Donnie Darko (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

bigfub

Dreaming Dredd Ninja
Premium Supporter
Sep 13, 2012
Warwick, UK
Release date: November 20, 2017
Purchase links: Zavvi - Arrow Films
Price: £17.99 (Zavvi) - £18.00 (Arrow Films)
Notes: Region B locked

11566066-1474521391129179.jpg

11566066-9574521391246596.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine today, not that great the steel, don’t care what other people are saying the finish could be a lot better, not zero and bordering on streaky.
Too much rose tinted glasses going on here

Got mine today, not that great the steel, don’t care what other people are saying the finish could be a lot better, not zero and bordering on streaky.
Too much rose tinted glasses going on here

Yes, someone is wearing tinted glasses - sunglasses even - and it ain't me.
"bordering on streaky", "not zero", "finish could be a lot better" - No, no and no.

Splendid steelbook. End of . . . ;)

Came across these pics.

*Note the disc is marked 'Region B'*

View attachment 345365 View attachment 345363 View attachment 345364

Also, I don't know why I assumed it would contain both cuts of the film. Looks like this is just the theatrical cut....
It's probably some thought it would be same contents of the amaray release to think it would include the director's cut
It's not listed in the product description it would be 2 discs and include the director's cut

1 Disc only with theatrical cut was listed for the USA steelbook release

Zavvi did not list the contents details on the website beside listing 1 disc

The director's cut was only available in the 2 Disc Amaray release and the Limited Edition release

Arrow Video though probably should have included both discs to be same as the amaray but decided for whatever reasons to be 1 disc only

Disc 1 is the theatrical cut in all editions

Finally opened the package today. Looks nice through the clear wrap.

Can’t open it as it’s a present for wife for Xmas.

I got a tweet back from Zavvi & Arrow Films that the disc is region free so either they are lying or just used the UK disc artwork.
UK Steelbook
Blu-ray Disc tested in Region A player
Region B locked

Region A Steelbook release is available in USA from various USA retailers

UK Region B
USA Region A
It's the same Disc 1 from previous UK and USA releases
UK has Bbfc rating Logos on Disc

Last edited:
UK Steelbook
Blu-ray Disc tested in Region A player
Region B locked

Region A Steelbook release is available in USA
Yea I only got it from Zavvi because it was cheaper.

Edit: They screwed up and I’m getting a refund. Too bad I really liked it but not paying $48 Canadian for the US where the UK was $30 Canadian.

Last edited:
Hello please forgive me if I am being an idiot but I have 2 questions if anyone could spare a few minutes to answer

1. Is the theatrical verison the one with echo and the bunnymen at the start? (My preferred version)
2. Is this a 4k film or a 1080 film that has come from a 4k restoration. I get confused when it says 4k restoration!

Thanks for your time

1. Is the theatrical verison the one with echo and the bunnymen at the start? (My preferred version)
From Wikipedia:
"The Killing Moon" was featured in the original theatrical version of the opening sequence of the cult film Donnie Darko. However, in the director's cut version of the film, the song is replaced by INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart", with "The Killing Moon" being placed later in the movie.
2. Is this a 4k film or a 1080 film that has come from a 4k restoration. I get confused when it says 4k restoration!
Only a Blu-ray disc is included, no 4K UHD disc.