Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $27.38
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

1.jpg

• Limited Edition SteelBook (2000 copies), featuring artwork by Candice Tripp
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
  • Original 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
  • Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
  • Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, director of photography Steven Poster,
  • The Goodbye Place, Kelly's 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
  • Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
  • Trailer

Last edited:
Cinema box office in USA was low due to couple of factors
The film's advertising featuring a crashing plane before 9/11 attacks
Film was released into cinemas a month after 9/11 attacks in 2001 and only seen in a small number of cinemas and by then was scarcely advertised due to what happened on 9/11

Word of mouth spread about the film but by then was not available to be seen in the cinema in USA

When released on Dvd in the USA in 2002 it was a runaway success over 10 million in sales and that success brought about the director's cut getting a release in 2004
That 10 million in Dvd sales was USA market

The international market was also the same home media sales was also very strong

Word of mouth after cinema release was what led to the home media success and later cult following has added to this to give healthy sales on Blu-ray
hell they put it back in theatres this year even it did so well in home video release. Its a shame that it was again a small theatre number

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
hell they put it back in theatres this year even it did so well in home video release. Its a shame that it was again a small theatre number
Film re-releases into cinemas years after an original cinema release is often only shown in limited number of theatres and film festivals for short periods with independent film releases

It's really only the big blockbusters films from the major film studios that get wide cinema re-releases in lot of theatres for decent period of time and even some of these can also be limited to 1 or 2 cinemas theatres for 1 day to a few days only

The small independent cinemas can be often best place to see a film from years ago especially a theatre known for showing cult films

Don't really want to pre order at that price (I know it will change but I'd rather order from the UK)

Reactions: Noodles
I think stygians reply was a play on your wording (judging by the winky face!)

Technically you'll always be ordering from the UK if you're based there ;)

Oh, wasn't even paying attention. Had just woke up and half expecting a lecture on how to use a Zavvi code :dunno:;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
Well, you would think that with only 2,000 copies available . . . plus classic poster on the front and similarly framed back art w/ minimal text . . . this would be gone in a matter of hours not days . . . but that price of $40 (yikes!) and the 1-disc listing of TC disc only at MVD (double yikes!) may hold things back . . . for a few mins. (lol) https://mvdb2b.com/s/DonnieDarkoLimitedEditionSteelbook/AV117

upload_2017-9-28_11-31-7.png

Region "A" locked would be good news. . . leading to the obvious conclusion that the remaining 2,000 units will be released here in region "B" UK.. . .
I mean to say, Arrow is a business at the beginning and end of the day. and if you've got a surefire bona fide cult classic on your hands you'd better make the most of if. . . stands to reason.

I'm guessing the Inside art will be the two images remaining:-
upload_2017-9-28_11-38-9.png

Director's Cut is crap - so no loss there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect the price to drop before it's released... Amazon often do that.

I'll be passing unless it's released in the UK anyway.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
^^ pretty sure there's more than 2 images remaining from that batch of artwork

RE: INSIDE ART OF STEELBOOK
7 postcards/artcards to choose from for the inside art - IF in same style as outside - with my two choices being (a) and (f) . . . and, yes, the mail box is there twice . . .
(a) ----------------------------------------------------- (b) ----------------------------------------------------- (c) -------------------------------------------------------- (d) ----------------------------------------------------------- (e) ---------------------------------------------------------
upload_2017-9-28_16-28-6.png
upload_2017-9-28_16-30-32.png
upload_2017-9-28_16-31-32.png
upload_2017-9-28_16-34-35.png
upload_2017-9-28_16-35-58.png

(f) ----------------------------------------------------------------- (g)
upload_2017-9-28_16-37-45.png
upload_2017-9-28_16-47-45.png

. . . w/ artwork on t'other side of postcards forming the front image of boxset/steelbook front image (and of course of postcard (g)):-
upload_2017-9-28_16-46-31.png

• Helpful Post
  • Thanks
Reactions: K.i.T and AlexMacOl
Anyone at Arrow UK we can contact re a UK release? Never imported from Amazon US but can't imagine it would arrive unscathed if it's packaged in their usual naff packaging

Definitely up for a UK release. Never seen it and its one of my wife's favourite films so I could definitely get away with buying it.

Don't fancy $40 though. That's $60 by the time it gets here. Bit steep.

Amazon price is the msrp price which is what they do with all new website listings

Actual price will drop before release date and can have various price changes as in go up/down before release date price
After release date price can drop or increase more than release date price

I would estimate this will be $21.99 by release date

Price by release date will be lot less than price listed now
Pre Order price promise will give you the lowest price when price drops after you have ordered upto release date
If you pre order now you will get the lowest price as it's at the msrp price at the moment

Arrow not replied yet regarding a UK steelbook release or even announced the USA steelbook release

Last edited:
How does one get in touch with premium retailers to make such recommendations?

It depends, I always see people asking over social media like Twitter or Instagram. Even zavvi get asked about titles all the time

I imagine some customers who talk to retailers over email ask if a certain film is coming out too or getting special treatment. The one I asked I talk to quite regular anyway over email and just asked if any of the ones I mentioned were considered at anytime

But lets not forget that many times you'll still get that "right" answer ... as you are a customer and or potential customer ... so you get things like "Yeah we'll definitely consider that, thanks!" ... "I'll pass that along!" "We'll check on that, great idea, thanks" etc. ;) Doesn't mean any of that is happening. As opposed to "It's coming out in 3 months" in which usually that is not how people announce anyways. However it is nice to hear when its not possible, but most rarely say that.

Just saying. But it is good to pass a long feedback cause if they get more feedback of the same title that may behoove them to pursue. Behind the scenes so many things happen with titles that never come to be that it definitely teaches those to not announce stuff till its official and or don't shown off old concepts until they are dead. lol. HDN has at least 100 concepts.

hmmm let's see if i can show off one random one here .... have a lil fun eh
good-will-hunting-version3.jpg

But lets not forget that many times you'll still get that "right" answer ... as you are a customer and or potential customer ... so you get things like "Yeah we'll definitely consider that, thanks!" ... "I'll pass that along!" "We'll check on that, great idea, thanks" etc. ;) Doesn't mean any of that is happening. As opposed to "It's coming out in 3 months" in which usually that is not how people announce anyways. However it is nice to hear when its not possible, but most rarely say that.

Just saying. But it is good to pass a long feedback cause if they get more feedback of the same title that may behoove them to pursue. Behind the scenes so many things happen with titles that never come to be that it definitely teaches those to not announce stuff till its official and or don't shown off old concepts until they are dead. lol. HDN has at least 100 concepts.

hmmm let's see if i can show off one random one here .... have a lil fun ehView attachment 336228
Wow that looks like it would've been a stunning release. That would suck to have one in the works and to get it just cancelled. What's the furthest an HDN release has gone only to be cancelled?

Wow that looks like it would've been a stunning release. That would suck to have one in the works and to get it just cancelled. What's the furthest an HDN release has gone only to be cancelled?

Most disappointing things that happen is when people in positions that are supporters of us and "get it" then leave those Companies or switch positions etc so you have to work on explaining things all over again and often times people like their own creations not picking stuff up. If that makes sense.

So most things dont get cancelled just not approved or not to the standard that we feel the Community would want.

Had plenty of things we backed out on prior to any commitments of course that were just not complete ... ie. stuff without discs mostly.

We have alot of stuff in the works right now and a lot actually about to get announced, bust mostly just little neat things as opposed to like movie editions. But those are in the works tho.

I guess now im derailing the thread.

Glad to see Arrow on steel tho ;) Loved their older ones ... nice heavy editions with booklets and such.