--of course they can animate it in colour if they want to! They could make it 3D or VR if they really wanted to.

I don't mind one or two lost episodes animated but a complete 6 part story with audio recordings of the original show, I'm not sure.

100% taking the piss as far as I'm concerned. Saw it on it's original transmission and that's the only version I want to see again. But thanks to Terry Nation it won't happen!

100% taking the piss as far as I'm concerned. Saw it on it's original transmission and that's the only version I want to see again. But thanks to Terry Nation it won't happen!

Huh?

The episodes were junked by the BBC back in the day. If they hadn't been, or if the episodes had turned up in some far-off country like others did then we'd have had it on DVD years. As it is, this will have to do.

The BBC between approximately 1967 and 1978, large quantities of videotape and film stored in the BBC's Engineering department and film libraries, respectively, were wiped or destroyed to make way for newer programmes.

This was in the days before we had VHS/DVD so it was a common decision by lot of TV studios back then to delete old film stock in the days before we got to purchase TV shows on VHS/DVD

It was different with Film Studios they kept films masters but even with some of these over time depending on type of film negative got destroyed.

Some releases come from private collectors who had the original video sourced by various means but these can be of poor quality or good quality when it's poor quality re master is of no point to be done

Unfortunately Terry Nation's copyright of the Daleks and trying to sell the Daleks to the American market at the time meant that the last few stories of season 4 were only ever sold to 2 countries so the odds of seeing the remainder of season 4 are pretty much zero. You have more chance of winning the lottery than any of the remainder of season 4 turning up. I have hopes that other stuff from season 5 may turn up some day but not season 4. Sadly the BBC are a very very efficient organization and they would have been very very precise in wiping and using old tapes and destroying unwanted material so the task of finding missing material becomes even harder. So unless there's another Bob Monkhouse lurking out there, no chance. And lets be honest it would be pretty much impossible for a private collector to not know it's important. Also with the constant public appeals for missing stuff unless you're a hermit living in Mongolia any collectors would know about such appeals.

Last edited:
As a collector of steelbooks it doesn't really matter to me what's inside . . . and this steelbook sure is a "looker".
Love those colours and the design with the wraparound artwork :thumbs:
Ordered now - plenty of time to cancel if available cheaper elsewhere.

Artwork design by Stuart Manning - more info here:-
https://www.facebook.com/stuartmdesign

• Helpful Post
Reactions: bigfub